It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Song makes people suicide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I remember when I was around 11 or 12, I found a webpage about a song that when people listen to they always commit suicide. Because I was 11 or 12, I didn't download it because it seemed true. When I look back it seems pretty outrageous, but I can't remember the website or what the website said. It was an actual paranormal website I'm pretty sure.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

d1k

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Some country music station probably.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
Some country music station probably.

Nah, srz nventual, dunno what you're looking for. But I doubt just a song could convince someone to commit suicide.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Sorry, I thought this was a link to a Barry Manilow website,,,,,,,

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
O.K. - the Barry Manilow thing was a little tacky.
I REALLY meant any Leonard Cohen

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I think it may have been "Gloomy Sunday", however I just listened to the original and I actually thought it sounded like an alright song.

If I'm not back in 3 days it means the legend's true.

BTW: I knew someone was going to make a joke about a music genre or artist.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Gloomy Sunday

I didn't really check out the article but, there were a few references to "The Suicide Song" when I googled it just now

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
yeah Gloomy Sunday definately springs to mind, the legend goes that it was banned from radio stations because so many people commited suicide to it. O'm not sure how true it actually is though. And no its not a bad song!

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Well actually a study some years back found that alcohol drinking and suicides both increased with the listening of country music, so the joke above is no joke.

If I remember correctly the study first found that if they disabled the juke box in bars that sales would drop, when weepy country ballads were played people bought more booze.

I don't remember how they tied suicide and depression to the music but they did find a connection.

Next time you see one of those Emo kids ask them who their favorite country music artist is, hahaha!

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
There have been some songs that have influenced people to commit suicide, most notably Suicide Solution by Ozzy Osbourne, Fade to Black by Metallica and there was a Judas Priest song. But I've never heard of a song that caused them to.

Sort of reminds me of "The Ring" where you die seven days after you watch the video tape.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:31 AM
link   
when i was younger a song that was doing the rounds was 'suicide is painless' the theme song to m.a.s.h. i actually love this song but it got banned years ago cos of people actually commiting suicide becasue of it
Link to Lyrics

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
What tends to happen is weak and unbalanced people, who are already depressed or in a suicide state of mind will listen to or watch things that they can relate their pain to.

It's a shame when do-gooders blame a song, poem or the like - when really, all thats happening is the system is letting people down.

Banning a song won't stop suicides

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
i know you think it is funny, but the power music has on its followers is amazing.

i myself can get all different emotions by just listening to different types of music. music does have an influence, and the music industry knows it.

my own experience with music is this, i never listened to music till just before i turned 17. of course i heard music, but i was interested in other things. but then i heard nirvana's smells like teen spirit. man i was so hooked on nirvana's music. it would send me into a really depressed mode, wanting to be by myself all the time, the school work just fell away, because i could not be bothered anymore.
nirvanas music was always the biggest thing that happened in my life to change me, and i still say it was the cause of my life falling apart at 17.
the music in dustry know that the most important part of your life in terms of listening to music is between 13-18. it is when so much of your mind is being set, and music changes people moods more quickly than any other factor at that age. that quote came from a neuro surgeon, who studied music and the brain, he said we are all hard wired for music.

like i say my obsession was nirvana, and we all know how kurts life also meant others took there own lifes, this is something that proves the thread starters point, music and bands, can become so important, more so than any drugs, to a young person.

like what noel out of oasis says in one of his songs "don't put your life into the hands of a rock band".
oasis tried to bring a bit more cheer and life into music, after the grunge years.

the main depression band today are green day, and they are a band that could make people commit suicide, most of there songs seem to put people into a downer state, even though i like the band, i do not think it is healthy for any youngster, below 20 to listen to there music in an obsessive way.

of course there are pick me up music, you have things like hardcore at raves etc... that will make you really happy, but also too not to healthy to listen to all the time.

so the thread user is right, music does have a big influence on people, and can even be a big factor in them commiting suicide. like what i said above, if i had my time again, i would not listen to music like nirvana in an obsessive way like i did during my alevels, it just #ed me up in a big way.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
One of my biggerst fears is being trapped in an elevator eith Micheal Bolton music being piped in,after 10 min I would be considering it

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Country song "Red Roses for Momma" would do it .

omg.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Nick Cave (and the Bad Seeds) comes to mind as well. I can't single out a specific song, seeing that they're all pretty depressing.

www.nickcaveandthebadseeds.com...
www.nick-cave.com...

Cave is jokingly reported to be a member of the Sons of Lee Marvin — a "semi-secret society" founded by director Jim Jarmusch.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I get suicidal when I hear some James Blunt crap, homicidal when I hear Robbie Williams.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I believe it was Metallica's "FADE TO BLACK"

Life it seems, will fade away
Drifting further every day
Getting lost within myself
Nothing matters no one else
I have lost the will to live
Simply nothing more to give
There is nothing more for me
Need the end to set me free

Things are not what they used to be
Missing one inside of me
Deathly lost, this can't be real
Cannot stand this hell I feel
Emptiness is filing me
To the point of agony
Growing darkness taking dawn
I was me, but now He's gone

No one but me can save myself, but it's too late
Now I can't think, think why I should even try
Yesterday seems as though it never existed
Death Greets me warm, now I will just say good-bye

There were A BUNCH of reported suicides related to that song.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Radiohead-Creep...its definately a blow to your self-esteem if you feel at all the way he did when he wrote that song. I suppose thats the main reason its such a great song.

Same for Fade to Black...another classic

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Nick Cave (and the Bad Seeds) comes to mind as well. I can't single out a specific song, seeing that they're all pretty depressing.

You're right. I just went and dug out the Greatest Hits album I had and I'd have to say that this song made me more depressed than the Gloomy Sunday one.
www.songmeanings.net...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join