It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

questions before system recovery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Hello, I'll try to keep this short!
I got good help in here before and don't know where else to post.
A few weeks ago I thought I was doing the right thing and went through some steps to clear my PC of browser trojans, search for viruses, and whatever else?
I wish i never bothered, I was told to download "Hijack this", "spybot sd", and i removed my preinstalled mcafee virusscan demo wich was past due and nonupdateable without paying, In place of that I downloaded "Panda scan Titanium's free trial" from download.com.
after running all these and clearing the browser trojans and spyware and running virusscans, I noticed in "start\connect to\show all connection", where I have icons for my I.S.P.'s there use to be a firewall I could enable in the properties\advanced tab, but now it says the WMI could be corrupt, and i should do a system restore to an earlier date.
Well I already tried various restore dates, and the process just hangs and does'nt even initiate,
I then looked towards windows update,
I have gotten all the important stuff prior to Sep.2003, and I just downloaded everything that came up anyway, or at least tried!
I had to do every "fix" they give for certain download/install issues for windows updates, and the files never did install even after letting it sit for more than 2 hours,
everything is really laggy and hangs, like where i said i have that firewall option, (it hangs)...would that be my windows firewall or an ISP based firewall? I did uninstall a mcafee firewall along with the other mcafee software, but I don't think I ever ran the installer, (didnt know how then)!!
I'm about to just do a destructive system recovery, did it before, but I have alot of pictures and files I'd like to save!! I have some cd/rw's and some floppy's, and on this pc I have "ditto migration kit" along with an older pc if i migrate some date to the older pc (wich is uses an older os and doesn't have ditto mig kit), can i put the date back on this pc somehow afterwards, how do i link up the two systems for the transfer?
any other possible solutions for the troubles described above would be immensly appreciated,

my specs are:
amd athlon 1.4
512mb ddr
60gb
bora bora? A7M266-M
gf4 ti4600 128
sounblaster live 5.1
winxp home 2002
dsl, no routers or hubs
???

thanks for any help in advance!

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   
From what you've explained, the firewall you are referring to is simply the inclusive "Internet Connection Firewall" that is part of Windows XP. I have never known it not be displayed in the Advanced Tab before.

As for mirroring your data, I would take the easy route and use CD-RWs unless you want to attempt a serial connection between your PCs. I'm a bit fuzzy on networking I'm afraid but I thought someone should at least respond to your request for assistance.

Hopefully this sparks off a more helpful reply.

new topics

join