It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Diplomat Killed in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
One Russian diplomat has been killed, and 4 kidnapped, in an ambush in the Mansour district of Baghdad. The Russian government is confirming the death and kidnappings, but is offering no further comment at this time.

www.foxnews.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq — Four Russian diplomats were kidnapped in western Baghdad Saturday and another one was killed, a Russian news agency said.

According to police, witnesses at the scene told them than gunmen opened fire on a car that belonged to the Russian Embassy in west Baghdad's upscale Mansour district. Interior Ministry Lt. Col. Falah al-Mohamedawi said one person was killed in the incident, which took place just outside the embassy.

The Russian consul in Baghdad told Russia's RIA Novosti news agency that one Russian diplomat had been killed and four abducted.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Russia opposed the invasion of Iraq, and has supplied no troops toward the effort. They maintain a diplomatic presence in Iraq.

This is not the first attack on diplomats in Iraq. Other countries include the UAE, Algeria, Egypt and Morocco.

I wonder what is the motivation of these attacks on diplomats, especially since in this case, it was against a country that opposed the invasion.

Related News Links:
in.today.reut ers.com
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Maybe they don't know on who they are shooting? How can they make the difference between a russian and a american or british diplomate? Would you even be able to recognize one from the other? They just shoot at the foreigner, the invader without difference, they aren't racists.

[edit on 3-6-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It is interesting that they took Russians. But as the poster before me said: 'maybe they didnt know.'

And, if they didnt know it will be interesting to see what they do when they DO find out. Especially given Russians position.

They may let them go(prob not)
they may kill them (50-50)
or they may use them as a bargaining tool and either succeed(prob not) or kill the Russians when abducters fail to get what they seek(prob)

like I said It will be interesting to see what happens
I DO hope they make it out ok

[edit on 3-6-2006 by TONE23]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You wish maybe they didnt know. I can post other kidnappings as well as killings of other diplomats from other countries especially Arab countries who didn't support the invasion of Iraq. The motivation is to deter nations from recognizing the current govt. in power.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
deltaboy, sorry I didnt get a chance to state that side of this event.

If they DID know then it will be interesting to see what they are going to do.
What will they ask for? the retreat of all foreign armies and diplmoats? Something from Russia specifically? and if so, what in the would they ask Russia for?

just some questions I pondered from reading this.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Maybe they don't know on who they are shooting? How can they make the difference between a russian and a american or british diplomate? Would you even be able to recognize one from the other?

This from the CBC:

Associated Press Television News footage showed the embassy car, a white SUV with tinted windows, diplomatic licence plates, and a small tag that had "Russian Embassy" written on it in English and Arabic.
www.cbc.ca...

I suppose they could be illiterate, or as you implied, equal opportunity terrorists.

Edit typo

[edit on 3-6-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Is it possible this was an operation by the scorpions, or a similar group, to spur Russia to accept the coalition position?

Most will agree that there's no evidence to support that claim - let's face it, when you're in a warzone, a car-full of masked gunmen could be anyone. They could be Iraqi police moonlighting, they could be US-trained paramilitaries flexing their muscles against a reticent Russia, they could be Sunni extremists trying to make a point about sovereignty, they could have been Shiite militia-men 'protesting' the Russians' support of the Sunni position.

Who knows?

Nobody, at this point.

That's what makes the whole situation so unstable, in my mind. The fact that any four guys can don masks and grab guns and go to town, shooting and kidnapping and killing, with relative impunity, well it's bad news. How does one investigate in that environment?

Edit: It just occurred to me, they must have been mad to be riding around in a car without bulletproofing. There's no reason to ride in a normal car in Iraq, way too dangerous (especially for diplomats). They should have armored Mercedes, blast-wrapped and bullet-proofed, with flamethrowers mounted on the undercarriage for emergencies.

Right? It's not so expensive, a couple hundred thousand will get you a nice, safe ride to work. Isn't it worth that, and more, to retain and protect valuable consular employees?

[edit on 3-6-2006 by WyrdeOne]

new topics

top topics

join