It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

vegetarians vs flesh eaters.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
whats your thoughts on this y'all?

Do you dig on swine, or lunch on lettuce? do vegetarians make you shake your head or does the sight of a peice of flesh hanging out of someones mouth make you choke. Do you think it's proper evolution to become vegetarian, or do you think our flesh eating is ingrained in us from caveman days. This topic, much like politics or religion is one of those i've seen get heated very very quickly around the old table, and so - good members of bts - what's your opinion?

Is killing animals justified all in the name of "it tastes good, yummy"?

discuss.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I am a meat eater and I don't really care if someone chooses to be a vegetarian or not. What bothers me about some vegetarians are the ones that go around trying to force others to be vegetarians as well. Astrologer Linda Goodman in her book "Star Signs" even goes as far as saying carnivorous animals such as lions weren't meat eathers until humans made them, which of course I think is a load of bull. There were carnivorous doinosaurs and we obviously weren't around to force them into being carnivors.
Author Doreen Virtue says that you can never be completly spiritually aware if you eat the flesh of an animal, however there were a lot of very spiritual ancient tribes that were meat eaters, so I think that is bull as well.

I do think eating meat is natural. I do have some issues with how meat is harvested now days. I mean if you take a look at the Native American tribes that were meat eaters, it was custom for them to thank the animal they killed and would use every part of the animal so that it would not go to waste. Now days a lot of meat and dairy mass productions have caused a lot of animals to be treated inhumanly. So I can understand why some people become vegetarians because of that.

However, I feel that plants have feelings too. They grow and nurture just like every thing else. Are we hurting plants when we eat them?

It's a personal choice. If you chose to be a vegetarian then that's great, but remember people have been eating meat since the dawn of time and you can't just run around telling people that they are evil for being a meat eater.

That's just my opinion on the matter.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I love a vegetarian sub or pita stuffed with lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and lots of roast beef.
Fresh salads are great if you add some smoked ham, and I always put some lettuce and a pickle on my hamburgers.

I think humans are trully omnivorous and require a well ballanced diet that includes meat.

I've worked around farms and slaughtered animals, so I'm not one of those city folks that thinks meat all comes in a nice plastic wrapper from the local grocery store. There is a very ugly side to being a meat eater that most people never see, and if someone chooses a specific diet based on that, who am I to criticize.
I just find that some vegetarians try to shove their choices down other peoples throats.

Slice me off a chunk.

I notice that all the animals that humans normally eat are vegetarians, so just think of meat as processed plant material.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
interesting comments so far!

so what would you say to someone who said that animals are different because they have emotions, family dynamics, and feel a great amount of pain. someone who said that pigs are more intelligent then dogs, or lobsters mate for life. how do you react to footage of a cow crying tears while its being slaughtered alive? How do you explain the difference in having some animals as well loved family members and some cut open dripping blood on the bbq? Is it justified simply because it tastes good, or is there another reason? I'm not saying my opinion, just interested in peoples reasoning either way.

peace.

[edit on 31-5-2006 by tasteslikethunder]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm a reluctant meat-eater. It bothers me that people kill animals for food, but I eat them too. It kind of makes me sick when I think about the creatures I eat, and I hope to go full-vegetarian some day. If only there were more vegetarian restaurants around my area.

That said, I don't think of meat-eating in terms of right and wrong. Heck, if some aliens came to earth with a taste for human, I wouldn't think of them as evil... though I wouldn't be friends with them either.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I never feel sorry for the humans that get mauled to death while hiking in the woods, or the zookeeper that gets stomped on by an elephant.
And no tiger belongs on a stage in Las Vegas, so Roy Horn got what he deserved.

I know that's a cold thing to say, but we eat animals, it's only fair that they get to eat some of us.

Park rangers shot five lions in South Africa's Kruger National Park after a series of attacks on illegal immigrants from Mozambique, 11 of whom died in the nine months up to August.

Human remains were found in the stomachs of the lions, which were shot when a Mozambican was killed and eaten on 11 August at a waterhole.

The man was reported to be one of a group of 14 illegal immigrants who had been repatriated the day before. Five decided to return to South Africa that night, when they were attacked. The surviving four, who took refuge in a tree, were again sent back to Mozambique. Over 2,000 illegal immigrants have been repatriated this year.

Immigrants cross the park on foot and the Kruger unit of the National Defence Force arrested 13,479 between January 1993 and January 1997. It is believed that many more have been killed by lions than those recorded.
www.bigcats.org...

