It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysteries of Wow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This a pretty interesting article on the famous "Wow" signal SETI picked up in '77.

In August 1977, a sky survey conducted with Ohio State University's "Big Ear" radio telescope found what has become known as the 'Wow' signal. Registering an enormous signal strength, the shape of the signal had the characteristic rise and fall expected for its short 72 second lifetime. But a hitch remains: the signal has not been retrieved from other sky surveys, making it more anomaly than confirmable cosmic source.

Full Story

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Mystery indeed
I have read about that, very interesting. Something seems a little fishy bettin on it being hush hush.

who

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I have heard about this as well. Pretty interesting that they found a signal that strong. I agree with the article that if the rotation of the planet is too long and we arent listening at the right time, or for long enough periods, then we wont hear it again. It may have been luck that we found it in the first plave, our dish just happened to pass by their signal at the right moment. I am glad to see they arent just ignoring it and that they are researching it. Wish there was someway to hear the signal or download the file of it.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
There is alot of space out there. In that space are alot of things. Alot of thosse things we do not understand. It doesnt mean that it is an alien signal. It could have been some sort of radio signature of a distant star expiring millions and millions of years ago that just happened to hit a reciever here on earth. It could have been some sort of rare occurance that we cant yet explain. It could be a glitch in the software or the listening device. It could have been aliens. It could have been faked. Who knows.

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I agree with cartman up there^^^(seapeople)

Anyways, there is a lot of space out there, with billions upon billions of unknown things, probably. It could be anything really, though, it was kept on the downlow, which makes it suspicious.

2 cents.

-wD

top topics

join