It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a human right to be superhuman?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Coming in from the fringe
Transhumanism is being taken seriously by an increasing number of scholars. The fact that Stanford’s respected legal bioethics program hosted the 150 or so attendees from Europe, Asia, New Zealand and North America to discuss issues raised by human enhancement is testimony to how far transhumanism has come in from the fringe.

Even the government has taken a position — against — in the second report out of President Bush’s bioethics council. Titled “Beyond Therapy: Biotechnology and the Pursuit of Happiness,” the 2003 report suggested the need for regulations to prevent the use of biotech to give people powers they did not have naturally.

SOURCE:Superhumans - Not just in Comics...

A very interesting read (finally) on MSNBC...

Transhumanist conference - the discussion is mainly centering on human-enhancements. They cite certain drug trials already being conducted with pilots in the military, to enable them to fly long distances witout danger of tiring.

They also hint toward certain "add-on's" and it's interesting to note that once again, movies and comic books that once seemed to contain only fantasy may one day end up being factual!

I think humankind has been undergoing a radical and expedient evolution, modern technology and medical advancements are pushing us farther along than ever thought possible...

Implants like Wolverine one day? Not for me...LOL.

mod edit to use "ex" tags instead of "quote" tags
Quote Reference.
Posting work written by others. **All Members Read**

[edit on 2-6-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I just remembered that I heard somewhere that the only reson we sleep is a lack of a certain chemical and that when the chemical can be put into a tablet form, humans won't need to sleep ever again. Maybe this is what they want to give pilots rather than amphetamines? It sounds crazy but I swear I definately heard it from a rspectable source. Does anyone else know about this?

[edit on 1-6-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   

modafinal, for example, was approved for the treatment of narcolepsy. But it is often used by people who just want to stay awake and alert without the side effects of amphetamines. The military is already enhancing pilots with it so they can fly long missions.

BioGenesis Labs

From "World of MS" -

Modafinal
Modafinal is a wake-promoting agent used in the treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness. Recent studies using modafinal for MS fatigue have shown positive benefits in about two-thirds of subjects after about two weeks of therapy. Its use is recommended for those with moderate to severe fatigue or mild fatigue that has not responded to amantadine. Modafinal is relatively safe and well tolerated. Its side effects include headache, nausea and weakness at higher doses.

Google for: MODAFINAL

Remove stupid gogle link wouldn't show properly

[edit on 6/1/2006 by justgeneric]

[edit on 6/1/2006 by justgeneric]

mod edit to use "ex" tags instead of "quote" tags
Quote Reference.
Posting work written by others. **All Members Read**

[edit on 2-6-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
"Implants like Wolverine one day? Not for me...LOL."

He does not have implants he had his bones coated Adamentium during the Weapon X program silly.

I also read a story about a brain interface machine that Honda and ATR created in Japan I think we will have robocop technology within 25 years. That being said technology is a part of humanities evolution we will eventually become one with it. I think human body replacement and other forms of cybernetics will play a huge role in our developement as a species in years to come.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I Robot huh? I read that honda article too... brain powered robots, robots capable of learning....creepy stuff!

Now as far as them growing new appendages from stem cells... that I think is also viable option. I see problems with it though as ethical debates rage on... I'd hate to see the progress end up underground due to flack over it. Next thing you know, it won't be just kidneys and livers ending up on the medical black market LOL...

Wonder what stem cells go for these days?

Prosthetic appendages are a good technology to watch, however I really think that the stem cell research is the faster approach.

Coated bones... my bad Doc... I stand corrected!

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeros
I just remembered that I heard somewhere that the only reson we sleep is a lack of a certain chemical and that when the chemical can be put into a tablet form, humans won't need to sleep ever again. Maybe this is what they want to give pilots rather than amphetamines? It sounds crazy but I swear I definately heard it from a rspectable source. Does anyone else know about this?

[edit on 1-6-2006 by Xeros]
You also need to sleep to help regenaration of certain organs and stuff too. I think I read that some where not sure though.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
If I could get enhanced I would do it. But only if the tech is really cool. Like replacing my whole body with nano-tech....so I don't rot/die.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 11:34 PM
link   
i wish i had Adamentium in my bones, all i got stuck with was carbon an trace amount of plutonium that make my skin purplish in color

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think we have a right, nay a duty to not only improve ourselves,
but the entire species as a whole.

I'm not surprised Bush does'nt like it, and want's it illegal.
I swear, if he could, he'd make science illegal.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I read an article related to this years ago and I do not look forward to seeing a day when humans commonly get artificial implants to upgrade themselves to compete in the modern day world. I have no desire to live in a world where we have become the Borg.
Now if someone figures out how to do upgrades without artificial implants (such as implanting memories and knowledge) that would be useful.

posted on Aug, 23 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Super-human abilities?
You know it.
Who wouldn't want the ability to head butt through twelve inches of solid steel?
Though, I have super-human abilities already. This is just a picture of me walking around my neighbourhood.
img181.imageshack.us...

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 04:40 AM
link   
do we have a right? well seeing as how we do things like torture, and thievery, alongside things like humanitarian aid and advances in medicine. Seeing as how we stick implants in ourselves to make our breasts look bigger or lips more puffy, and inject synthol oil for the appearance of bigger muscles and so on and so on. I think its safe to say, that what we have a right to do or not to do, has long since been not a factor in what we humans do. We have replaced this with a doctrine of we can do this so we will if we want....so seeing as how thats a more honest approach as it relates to human ethical issues ill say sure why not. Cuz you gotta remember, if theres a way to use new tech or science to kill things, we will do it. And after the militaries used it, it will trickle down into the consumer market to make our lives better or worse or whatever. This is how our world works.

new topics

top topics

join