It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you know what boils my blood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
You know what boils my blood? its social workers and health visitors, dont get me wrong iv met some nice ones but really... the majority are two faced

example, i had a meeting to attend at my kids school with the head mistress and health visitor but had to cancle cos my mother took ill, after the meeting was held i was told by the head mistress that my health visitor told her i had mentle issues and was depressed
etc etc, what bleeping right has anyone got to say such things about me? i am NOT depressed and i dont have mentle problems
all because i told my health visitor i was stressed out (i have 5 kids ranged between 2 and 9). grrrrrrr

and another thing is when they come into your home and tell you how to raise your kids especially when they dont have none of their own. i was recently told my kids were under weight by them grr flipping hell my kids eat more than me, and there is NO problem with their weight (iv had them weighed). they proceed to tell me i should get out more , try telling them your happy to be at home they look at you as if your mad
well excuse me if i like being at home with the kids.

ok calm now i think

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I know exactly what you're talking about. I had a nightmare of an experience with a social worker.

I think the problem is, these people see so many people that really do have mental issues and aren't treating their kids correctly that they think everyone that crosses their path is like that.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
yea bi get what your saying, but what i hate is they are 'picking' on families like mine that are doin ok and dont need help what about all the kids out there that do and arent getting it? there are several families in my area alone that are questionable and the kids DO need help, but they cant get it.
there have been many instances in the news about social workers, ie giving an abused child back to an aunt who they knew was questionable and had complaints about, but did they care? no the child later murderd by her aunts hands. thats just one example.
as i said b4 i have met some really nice ones, but there are some out there that are very arrogent and think they know you and your kids by one visit grr.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I know, there are many abused children out their and their caretakers are getting away with it because they are good at manipulating and lying to the social workers. Not to mention child protection is too busy going after cases that most likely aren't abuse. For example, seperated parents who are constantly calling child protection on their ex out of spite.

I knew a girl who was a child protection worker and she actually said "I like going to peoples homes and intimidating them, I like taking kids away from their homes."
People who are social workers for a power trip like that should be in a different profession in my opinion. Because a high percentage of the people that get investigated by child protection are in fact innocent.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well in September I am beginning to study in order to become a social worker for the government. Is it what I hope to do for my whole life? Im not sure, I was always interested in Education, but I know for now helping young children, or those in need is deffinately what I want to do with my life. I have been a coach and volounteer for many years now with local sports organizations and its what I love more than anything.

I am sure not all experiences with these people are pleasurable. Its like going to see a Doctor, you don't go to visit one when your feeling great or you don't have a social worker visiting when your the Brady Bunch.

I can only hope that when the day comes and it is me knocking on the door, I will treat all of those involved with the respect they deserve and not to take any assumptions to that door with me.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
very true. my husband went through a similer thing with his ex she tried getting him done with child abuse of their son (he never touched him) it turned out and evidence was given by people present that she was the one hitting there son and basically negleting him but do they do anything about it? no they say we are all lying and put my kids on a 6 month protection thing, i went to a lawyer about it and was lucky to get of the list.

because im young they assume that i cant look after my kids properly and that i must be negleting them and go out partying. where the reality is i dont drink, i dont go out, i have worked on and off but the husband does that now. i prefer to be at home and do the 'wife' and 'mother' thing. but noone seems to understand that i get looks as if im an alien lol

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
If any claim is made, false or not, I would hope the workers would investigate completely. Even if the individual is innocent, if a claim is made they should be investigated. If it is proven the person making the allegation was knowingly being dishonest, then they should be handeled with an iron fist.

If someone makes a claim, that does not get investigated, then the child turns up dead. Where would that leave the system?

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
i get what your saying that they HAVE to investigate claims made false or not.
BUT why do they give a child back to a person when they KNOW for a fact that this person has mistreated the child several times in the past, its actions like this that end up with dead children. and then they blatenly disregard children that are in abusive situations. my husband being on of them, when he was a child he was being abused by hi dad and social workers didnt lift a finger, he had bruising, broken bones etc etc, they just didnt care.

i understand that some of these people do great work and HAVE saved alot of children but because of staff shortages etc they are letting things go, i guess the social workers are damned if they do and damned if they dont

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I understand with what your saying.

It is in this career that reality becomes very harsh. Not every child will have the child hood of others. Some are going to live in a bad household, or under the poverty line. Most times one comes with the other, but not always. I for one would rather see a child live at the poverty line in a very loving home, rather than a wealthy family who neglect their children.

