It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I tell if my Phone has been tapped?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
I've had a little problem with my phone lately. Suddenly I started to hear noise whenever I was talking to someone. But the weirdest thing is that my phone started to ring every night at 5 am. Only one or two rings, and then silence. Like if someone was calling me, and then changed their mind and hung up. The first few times, I thought it was odd, and that someone maybe dialed the wrong number. But when it happened again and again

I've heard of this before. Have you checked the settings in your phone for tampering?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
We have a place in the UK near here that is described as a "listening post".
It's huge.

I believe it encompasses military communications to and from allies and our forces also.

And considering the only people who use basic radio communications these days are some taxi companies and truckers, it must be used to monitor mobile communications, land lines and so on.

It's had a massive development program for a couple of years now, so whatever they're doing up there it must be worthwhile. There are adverts for employment opportunities for everything from security staff to office space planners every month or so.

Still, I'll happily believe they have no time to monitor every person going about their business and that they focus on the real problems.

I actually once considered going for a job there. Looks like a fascinating place.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
You would not know your phone was being tapped. If done legally by law enforcement then I guess you would learn about it in court afterward. The call would be intercepted passively at the telco's switch, you would not hear any *clic* on the line as portrayed in movies.

Even those off-the-shelves Harris-Dracon buttsets does not make any suspicious noise when clipped to the line, I've tried it, however I have no clue if this would tip off a voltage fluctuation detector.

Your cell phone can be tapped at the switch level as usual by law enforcement. Or a clever eavesdropper could intercept the radio signal with a scanner. GSM strongest A5/1 encryption can be broken with a personal computer. I don't know about iDEN or CDMA protocols, but chances are those algorithms are as weak as GSM.

As for VoIP, there already are a couples of Linux softwares floating around on the internet to intercept that thing.

Be afraid, very afraid! *Cue the Alfred Hitchcock's sound effect*

Yeah the government is using this on all inbound and outbound
call of all ppl in the US on or not on watch lists.

It also scans all internet traffic of all kinds including this post.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
call 202-456-1414
and you will know you phone is tapped.

or

There could be several problems with this...

1. You could be on crack ( sounds like it )

2. It could be true

3. Your on Meth

4. Combination of 1 and 3

For 1,3,4 I suggest getting some help.

For 2 I would suggest switching phone providers along with internet companies and see if that works. If it doesnt.. Contact the police via person and see if they will come to your house and if they hear it.

If they dont hear it result to number 5

5. STOP WATCHING SO MUCH TV. You can always hear clicking noises over any phone and over any phone company. Uhhh.. if you are truly concerned about this, i suggest you contact the police. Especially if you know who might have done the bugging. If you google, 'how can i tell if my phone line is tapped', a site will come up that tells of a number you can dial on your phone to find out. Good luck Are you a Democrat? Then, yes, it's probably secretly wiretapped.

In all seriousness, you probably just have a problem with the line. I'd call the phone company and see if they can send a technician out to check the lines and maybe mention it to the technician while he's out there. He might be able to give you some information on what to look for and keep an eye out for anything suspicious while he's working.

Wiretapping is a crime -- a federal one, I believe. so maybe your local law enforcement might be able to answer some questions as well. But I still think it's probably either just bad phone equipment or a problem on your line. I think you should try and tape the conversation.only you need to be the one who calls the house.Get a wife a Girlfriend or Someone who is always there besides you to answer the phone. see if you can here the clicks on and off. if you can record them.Then decide who may have a grudge over you,or least like you...Or just maybe someone is looking for some imformation from you.but try and decide that.and once you think that you have got everything.take the tape to a detective.
:-)Tha is what i would do only way someone can tap your phone that isnt part of the justice system is directly from your lines...
go check out ever inch from the pole to the house or in the house as well if you that person or persons can get in ur house that is..or the main junction box for the neaghborhood
if its the justice system.. then no..
you will not know unless you spend a few bucks on equipment
that can detect that sort of thing.. and its not cheap.. Well, for sake of argument, maybe your line is being tapped... here is a deal for $300 that will tell you if your line is being tapped. On the other hand, this 2nd website claims that many such devices are a rip-off...

My lawyer told me once that I could just hook a tape recorder to my phone and record the call without notifying the other person that I was tapping their line (without doing the supposed "signal" beeping that supposedly is required to let people know their line is being recorded.), but in our case, we were merely documenting that a telemarketer kept calling us even after we mailed them a "do not call" letter. call this #
101-073-2177-0988-9664
They will repeat the phone # that you are calling from and then a bunch of zeros. The # at the end of all of those zeros is whats important.
1'--never tapped and not presently tapped
2--tapped in the past, but no longer tapped
3--presently tapped, be careful what you say. If you are indeed being tapped by the government , you will never know until the evidence is presented against you in court. The only way you would hear clicks is if a person broke in over the line and went "click, click, click."

If you have another device on your line, it is more than likely at or very near your residence. Again, if it is done right, you won't hear a click.

All that being said, if you have a cordless phone anywhere on your line, EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT USING IT, it is possible to listen in on your conversation. You are broadcasting a signal in the open air. Anyone who knows a little about this can listen in on your frequency.

Even after all that, never say anything across lines unless you want everyone to hear it. Start making suspicious claims while you are on the phone. Something like, let's meet at the corner of xxx street to share out the loot. Then see if anyone turns up to arrest you.

The answers post by the user, for information only, CeQnA.com does not guarantee the right.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
call 202-456-1414
and you will know you phone is tapped.

or

There could be several problems with this...

1. You could be on crack ( sounds like it )

2. It could be true

3. Your on Meth

4. Combination of 1 and 3

For 1,3,4 I suggest getting some help.

