It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean vortex 'death trap' discovered

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The team who discovered it said it is an ocean vortex.
Murdoch University´s report about the Ocean Vortex

Even though, I would love seeing more info, pictures, or whatever is available...

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Howdy folks...

This is interesting, if it can be seen from space perhaps you can see it with the

Tate Satellite

Warning it takes a while to load...

Also here are the times it will be passing Sidney this month...

www.tate.org.uk...

Good luck...

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
I have been checking around, and look at this!

(Please, follow the link to read the whole note.)

I thought I had to share it with you, because it is the first information I have found on an ocean vortex...

Ptolomeo,

From your reference:

In the days leading up to a pole shift, the stopped rotation of the Earth causes the water formerly pulled toward the equator by rotation to equalize. The water at the equator starts flowing toward the poles. When the 12th Planet is positioned between the Earth and the Sun, water in any large body will heap up, drawn by the gravity pull of this large body just as the tides are drawn by the Moon. During the pole shift, the Earth's waters are first pulled in the direction of the shift, along with the Earth's crust, and then blocked in this motion by any land mass that has ceased to slide.

Man, there is no such thing as this kind of "pole shift." There is no "twelfth planet," and the Earth's rotation cannot possibly be "stopped" like this without much greater consequences than some puny little ocean vortices. The complete and utter destruction of all life, and much of the Earth's crust, would ensue. Likely there would be no ocean after some wandering interplanetary mass interacted with earth in such a way.

Harte

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by apex
Doesn't a pole shift basically turn off the protection from cosmic rays and all solar radiation?

That would be a magnetic pole shift, which is happening now.

What the above was alluring too is a physical pole shift, where the actual earths crust displaces.

As for the poster who claims such a thing couldn't happen, Einstein himself postulated on the possibility. Now, I'm not a believer, per se, but physically it isn't impossible.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpspace
The vortex is travelling around 5 km/hr and is just off the coast of Rockingham.

The interesting thing is that the satellite photo shows an island at the dead centre of it.

Sorry, can't show the photo - I only saw it on the news tonight.

Cheers

JS

This sounds a lot like Lost

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
What the above was alluring too is a physical pole shift, where the actual earths crust displaces.

As for the poster who claims such a thing couldn't happen, Einstein himself postulated on the possibility. Now, I'm not a believer, per se, but physically it isn't impossible.

Einstein was a believer in a time before anything at all was known about the tectonic plates. You know, Newton was somewhat of a believer in astrology as well. Galileo believed that flies form magically out of rotten meat.

The pole shift that the reference was talking about was one I recognize from Sitchen's ignorant (non)understanding of astrophysics. Of course, our pole could shift like that of Neptune given a large enough impact. This involves the entire planet "tumbling" forward in orbit, a situation so far (luckily) prevented for us by our rather large satellite. Such a tumbling wouldn't change the axis of rotation however. For that, you'd basically have to obliterate the entire planet and let the pieces re-form.

On the other hand, there is some slight evidence of a pole shift that may have occurred over millions of years in the distant past. This sort of shift is so slow that no upset occurs, other than the tidal effects on continental plates differ once the shift is complete. See:
True Polar Wander
This sort of "wander" over millions of years is thought to be due to various small imbalances and disturbances in the Earth's angular momentum. Such variations can be additive at times and can possibly cause a slow drift of the pole, meaning the geographical location could drift away from the center of axial rotation.

There is no "body" that can "pass close by" the Earth and cause any kind of pole shift at all. Any extremely large body passing close to Earth would basically either steal it from it's orbit, or fling it away, out of it's orbit. There could result the sort of "tumbling" I mentioned from such an action, but like I said, there would likely be no ocean, no life and not much original crust left after such a cataclysm. Even so, it's extremely likely that the axis of rotation would still remain the same, meaning the pole would not shift, the planet would. And besides, once removed from orbit, what then is the definition of the Earth's "pole" anyway, when you consider the surface completely changed?

Anyway, there is no such thing as a "crustal shift," which is the sort of impossibility I was referring to.

Harte

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Thats not true about Einstein not knowing about tectonics. It has been around for quite some time, definately before Einstein.

