It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Warship Built out of Twin Towers Wreckage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Five years after the towers fell they are now being resurected into a new class of warship capable of landing 700 troops on shore at one time with out the need of a port. The USS New York is currently being constructed in a shipyard in new orleans and will be completed in 2007. Its first mission being fittingly to search for Osama Bin Laden.

The ship looks impressive and gives people goosebumps by just touching it. Its a fitting tribute to those who have lost thier lives in 9/11.

Link To story

IN A city still emerging from the floods of Hurricane Katrina, a ship has begun to rise from the ashes of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Bringing together America’s two great calamities of the 21st century, the USS New York is being built in New Orleans with 24 tonnes of steel taken from the collapsed World Trade Centre.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by North Rider]

mod edit:
Quote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

[edit on 1-6-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
i don't think so, i think 9/11 is now history should now be left in the past!!

9/11 has already put america and allies at war twice (possibly 3 with iran), cost many lifes.

so why does the american government feel the need to build a piece of equipment out of the wreckage designed to kill even MORE people?? - shouldn't we just remember the people who lost their lifes in 9/11 a different way instead of looking for REVENGE all the time?

[edit on 1-6-2006 by st3ve_o]

Ox

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
With all due respect to those who lost their lives on 9/11... This ship's first mission is to find Osama Bin Laden? What has the military been doing over there? Playing Scrabble??

And.. Isnt Afghanistan in the middle of the desert? That's going to be an awesome site to see this boat take to the sand..

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This post has been done a few times, too lazy to look it up right know. I think I did one myself at one point...

There is even a Discovery Special about it.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
With all due respect to those who lost their lives on 9/11... This ship's first mission is to find Osama Bin Laden? What has the military been doing over there? Playing Scrabble??

And.. Isnt Afghanistan in the middle of the desert? That's going to be an awesome site to see this boat take to the sand..

Ooo I guess you forgot how the Marines got to Afghanistan in the first place just prior to the invasion of Afghanistan. Its understandable you don't know or don't remember. People seems to forget how far reaching ships are capable with much of the earth covered in water.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Wow, this has been covered many a time I know that's for sure, and the History Channel did a special on it too.

I think it's cool what they did and it put alot of pride in the people who built it. Also, if you have several tons of still useful STEEL, why throw it away just for a memory? Why forget about it? That's playing into the hands of the enemy, yeah that's right, forget about the WTC towers, forget about what happened. NO. Something has to be done, and what better way to commemorate them, then to build a ship out from the ashes? Bring the fight to the enemy with the very souls that were lost. So that they are never forgotten and their legacy lives on.

Once again, we don't just throw good steel away, we reuse it.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
what better way to commemorate them, then to build a ship out from the ashes? Bring the fight to the enemy with the very souls that were lost. So that they are never forgotten and their legacy lives on.

what enemy?
a entity that was funded and created by the same goverment they elected in.
a entity which has no country, a entity which has no boarders

what a way comemorate their lives then create something that will most likely be reponsible for taking thousends of innacent lives later on,

bravo to the designer

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
bodrul, out of curiousity, if it's something we have to fight, something we have to defeat, would it not be an enemy?

If it is an entity, then it in itself qualifies for the rank of "enemy".

Anything we need to stop is our enemy, be it a nation, organization, or whatever you'd like to call it, it is still an enemy. And if they have no "boarders" as you so put it, does that mean we should automatically give up the fight?

And just how would an amphibious dock be responsible for the loss of thousands of innocent people? Last time I checked an amphibious dock is used for transport, what's it transporting is probably what'll do th efighting so to blame that on the vessel is unfair.

DOD) A ship designed to transport and land troops, equipment, and supplies by means of embarked landing craft, amphibious vehicles, and helicopters. Designated as LPD.

What an Amphibious Dock Is

And bravo to the designer indeed, it is a beautiful and advanced ship, a mighty vessel she is. A little fact, there have been atleast 5 other ships commissioned as the "'New York" from 1776 to present.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 1-6-2006 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
what happens if that ship gets attacked, and it sinks? that metal is cursed, but It would be nice if this ship plays a significant role in a future battle. It will leave some sort of legacy.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by acura_el2000
what happens if that ship gets attacked, and it sinks? that metal is cursed, but It would be nice if this ship plays a significant role in a future battle. It will leave some sort of legacy.

The ship itself probably won't play a significant combat role directly, but it might be famous for an off-shore rescue of many people stranded or something along those lines. Actual combat, well as I've said, it's a landing craft basically, I think it would come with anti-air and that's about it, the cargo it's carrying is the real weapon.

But that's not to say the ship might not play a vital role in the OUTCOME of a battle, but directly in battle, I would say probably not.

