It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Monopoly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
acording to Dan browns book Deception point Nasa is holding the world back from true space exploration,

He cites they undercut all other operators by putting payloads into space for less than the actual cost.His example is of a marconi comms satalite which cost $50mil to send up,Nasa will do you a bargin deal of $25mil .

Is this good?

I think that compation in sapce would create the big push forward we need.
We keep hearing that space torisium is just around the corner we have the technology but not the will yet,there are no large companies investing billions in space yet.
Is this Nasa's falt?

Ashwhy

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashwhy
acording to Dan browns book Deception point Nasa is holding the world back from true space exploration,

You mean his fictional novel?

I think that compation in sapce would create the big push forward we need.
We keep hearing that space torisium is just around the corner we have the technology but not the will yet,there are no large companies investing billions in space yet.
Is this Nasa's falt?

We have the technology, yes... But it's just so expensive. Not to memntion there isn't much of a demand for commercial space flight, and the companies wouldn't make much of a profit out of it.

If anything, the reason we don't have a method of cheap space flight is because: 1.) Our governments would rather focus on things to kill each other than help each other ; B.) We would reall benefit from a space elevator, but we don't have the technology for one of those yet; and III.) As I already stated, companies won't make much of a profit out of it, so the majority that could front something like this don't.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I just happened upon a story at Space.com before I saw your thread here at ATS.
NASA seems to be supporting companies interested in supplying services to the ISS and for satallite launches. Check out the link below because it includes a large list of private companies that are building space craft right now and doing some serious research and development that will take away any percieved monopoly that NASA now holds.

With NASA’s shuttle fleet to retire and a looming gap before a new spaceship debuts, the stage is set for private firms hoping to offer commercial cargo and crew services to the International Space Station (ISS).

Six contenders – from a field of more than 20 hopefuls – have weathered NASA’s round of culling for the Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) effort, with the first awards slated to be announced in August, according to some competitors. NASA plans to spend about $500 million on the COTS effort over the next five years, the agency has said.
www.space.com...

With countries like Russia and China already in space, and Japan, Brazil, India, etc.... reaching for the stars, space is going to get very crowded over the next couple decades.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yes, lots of countries are developing their own space programs, both manned and unmanned. And NASA has in no way had a monopoly on the business. Aside from there being several other space programs in the US (all military), there are all the ones that anxietydisorder listed.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the ESA in your list. Trying to make a statement there?

Also, this thread here could help shed some light on the topic: Why are we still using rockets?

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The ESA definetely deserves mention cmdrkeenkid. I see the ISS lab Columbus was delivered to Florida yesterday for transport to the station next year.

I think with the combined resources of the 17 countries involved in the ESA, they could be doing a lot more though. The ESA needs to be able to have their own manned access to space instead of sticking out their thumbs to other nations to hitch a ride off the ground. I can't remember the name for the cargo carrier they're building, but that looks like a system that could be converted for human transport.

Here's a link to the ESA Portal.
www.esa.int...

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
Yes, lots of countries are developing their own space programs, both manned and unmanned.

Space programmes need a lot of money and a lot of experience in the right places behind them. NASA, the Russians and the ESA have all been launching rockets for years now, and have quite a small failure rate. I think I remember seeing a graph produced by a company called Airclaims here in the UK, that plotted the success rate of rockets. In 1960 something like 50% of all launches failed. Nowadays it's more like 5% or less. I just looked for the graph on my computer, but I've deleted it. Sod.
The dangers of setting up a space programme with inexperienced people and/ or untested equipment is pretty damn serious. A good example is what happened in Brazil about three years ago. A rocket exploded on the pad, killing 21 people. Here's the link to the report on ABC: www.abc.net.au...
A report afterwards blamed 'poor funding and lax management' and the Brazilians have since turned to the Chinese for more expertise.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
thanks guys much appreciated

I just hope this is the lul before the storm,Iam 23 i remember being a kid and hearing old hippies from the 60s sayin 'yeah they said we'd all be in space' yeah i know its bloody hard and what?say 500 people tops had died getting us into space

put that into historical terms
how many peple died exproring uncharded seas
howmany died in motor car acidents push are understanding and technology in laymens hands
how many in air acidents?
if space could become cheap and possible for wealthy entrepaners along with companies filling the demand we would see the groth that should have happed years ago.

Im not holding my breath tho,till i see easy jet up there!

I just feel like we have missed the last 30 years,the usa pushed hard for a bit in the right direction .i feel likes its time for a major change in space soon,

I love the idea of the spce lift.Art c clarke is a mastermind i must read some of his stuff
I reccomend orf stabletons -1st and last men if u like ACK

theres so many ideas around at the mo,most debunked on here on ideas for space exploraion ,some fasinate me.

i think if its impossible to go lightspeed or faster,what other way can we travell interstella distances. i find the element 115 dark matter more space arourd u idea alot more feiseble,any hear about the new satalite to be lanched that may reveal possile other dimentions?

sorry ive gone off on a tanjent here

adios amigos

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I'm a kid from the 60's, and I've watch our evolution into space with interest for over 40 years.
I was sure we would have cities on the Moon by now, but I'm still waiting, and I'm beginning to wonder if we'll even have a permanent outpost there in my life time.

In the 60's we thought we'd all have flying cars by 2000, and Pan Am would take us to the Moon for vacations, but I'm still waiting, and Pan Am is gone...........

*member starts singing Frank Sinatra tunes*

Fly me to the moon
And let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars..............

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I'm a kid from the 60's, and I've watch our evolution into space with interest for over 40 years.
I was sure we would have cities on the Moon by now, but I'm still waiting, and I'm beginning to wonder if we'll even have a permanent outpost there in my life time.

In the 60's we thought we'd all have flying cars by 2000, and Pan Am would take us to the Moon for vacations, but I'm still waiting, and Pan Am is gone...........

*member starts singing Frank Sinatra tunes*

Anxietydisorder,
I sure hope you didn't invest in one of those Pan Am tickets to the Moon. If you did, well, you might still be able to get a few bucks for it on ebay! Or, if you're stilll interested, I heard that Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic is taking reservations!

I was 2 back when we landed on the Moon. Believe it or not, I remember watching the Apollo 11 landing live. It left quite an impression on me. Things sure seemed a lot shinier back then, a bit more exciting, a bit more optimistic; like the future was something to look forward to.

I miss that feeling.

What a beautiful world this will be, what a glorious time to be free

Get your ticket to that wheel in space while there's time, the fix is in
You'll be a witness to that game of chance in the sky, you know we've got to win

Here at home we'll play in the city, powered by the sun
Perfect weather for a streamlined world
There'll be spandex jackets, one for everyone

Donald Fagan - I.G.Y

[edit on 3-6-2006 by Xenophobe]

top topics

join