It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Cave Stuck in Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Pretty amazing find in my opinion. Reminds us to look twice before we start considering things "explored".

news.yahoo.com...

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli scientists said on Wednesday they had discovered a prehistoric ecosystem dating back millions of years.

The discovery was made in a cave near the central Israeli city of Ramle during rock drilling at a quarry. Scientists were called in and soon found eight previously unknown species of crustaceans and invertebrates similar to scorpions.

"Until now eight species of animals were found in the cave, all of them unknown to science," said Dr Hanan Dimantman, a biologist at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

He said the cave's ecosystem probably dates back around five million years when the Mediterranean Sea covered parts of
Israel.

The cave was completely sealed off from the world, including from water and nutrients seeping through rock crevices above. Scientists who discovered the cave believe it has been intact for millions of years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Please correct me if I did anything wrong. First post ever. Enjoy the news folks.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS Mikeo316.

I'm sorry but there is already a discussion on this topic.

5 million year old ecosystem found in Isreal

Please use that thread for comments.

Thanks.

new topics

join