It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minutmean mobile launchers????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Odd i thought all minutemans were deployed in silo's???Or maybe it's the midgetman?

[edit on 2-6-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
That might be an MX launcher. If I remember correctly, originally MX was supposed to be deployed along large closed tracks, with silos distributed at different points around the track. The missiles would be randomly rotated among the various silos, so that in order to take each missile, the Russians would have to take out three or four silos.

Clever idea really, but the idea proved to be too expensive to be practical.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I belive a minuteman wastested out of the back of a C-130 or other transport plane. It was dropped out of the back with parachutes which aligned the nose skywards, whereby the rocket mtor kicked in.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Those aren't mobile launchers for Minuteman or MX missiles. Those photographs are from a silo loading sequence. The missiles are shipped to the site via truck in weatherproof shipping cannisters, then tipped vertical and loaded into the silo.

Scroll down this page about halfway to see photos of the loading procedure:
www.geocities.com...

As for the air-launch of a Minuteman, that did indeed take place in the 1970's, but the aircraft in question was a C-5A Galaxy, not a C-130 Hercules. The idea was to get more range and / or payload from the existing missile by giving it a 'free ride' to 30,000 feet or so. The release and launch (at least from all reports) went very well from the missile's perspective, but I feel hugely sorry for the aircrew...several thousand pounds of cargo sliding aft in the cargo bay, then leaving the aircraft completely would (I imagine) have some 'interesting' effects on aircraft trim.

Brother Stormhammer

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
That might be an MX launcher. If I remember correctly, originally MX was supposed to be deployed along large closed tracks, with silos distributed at different points around the track. The missiles would be randomly rotated among the various silos, so that in order to take each missile, the Russians would have to take out three or four silos.

Clever idea really, but the idea proved to be too expensive to be practical.
It's actually aminutemanbecause i typed minuteman in google images and I got this. I don't understand why they didn't just put the MX missiles on mobile vehicles like the Russians or Chinese. I miss the MX missile it was so cool,no we're stuck with the crappy minuteman!

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well it's not that crappy, the Minuteman 3 currently in service got an enhanced version of the guidance package designed for the MX. I believe it's actually more accurate than MX now.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Well it's not that crappy, the Minuteman 3 currently in service got an enhanced version of the guidance package designed for the MX. I believe it's actually more accurate than MX now.
yea but only has 3 MIRVs which SUCKS. I really miss the peacekeeper. Damn START treaties .

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I believe it's not just the guidance paclahes but the more powerful W-87 warhead of teh Peacekeeper as well.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
SS1-C would that do well. I don't know much about it, but i think it could hurt soomething.

new topics

top topics

join