It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let the funding wars begin...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Michael Chertoff must be fired

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff told New York to drop dead yesterday as he slashed the city's federal anti-terror funding in a traitorous action that endangers the lives of 8 million people and demands his immediate firing.
Chertoff's decision to cut the flow of U.S. money by 40% was at the least gross incompetence and at the worst vengeful payback by a petty bureaucrat who tangled last year with the NYPD and wound up humiliated. Either way, President Bush must give Chertoff the boot with a hearty, "Heck of a job, Mikey."

This city, America's No. 1 target, had to fight long and hard for federal terror aid while Congress doled out the money as pork rather than based on threat. That was supposed to change this year because Chertoff was given the power to allocate much of the funding based on where it was needed most. Instead, fresh from monumentally bungling the U.S. response to Hurricane Katrina, he went out of his way to whack New York's slice of the national pie from $208 million to $124 million. The No. 2 target, Washington, also took a huge hit from Chertoff's team.

More...

And...

Seattle funding to fight terror slashed

The federal government is cutting Seattle's share of anti-terrorism funding 22 percent this year -- providing only a fraction of what city officials said the region needed.

Seattle will receive $9.15 million in federal grants this fiscal year, the Department of Homeland Security announced Wednesday.

The city received $11.8 million last year and had requested $61.4 million for this year's efforts in the Seattle/Bellevue region.

Meanwhile, Washington state was awarded $32.2 million under a separate program Wednesday -- down 23 percent from last year's $41.9 million. The state had requested $43 million, officials said.

More...

Need I say anything about either of these articles?

I'll see what I can dig up on other states when I have some more time later today...

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   
more:

Clinton, GOP Congressman to Chertoff: 'Wish you were here'

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) and Congressman Peter T. King (R-NY), Chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, are responding to a Department of Homeland Security claim that New York City has no "national landmarks and icons" by sending DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff postcards of famous New York sights, RAW STORY has learned.

More...

Am I the only one who thinks our entire reality has gone wacky beyond belief????

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
For some reason I cannot get the first link you provided to work. But I think the problem might be on my end...

When I first heard the story of funding cuts, I thought, well, conservatives are finally acting conservatively instead of spending like drunken sailors as they have been for the past few years.

But, no national landmarks? How ridiculous is that? What about important sites such as the NYSE?

Would it be worse to lose Mt. Rushmore (a national landmark) or the Holland Tunnel, Penn Station, etc, which may not strictly be "national landmarks"?

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Agreed. And it appears the money DID go to states like Nebraska and Wyoming... Now how does that makes sense????

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Maybe they have landmarks? I don't see al Qaeda queuing up to get into Laramie or Lincoln, tho.

This morning, talk radio was ridiculing the decision. They, too, found it incredulous.

top topics

join