It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqis Skeptical Of U.S. Probe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Source

By Nelson Hernandez and Muhannad Saif Aldin
Washington Post Foreign Service
Sunday, June 4, 2006; Page A14

BAGHDAD, June 3 -- The Iraqi government and residents of a village where U.S. soldiers killed as many as a dozen civilians in March took a skeptical view Saturday of an American investigation that ruled in the troops' favor, saying they wanted a new probe of the incident.

An aide to Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said Iraq would pursue its own probe into the incident in Ishaqi, a village north of Baghdad, and would seek an apology if the U.S. soldiers were proved guilty. "We ought to do our own investigation into this and reach the fact of what happened," Adnan Ali al-Kadhimi said in a telephone interview Saturday. "Our own conclusion may not be the same as theirs."

So this will continue since Iraqis are not pleased with the "clearing of wrongdoing" by the Marines.
Its not over yet, folks. I do have one question. Who conducted the investigation in the first place? Our military?
While i think most of our people in the armed forces are good honest and went there for a noble cause, i do think the stress of fighting a war with no end, and seemingly a war that shouldnt have happened, have caused them to behave in extreme ways.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
It's a sad indicator of Iraqi powerlessness wrt the US that an apology is all they are looking for. The US pretends to investigate as part of the "rotten apple" approach, and clears the soldiers: the Iraqis genuinely investigate, but then pretend to take action.

Tragic.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
would the west have accepted the nazis investigating the nazis after ww2. no they would not.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Yes, dg, it was the military that conducted the investigation and cleared the soldiers.

They got their man, but unfortunately they got some civilians too. This will continue to happen as long as civilians harbor terrorists.

To imply that the military would not conduct a fair investigation is wrong. They are prepared to hang those involved in Haditha. I would much rather be investigated and prosecuted by a ciivilian than the military.

Let the Iraqis conduct their own investigation. That is their right.

This is nothing new. When has a gov't ever totally agreed with an investigation by an occupying force on it's own soldiers?

new topics

top topics

join