It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flashes In The North Carolina Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Flashes In The Sky Could Be Meteor Shower

POSTED: 11:20 p.m. EDT October 20, 2003

Charlotte-- -- People from all over North Carolina reported seeing bright flashes of light in the sky Monday evening.

The National Weather Service and the Morehead Planetarium confirm there was a meteor show over the state, but cannot confirm that's what people saw.

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Creepy]

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:22 PM
link   
dang...there was a shower here and I missed it..

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
i just watched the local news and they broadcast the 911 calls from a few of the people who saw it....they describe massive blue streaks across the sky with bright flashes turning night into day...they said it didnt look like any shower they had ever seen before...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Debris from Haley's comet my ass. More like from Planet x.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   
SInce it was fairly warm today where I live...in Virginia, and travel to N. Carolina to attend school....my first guess would have been 'heat lightning'.....

Wished I could have seem it.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:41 PM
link   
hiya been?
sidenote...
have people been witnessing the orange star in the sky that is "supposedly" mars?...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:41 PM
link   
in the calls i heard on the news the people were in a state of panic and were obviously afraid of what they saw....i dont believe that a normal shower would cause that kind of reaction...but im far from an expert in astronomy...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigsage
hiya been?
sidenote...
have people been witnessing the orange star in the sky that is "supposedly" mars?...

Been good but seriously busy with school, studies, research papers, and work......

Other than that, I'm doing ok...how about yourself?
I hope everything is going well for you.

As to Mars in the sky and its appearance:
Mars is looking a mix of red and orange to me, especially where I live. (Just went out and looked)
Mars is beautiful and looking very "big".

Been clear sky's here of late for me, and with no big city lights to take away from the darkness, the night sky is 'kickin'....hehehe

Note: After the hurricane, Mars was seriously bright and magnificant, easily discernable through a regular telescope.

regards
seekerof

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   
or are there any other theories surrounding this "star"...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The meteors had to have been pretty big for people to be reporting "massive" streaks. Usually meteor showers are just small little lines that streak accross theh sky for a split second before you can say "Look! Did you see that??". The fact that it "turned night into day" is also facinating. I've seen the Leonoids shower last year and I know what it looks like. I've never seen one that was really big though. Usually showers don't look like your in a warzone.

The witnesses should said something about the speed of the streaks. Usually theh speed can tell alot of about it's distance and dimensions. If it was really slow, then maybe it was some sort of test missile launch or something like that. I saw a missile launch a few months ago, and at first I thought it was some sort of UFO. It was a small pinpoint of light that had this massive tail that left this really beautiful trail behind it.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   
was it doughnot like disks or a regular type trail that most airplanes make...

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Just found this on my Wal-Mart connect homepage...

member.compuserve.com...

One of the eyewitnesses was Durham Police Lt. Morris Taylor who told the Durham Herald-Sun newspaper that UFO was different from any shooting star he has ever seen. Describing it as "humongous," he added, "It was pretty wild looking. It looked comparable to the size of the moon in the sky."

join