There are several different things that can be implied by the term "pole shift"

1. Axial shift. Where the entire planet, core and all, changes the tilt of the Axis. The Earth does this all the time with the processional wobble
  2. Crust shift. This is the "far out" one, the one Zitichin et al allure to. Also the one Einstien postulated. Imagine the crust slipping round the core, like a skin of an orange. Probably impossible, but then, what do we know?
  3. Magnetic pole shift. This is where the magnetic poles move around the earth due to EM forces within the core. This is also happening now.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
@Harte - respectfully, there most definitely is a 12th planet... and more. Also, scientists are not positive of the orbit that these outside planets take... who's to say that they won't pass between us and the sun at some point? I won't get into it too deeply for you to comprehend... we'll just leave it at there is a 12th planet and polar shifts is entirely possible.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Greetings...

Here's some pics I found of what may be the vortex. It's actually of the whole earth but you can expand to regular size and scroll around till you get to the west coast of Australia:
02Jun2006 to 04Jun2006 (Day)
02Jun2006 to 04Jun2006 (night)

This is the original site I came across if anyone is interested in more pics showing previous dates:
Ocean Web Color

I was able to take a screen shot so the pic wouldn't be so large, but I wasn't quite sure how to post it here.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has been able to find the coordinates yet?

God Bless

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Thats not true about Einstein not knowing about tectonics. It has been around for quite some time, definately before Einstein.

The theory of plate tectonics has been around for a while, it's true. But only because of the way the continents fit together like a puzzle. IOW, it was only one among a double handful of geological theories, all with equal standing (which means no evidence for any of them) until the 1960's, when plate tectonics ("continental drift") was actually established as fact. Several years after the death of Einstein.

Harte

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Great find once again loam!

I am curious as to which direction this is rotating. I know it sounds silly, but I would really like to know.

I am also curious about CSIRO having a hand in this. Cant help but wonder if this isnt man made. I did a search on csiro and vortexes, found it curious that they have such an interest with creating vortexes.

[edit on 6-6-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
There was a debate on the crustal shift caused by a magnetic pole flip on ats about a year ago. The thread was quite thorough in its examination of the issue from both sides of the argument and may be worth a look if you are interested in examining the theory of crustal shifts as they relate to pole flips. The link to the thread is here

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
I have been checking around, and look at this!

(Please, follow the link to read the whole note.)

I thought I had to share it with you, because it is the first information I have found on an ocean vortex...

Ptolomeo,

From your reference:

In the days leading up to a pole shift, the stopped rotation of the Earth causes the water formerly pulled toward the equator by rotation to equalize. The water at the equator starts flowing toward the poles. When the 12th Planet is positioned between the Earth and the Sun, water in any large body will heap up, drawn by the gravity pull of this large body just as the tides are drawn by the Moon. During the pole shift, the Earth's waters are first pulled in the direction of the shift, along with the Earth's crust, and then blocked in this motion by any land mass that has ceased to slide.

Man, there is no such thing as this kind of "pole shift." There is no "twelfth planet," and the Earth's rotation cannot possibly be "stopped" like this without much greater consequences than some puny little ocean vortices. The complete and utter destruction of all life, and much of the Earth's crust, would ensue. Likely there would be no ocean after some wandering interplanetary mass interacted with earth in such a way.

Harte

Thanks for your comments, Harte. Not that I agree with the information I quoted, as I was only posting the first thing I found in relation with the thread. Even though, thank you for your opinion about it, as that is really the purpose of the forum, to share... And to learn from other´s knowledge.

In relation with a 12th planet...
Personally, I cannot deny nor confirm the theory.
What I am sure of is that it is not the first time for the Earth and inhabitants to believe something which was later confirmed to be wrong...
Therefore, I do not want to take any party. Besides, I do not think there is any proof to confirm the existence of a 12th planet, nor a proof to deny it.
Furthermore, who has travelled that far to confirm or deny the existence of another planet?

With regard to a "pole shift", I assume scientists can - imagine - what would happen but I do not think we have a history record of what happened on Earth, the real consequences of a pole shift to Earth or a similar planet. And I am not asking for theories.

Let´s think about it.
Sincerely, it seems a complex situation...

For or against all the theories and comments expressed on this thread, we have to admit that Loam´s threads are always most interesting and arise reactions of all kinds.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join