It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it still not possible to predict mayor earthquakes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The first one recorded was the one in Lisbon in 1755. I am wondering why we are still not able to predict them? Isn't there some kind of patern? The only thing I read is that it is possible some mayor earthquake somewere will occur, but no one can say when or were...

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Because it is not a perfect science yet. Humans are physically unable to set up seismic monitors on every single fault line and crack, scientists have tried and there is an extensive monitoring system, however that only tells us when one happens and doesn't predict it. Also you have to keep in mind that the way the plates moves causes predictable and unpredictable changes, some quakes trigger other quakes, while some happen in swarms on a regular basis, there is also the possibility of human triggered quakes...(digging, mining, etc)

The reason people say a "major earthquake" might be coming is completely speculative based on various patterns that can be developed when monitoring seismic readings. Some people look at water temps, others develop their own patterns from previous quakes, some look to signs from animals, etc.

Really there is too many variables I believe that play a part in earthquakes which prevents accurate predictions.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Earthquake is earthbound lightning and as long as they keep thinking it's caused by sliding rock at depth they'll keep on chasing their tails.

The Inca knew it - just look at their constructions. Their walls are built to dissipate the lightning.

bc

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
There is a well recognised Vulcanoligist who for years tried to come up with indicators of major quakes. In the end he stumbled upon an interesting phenomenon that coincided with quakes, animals flee area's impacted on by quakes up to a few weeks before they happen. So the technique he used was to graph the number of missing animal notices in local papers. Yes its that simple.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Greetings,

Here is a thread I created awhile back:
Earthquake Clouds

I'd like to add another site to this also that I had read about:
Bam Earthquake Prediction & Space Technology

I got to this site on a daily basis and take a look at the images in the loops, both in color and black and white just to see if I can see any earthquake clouds:
International Satellite Imagery

There were a few times when I saw areas that looked rather suspicious...and a few days or a week later an earthquake happened there. I'm still not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

My only problem is that I don't have the time to just sit at the computer all day looking for them, plus I get confused by the weather clouds. But if you have the time, read the above articles and check out the satellite pics for yourself. I have other sites I visit also if anyone is interested.

I would like to mention from my observations, the clouds near the equator, because in the same areas, alot of large quakes have been hitting there.

This is just what I have seen. I'm no expert here.

God Bless

[edit on 2-6-2006 by DearWife]

top topics

join