It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Media Says Skin Cancer And Other Ailments On the Rise...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I have been thinking a bit about all the anti-sun stuff that we seem to hear everywhere. I mean, I don't exactly want to get skin cancer myself, but it seems as if some entity - I don't know whom, perhaps the makers of sunscreen? Are going overboard in emphasizing that people not only wear sunscreen outside at all times, but to also be sure to wear it underneath our clothing as well.

Recently, I heard on the news that there are now clothes being marketed that actually have sunscreen somehow already on them.

What I'm trying to say, is that for "eons" (for lack of knowing exactly how long) people have been walking the earth long before sunscreen was ever invented. People have been exposed naturally to the sun for a very long time. So, how can suddenly, now, after sunscreen has been invented and is available to all who want it, skin cancer be on the rise? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

This is just my opinion, of course, but isn't some exposure to the sun normal and natural, even perhaps healthy? I'm no expert, but I understand that Vitamin D is very important to our general health, and from what I understand, it can be taken as a supplement, but is not very well absorbed without some exposure to the sun(?) something like that.

Anyway, perhaps this is just a rant, but I'm just tired of every time I turn on the TV, it seems as if we're not being actually delivered news, but are being told one more thing that "studies show" we really ought to alter our lifestyle to fit the agenda of whomever..... Eat less sugar, eat a low carb diet, don't give our children whole milk, take the pop machines out of the schools, don't let our children go outside without a good coat of sunscreen, don't make any more decisions for yourselves, you will be told what to do if you just watch the news. Also, now we have all been informed that if we have young children, they will be the first generation to not outlive their parents. That is always a pleasant thing to be reminded of on a daily basis.

And just why will our children grow so much more obese and develop diabetes and other such diseases so much more easily than generations before? Is it what the government wants? Does it have something to do with the chemicals they are putting in our food/water supply?

O.K. just had to get that out. Anyone else have any feelings or thoughts on the matter?

CyberKat

[edit on 6/3/2006 by CyberKat]

[edit on 6/3/2006 by CyberKat]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I heard something on the news recently about the use of sunscreen. It said that vitamin D absorption could be compromised with the too scrupulous use of sunscreen:
www.tampabays10.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well, it's summer time, which is when people are most likely to buy sun screen, so it makes sense to plug it heavily now.

On top of that, UV-rays can go through some types of clothing. The clothing may block some of them, but it's not much. It would just take longer to get a burn under the clothed areas. Skin cancer is also one of the most common types of cancer, and it's good to promote awareness of it. Afterall, one in every three new cancer diagnoses comes from skin cancer.

Skin cancer is simply on the rise due to the increase of UV rays reaching the Earth's surface. Besides, we don't actually know how many people got skin cancer millenia ago.

[edit on 6/4/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberKat
What I'm trying to say, is that for "eons" (for lack of knowing exactly how long) people have been walking the earth long before sunscreen was ever invented. People have been exposed naturally to the sun for a very long time. So, how can suddenly, now, after sunscreen has been invented and is available to all who want it, skin cancer be on the rise? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I could not agree more. I know a lot of my family and a lot of people I know have become paranoid with this situation. I put sunscreen on maybe once a year at the most and can't remember being burnt. I guess im just lucky i havent been caught in the sun all day.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This is crap.

I made a great contribution to this forum – which, as far as I can tell, didn’t violate any of the forum’s myriad of “rules.” I just discovered that I am not allowed to post, on my own thread even, only AFTER taking the time to prepare another post.

I came here to communicate and not to negotiate random rules - obstructing the process - for God knows what reason.

top topics

join