For 2 I would suggest switching phone providers along with internet companies and see if that works. If it doesnt.. Contact the police via person and see if they will come to your house and if they hear it.

If they dont hear it result to number 5

5. STOP WATCHING SO MUCH TV. You can always hear clicking noises over any phone and over any phone company. Uhhh.. if you are truly concerned about this, i suggest you contact the police. Especially if you know who might have done the bugging. If you google, 'how can i tell if my phone line is tapped', a site will come up that tells of a number you can dial on your phone to find out. Good luck Are you a Democrat? Then, yes, it's probably secretly wiretapped.

In all seriousness, you probably just have a problem with the line. I'd call the phone company and see if they can send a technician out to check the lines and maybe mention it to the technician while he's out there. He might be able to give you some information on what to look for and keep an eye out for anything suspicious while he's working.

Wiretapping is a crime -- a federal one, I believe. so maybe your local law enforcement might be able to answer some questions as well. But I still think it's probably either just bad phone equipment or a problem on your line. I think you should try and tape the conversation.only you need to be the one who calls the house.Get a wife a Girlfriend or Someone who is always there besides you to answer the phone. see if you can here the clicks on and off. if you can record them.Then decide who may have a grudge over you,or least like you...Or just maybe someone is looking for some imformation from you.but try and decide that.and once you think that you have got everything.take the tape to a detective.
:-)Tha is what i would do only way someone can tap your phone that isnt part of the justice system is directly from your lines...
go check out ever inch from the pole to the house or in the house as well if you that person or persons can get in ur house that is..or the main junction box for the neaghborhood
if its the justice system.. then no..
you will not know unless you spend a few bucks on equipment
that can detect that sort of thing.. and its not cheap.. Well, for sake of argument, maybe your line is being tapped... here is a deal for $300 that will tell you if your line is being tapped. On the other hand, this 2nd website claims that many such devices are a rip-off...

My lawyer told me once that I could just hook a tape recorder to my phone and record the call without notifying the other person that I was tapping their line (without doing the supposed "signal" beeping that supposedly is required to let people know their line is being recorded.), but in our case, we were merely documenting that a telemarketer kept calling us even after we mailed them a "do not call" letter. call this #
101-073-2177-0988-9664
They will repeat the phone # that you are calling from and then a bunch of zeros. The # at the end of all of those zeros is whats important.
1'--never tapped and not presently tapped
2--tapped in the past, but no longer tapped
3--presently tapped, be careful what you say. If you are indeed being tapped by the government , you will never know until the evidence is presented against you in court. The only way you would hear clicks is if a person broke in over the line and went "click, click, click."

If you have another device on your line, it is more than likely at or very near your residence. Again, if it is done right, you won't hear a click.

All that being said, if you have a cordless phone anywhere on your line, EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT USING IT, it is possible to listen in on your conversation. You are broadcasting a signal in the open air. Anyone who knows a little about this can listen in on your frequency.

Even after all that, never say anything across lines unless you want everyone to hear it. Start making suspicious claims while you are on the phone. Something like, let's meet at the corner of xxx street to share out the loot. Then see if anyone turns up to arrest you.

The answers post by the user, for information only, CeQnA.com does not guarantee the right.
Why are you telling us to call 202-456-1414 and we would know if our phone is tapped? I dialed it. Why would you say to call that certain place?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Time_is_now

Are you serious? If you are here is the best way to tell...

Do you live in the United States? Britain? Canada? Australia? Russia? China?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, YOUR PHONE IS TAPPED!

If you live in the United States your phone has been tapped since the early 80's under the Echelon program, but don;t fret it is not only your phone but all electronic communications such as E-Mail (Carnivore) Cell Phones and even baby monitors believe it or not.

The History Channel did a show on Echelon in History Undercover or History's Mysteries, I don't recall, but they are doing it. So stop fretting and worrying, IT IS TAPPED!

If you want to watch it I have it Here in AVI format

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Seeing as all telecommunications are digital these days, or at least pass through digital systems for the majority of their routing, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to detect whether your phone is being tapped. Absolutely, 100% impossible.

It's not the 80s any more. There is no such thing as an analogue phone-tapping where the tell-tale 'clicks' are heard. That is an anachronism, and a dangerous one at that.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I strongly suspect that my cel phone has been tapped from time to time. Usually I'll hear a lot of unusual line noise, I'll change the number and it will go away for a time. Right now I am hearing a "click" about 20 seconds into the conversation. Time to change numbers again.... sigh.. does it even matter?

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Happy New Year, 2009.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
ok well get this my friend had given me a number while back to call a place to c it your phone has been tapped and if it is it makes a certi noise and we tested it and it workd do those things still exist

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
You would not know your phone was being tapped. If done legally by law enforcement then I guess you would learn about it in court afterward. The call would be intercepted passively at the telco's switch, you would not hear any *clic* on the line as portrayed in movies.

Even those off-the-shelves Harris-Dracon buttsets does not make any suspicious noise when clipped to the line, I've tried it, however I have no clue if this would tip off a voltage fluctuation detector.

Your cell phone can be tapped at the switch level as usual by law enforcement. Or a clever eavesdropper could intercept the radio signal with a scanner. GSM strongest A5/1 encryption can be broken with a personal computer. I don't know about iDEN or CDMA protocols, but chances are those algorithms are as weak as GSM.

As for VoIP, there already are a couples of Linux softwares floating around on the internet to intercept that thing.

Be afraid, very afraid! *Cue the Alfred Hitchcock's sound effect*

My phone was tapped some years ago, and there indeed was a "clic" sound. That is what prompted me to call my phone company. I was told there was a tap on my line but that they did not know who was doing it or where it was coming from.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

That is most likely just a bad connection. There's no evidence it's anything else.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join