It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Off-Roaders around?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I don't mean the ones who accidentally end up off the road !
But the ones who go there intentionally.

My situation is that It's a business need.
I'll be required to visit some of the most god-awful, and out of the way places, the Nevada desert has to offer.

It's related to mining. And visiting the tiny little towns that are affected by it.
There is a lot of irresponsible mining going on, mostly, it's about the large gold mines not cleaning up after themselves.

Back to the Vehicle.
It doesn't need to be a huge vehicle...I would prefer midsize, and am looking into the
Toyota FJ Cruiser. A new vehicle, but based on a tried and true set of frame, and drivetrain components.

It must be able to clear decent sized obstructions, such as logs, boulders, etc..
It should carry at least 5 people, and a lot of camping gear. There are no hotels where we go!

Let's hear it from some veteran off roaders!

And....as always, thank you in advance

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Yo mate!

once again you impress me...if the Nevada Yachting club wasnt enough!!

weve got a Jeep Wrangler which we take off road all the time and my missus has just got a landrover discovery which is an awesome vehicle.

I used to do a lot of moto x and then got into enduro bikes, portugal's algarve is wicked for going offroad, no one cares where you go as long as you respect peoples property.

Ive also got the use of the new yamaha 650 quad (total beast, my pal bought it off the family of a guy that got killed on it after loosing control at 70+ mph)

theres nothing better than getting the back end out at speed with dust ripping up behind you!

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Good,

I was hoping you'd venture across this thread.
You wouldn't believe how the Lake has filled up with water, there were jet skiers on it the other day. We were going to board and pillage those craft, but none of us can swim!
Although I bet it made a good shot for the tourism brochures.

Have you looked at those FJ Cruisers? I test drove one this past Sunday.
Nice, good handling on the paved roads, and the speed bumps at 50 MPH..LOL
The salesman told me to do it!..He takes all his propects down this road. The locals
but be pissed!

I haven't checked out the Landrover, might be worth a look!

5 minutes later:

huh?
They don't sell it in the US anymore?
I can only find up to 2004

[edit on 1-6-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Hmm. anyone else?

I'd sure like to know others experiences with Off-Road vehicles.
Please?

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Can't type this fast enough...Jeep. My 1988 Jeep Cherokee has many desert miles on it, along with beach and mountain driving. 4x4 can't be beat, and always reliable when I've had to use it. I will replace my Jeep with another whenever I decide to get a new one. Hmmm, five people, adults? Go with biggest Jeep, for room for adults. Have put two adults and two children, also camping gear in back and top in my model.

Oh, thought I'ld add, don't go over too high logs and boulders unless you want to wench it. And don't be fooled by how high up a vehicle looks--you can only go over as high as differential.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by desert]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I spent about six months off roading it with my missus and kids about 2 yrs ago. We traveled up the centre of Australia, across to the far nth east coast all the way down then back across west to adelaide. We took a 2002 landrover discovery turbo diesel and towed a pop top offroad jayco camper. All in all about 17000 kms. We are now saving for our next trip when we'll head west then follow the coast up north then across to darwin and back down through the centre. I cant get enough..

Cheers
M4S

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
desert, thanks

Gonna take a look at the Cherokee this weekend.
My Dad had one for quite a few years. He really loved it, but it never really got a lot of punishment.

and Mojo, it appears they don't sell the Discovery in the US anymore..Figures, they must have Discovered that we liked it..Sounds like an awesome trip you all took around the country. I'd love to do that.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

and Mojo, it appears they don't sell the Discovery in the US anymore..Figures, they must have Discovered that we liked it..Sounds like an awesome trip you all took around the country. I'd love to do that.

You have to be kidding, i tried out a heap of 4wd's including the jeep and none came close to the Disco's towing power or ability to handle all sorts of terrain. We traveled through desert, dry river beds, rocky outcrops, rainforest, beach and it never failed me once. Mind you the cherokee is imo the best lookin 4wd, the disco looks ungainly (but i still luv the girl). The best thing about the whole trip was it really brought us closer together as a family, spending that much time together in close proximity, the kids still talk about.

Cheers
M4S

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 05:37 AM
link   
What a dream off road trip, and what a memorable trip for kids! You probably could have towed Ayers Rock with that Discovery turbo diesel.
Getting off topic, but, I thought about buying in a small town with a big gold mine, but I wondered if arsenic in the water table might be a problem. And those slag heaps are huge--at first I thought I was driving by a tall hill! Didn't in the old days, stamp mill workers suffer somewhat from mercury poisining?

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
desert, thats right
Mercury poisoning.

Other chemicals too, but mercury is now a by-product . Now with the price of gold up.
Even the crappy sites, can make money. The Mercury is used in "roasters"
Which emit some Mercury in to the atmosphere.

Kinda bummed about the Discovery. Sounds like it would really fit the bill.
We're still talking about the new Toyota, the FJ-Cruiser. We've got some time.
So we'll be looking for a while.

[edit on 4-6-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Dont know if the toyota landcruiser's are the same for you guy's but they ran a pretty close second for us when we were looking around. The new nissan patrol also had plenty of grunt. Im sure the jeep's you get are a helluva lot different to what is sold here under that badge, nothing more than around town and light off road stuff from what ive seen here.

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I had the Grand sport cherokee limited edition 4.2 didesel turbo, black with blacked out windows and 19" alloys on it with black leather interior, it was absolutley freaking awesome.

Me and my best pal took it out for a day and punished it, it was absolutley fantastica s an off roader (that actually really suprised me!!) I would definatley recommend it to any one.

I agree the discovery is an ugly old girl but it really kicks it offroad, only thing i dont like is the body roll.

My only gripe with the cherokee was that parts were super expensive here in portugal, about one month after the warranty ran out the drivers contol pannel for the electric windows started playing up it was 588€ from the dealer and a new oil preassure sensor camer up at 270€!!!!

The jeep truley was a comfortable, smart and practical vehicle.

new topics

top topics

join