The fact of the matter is some children are not going to enjoy the luxuries of others.

Im not educated on exactly how the system runs, but maybe its a choice of putting a child into an orphanage or where he currently resides. Maybe the latter, as bad as it may be, is not as bad as the reality an orphanage would spell.

It has to be said I do not mean this for young children, but those who are not far from being out on their own. When it comes to young children, the state has to do everything they can to protect these.

But sometimes it seems that maybe it is a lack of choice.

Remember, try not to shoot the messenger.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
yea anno i have a hard time not shooting the messenger because of my feeling iv got for them. the one that has currently became involved with us is ok he was told from the start i dont like social workers and i said the experience iv had with them he was even pretty shocked. i told him if he is straight with me il be straight with him i dont like someone being nice to my face then backstabbing me to others when they are gone. but he is trying to help us get the house decorated etc so i guess hes ok.
its just everytime i see one i feel like i wanna punch there lights out lol

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
But you need to realize they are not doing this in their spare time. They have a job to do, and it is coming down from someone above them. If the individual themself is a pain in the backside, then I understand your frustration. But if the man or woman is only doing their job, that should be respected. Respect might be a tough thing to come by in that situation, but for the job they are doing, I believe they deserve it.

I normally shoot straight from the hip. If I have something to say or feel something, I am very confident in saying it to ones face. This normally gets me in trouble because I can easily create a stir, but atleast what I feel is being said to the person rather than behind their back. If I am capable of helping the family, I will gladly tell you. If there is not much I can do, very politely and optimistically I will tell you as well.

Sometimes its how you say something, rather than what you say.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Problems with social workers doesn't only happen with the child protection agency either. The intake social workers while applying for public assistance can be presumptuous and nasty, social workers at hospitals...etc.

It just seems like they see so many cases so they start treating everybody's personal experiences the same. Like they assume that just because you're applying for medical assistance then you must be lazy and not want to work. When my son was in the hospital when he was a baby because for some reason he wasn't able to digest any nourishment, I was on medical assistance and the resident social worker was interviewing me to see if the problem was something at home (which is fine, she was doing her job), I had explained to her that I had just quit my job to stay at home with my new baby, she had the nerve to say "Oh wow, you actually worked!?" as if I didn't seem like the type to work for a living.

I had another negative experience with a social worker when I was having problems with my mom, she was mentally abusive and she was successful in convincing the social worker that I was just a rebellious mis-behaving teenager (which I was not).

Like ronishia said, there are many great social workers who know what they are doing, love their job and do great. However I think for every good one there are two that get into the profession for the wrong reasons and do a horrid job.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
But you need to realize they are not doing this in their spare time. They have a job to do, and it is coming down from someone above them. If the individual themself is a pain in the backside, then I understand your frustration. But if the man or woman is only doing their job, that should be respected. Respect might be a tough thing to come by in that situation, but for the job they are doing, I believe they deserve it.

yes i know its there job its a problem its the arrogent ones i have a problem with, alot of social workers deserve an award for the jobs they do. But them few bad apples in the department are giving the rest of them a very bad name.

Originally posted by chisslerI normally shoot straight from the hip. If I have something to say or feel something, I am very confident in saying it to ones face. This normally gets me in trouble because I can easily create a stir, but atleast what I feel is being said to the person rather than behind their back. If I am capable of helping the family, I will gladly tell you. If there is not much I can do, very politely and optimistically I will tell you as well.

see thats what i like a good honest social worker, but here at least they are few and far between

Originally posted by chisslerSometimes its how you say something, rather than what you say.

yup agreed alot of them dont realsie they sound arogent (or maybe they do)

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
It just seems like they see so many cases so they start treating everybody's personal experiences the same. Like they assume that just because you're applying for medical assistance then you must be lazy and not want to work. When my son was in the hospital when he was a baby because for some reason he wasn't able to digest any nourishment, I was on medical assistance and the resident social worker was interviewing me to see if the problem was something at home (which is fine, she was doing her job), I had explained to her that I had just quit my job to stay at home with my new baby, she had the nerve to say "Oh wow, you actually worked!?" as if I didn't seem like the type to work for a living.

yes iv had this experience its sad when they get to the point of treating everyone the sam not everyone out there are abusing the welfare system.

top topics

join