Only cursed if you believe in such things.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
should have made my reply more clear, it would be responsible sinvce it still is vessale built for war and as you put it, it would be the link in carrying weapons and so forth, thus it would be responsible, ps i know what a Amphibious Dock Is

ok then your enemy

i dont want to go off topic but will just once,
your enemy seems to move around alot,

And if they have no "boarders" as you so put it, does that mean we should automatically give up the fight?

well the US could stop breading more terrorists , that would help alot.
this war on terror has caused needless death which just adds fuel to the fire.
the US had plenty of chances to stop this from happening for decades.

i wont say anything else so i dont get in trouble would be happy to have this convo over the PM thingy so we dont get in trouble for going off topic

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The "search for Osama" bit is so corny it makes me cringe. For how long the politicos and the media will treat us as imbecils?

Well, it's a good question why 5 years and hald a trillion dollars later we can't find the SOB (sorry, the OBL). However, I don't think OBL would be sailing the Pacific on a yacht, kayak or a raft any time soon.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I would think a ship of Twin Towers metal would certainly be an ill omen to the generally superstitous seamen. especially if you believe the twin towers were brought down by a bomb. Plus, the plane hitting the towers invokes images of kamikazies during world war 2.

Afghanistan aint in the middle of the desert. its up in the mountains, and is landlocked, without any coastline or seaports. I would indeed like to see how the hell we are supposed to look for Bin laden in a boat, seeing how this is a landing craft.

What I find curious is they said this boat will be used in 2007 to look for Bin Laden. H mmmmmmmmm. So I take it that he will not be found in 2006, which still has 7 months left? Are we gonna call off the search, if one even exists, until 2007?

Or do they plan to "catch" bin Laden in 2007.

Oh, what a story even Hollywood couldn't top! Bin laden finally caught by marines who used a ship made from world trade center wreckage.........

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I find it funny that everyone here is fighting from the word go.
1. The metal was reused, for better or for worse, I won't judge, but at least it was.
2. Was it twisted into a "show of power"? To the eyes of many, yes, but in this day and age, what did we all expect?
Sorry I don't have a set opinion, just my 2 cents, for whatever that's worth

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'm completely on the fence as far as this ship goes. The metal from the Trade center is immaterial to the subject. The lives lost are what matters. I would rather see however many tons of steel used for, I dunno, a raw steel orphanage or a memorial at the former WTC grounds (though I'm sure there will be some spare steel used for such a purpose).

I just want to point out that the ship is not being built with WTC steel. The Bow section, the red rounded tip at the front, was molded from said steel. That's all.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The world would like us to forget 9/11 for several reasons...

1. they hate us, and were cheering or think it was something we deserved....

2. we are currently rolling over the desert and into several nations as retailiation for the incident.

I would like to counter the argument "we are creating terrorists" because if 9/11 has caused us to invade two countries, that demonstrates to these people that the US will retailiate 100 fold for any further attacks.

The Russians demonstrated this by removing several of the terrorists testicles and mailing them to their families and then executing them.

paybacks are a .....well you know how the rest goes,

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Osama still makes threats to us, however what I want to know is, are his followers REALLY that willing to go and commit suicide for the man? We've already killed many of his generals and captures many advisors, we invaded two countries, possibly getting involved into a third right now.

I think we've shown we're willing to cross the extra mile they aren't. We don't negotiate with terrorists, we string them by their intestines and hang them by their balls in Times Square for public display.

Who's the most hated group of people on the planet? I'll give you a hint, it's not the U.S.

Give up? It's the Westboro Baptist Church, but Al Queda is almost up there.

Shattered OUT...

[edit on 1-6-2006 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Recycling is environmentally Friendly.
Building a Warship out of materials gleaned from and Act of war, is purposefully symbolic.
Using symbology to assist in the capture of one who thrives on symbology is genious.

So it's an Environmentally Friendly Symbolically Genious effort, which I applaud.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishmen3g
I find it funny that everyone here is fighting from the word go.
1. The metal was reused, for better or for worse, I won't judge, but at least it was.
2. Was it twisted into a "show of power"? To the eyes of many, yes, but in this day and age, what did we all expect?
Sorry I don't have a set opinion, just my 2 cents, for whatever that's worth

Oh thank god!
I agree with your first matter. It's reused, why the hell is everyone whining and complaining about how some metal was used?

What would everyone suggest we do with it? Rebuild a building with the same material so it can just fall over and crash all over again?
Right.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
First and foremost, this much bickering over the ship’s incorporation of WTC steel is uncalled for. Using WTC steel was a symbolic gesture in the sense that the WTC was helping build this vessel which would contribute to the US military in its own way and help defend the nation. One more thing, 9/11 should never be forgotten and quite appropriately the ship’s motto is “Never Forget”.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join