The only sad part of that story is that they went out and killed the lions.

I would never go to a circus or rodeo, and when I saw a clip on TV of a bullfighter getting gored up the butt by the bull, I cheered for the bull.

Sure I eat meat, but I draw the line when humans are cruel to animals...........

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
My ancestors worked long and hard to secure my place near the very top of the food chain on this planet. Humans are omnivores. That is the way we are built. This is what we have evolved into. My jaw and front teeth are made for tearing flesh.

Without fail, people who tell me they are vegitarians (my ex-wife included) seem to be the unhealthiest people I see around. My ex-wife was a vibrant, energetic woman, until she gave up eating meat. After that she was always sick, prone to alergies, weak, tired, less sexual, and just plain not as alive. Apparently, it's difficult to consume enough protein to stay healthy without eating at least some meat once and a while.

As for spirital aspects of this question, everything that is alive, at least as far as we know, maintains that life by feeding off of energy from outside itself. In nature, this usually involves killing something else and taking it's energy. How can it be wrong for us if nature seems to favor this method of energy transfer for most complex creatures? We're part of nature. It's as natural for us as it is for the Lion, we're just much better and more efficent at it.

On the practical side, I don't care who you are, if you get hungry enough I bet you will eat any dead animal I put in front of you. If we all suddenly stopped eating cows and pigs, we would have to kill them all anyway ya know. Otherwise they would use food resources, produce pollution, and quickly get in the way on a scale that you wouldn't believe.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
We are all food for something, it would seem. Even humans are eaten by animals or, in a more subtle way, as parasitic hosts. Whether we eat animals or plants, we do so to survive and I, personally, see no reason to stop eating either.

I can understand why some people object to eating animals. They say that animals -- especially, it would seem, the "cute" ones -- feel pain and emotions. But, in this same vein, there would appear to be a number of experiments that have shown that plants can also feel pain or "emotional distress". This has been shown by polygraph expert Cleve Baxter.

Cleve Baxter's work with plants have repeatedly shown, at the very least, an indication that plants have an "awareness". With this in mind, vegetarians are just as culpable as carnivores by eating sentient entities.

I am a not a strict vegetarian or carnivore. I eat both plants and animals and I do so for the simplest of reasons -- I want to live and in order to continue living, I eat vegetables and meat.

My only objection to eating meat is that the conditions that many animals are raised under are probably not what I, personally, would consider humane. I believe that many animals are raised under "stressful" conditinions that do not, necessarily, produce healthy, beneficial and "tasty" meat. Where possible, I try to purchase poultry that is free-range or those that have been raised by Amish or Mennonites. Cattle, pigs and sheep that have been raised without "additives" is difficult but, where possible, this would be my preference. This helps to limit the use of antibiotics and hormones typically administered to food animals. But, in the same context, I am also remiss about eating traditionally farmed vegetables and produce. Trying to limit my intake of produce that have been sprayed with insecticides and fertilizers, I also seek out organically grown fruit and vegetables in the belief that these varieties are more healthful.

I respect vegetarians for their personal beliefs but I cannot help but feel that they are misguided in their efforts. I feel that the vegetarian, through some aspect of moral superiority, believe that carnivores are "wrong". But I simply look at both plants and animals as food. And I want to obtain the best, most nutritious food possible for myself and my family.

(incidentally, Adolph Hitler was a vegetarian:clwndnc

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well personally I am vegan I do in a way look down at people sometimes when they eat animals/products around me and tend to tell him it is horrible.It isn't that people HAVE to eat meat they just like how it tastes.You can get basically the same things vegan style and it just happens to be better for you and alot kinder to the animals
I also think people would be alot better off going vegetarian or vegan they would be healither thats for sure
The only thing else about killing animals is people kill because of over population.Like those seals a couple months back and they do it in the most brutal ways when there is no need for it. I won't sit here and preach about it though.Also, these topics do tend to get heated the meat eaters don't like it when others try to make them feel guilty for eatting an animal that was tortured and then kills and processed to eat and vegetarians don't like when people don't listen to there side and try to give vegetarianism or veganism a chance..

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I was a vegetarian for about six years after going through chemo. I couldn't digest meats. I was sick a lot and always tired. After slowly reintroducing meat into my diet, I regained my energy and was not sick as often. I have health problems now, but it is from a different source.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'm an omnivore. I usually eat what's called a paleo diet. Meat, root vegetables, other veggies, fruits, berries and nuts. I love it! I love me some meat.

The way I see it is human beings are animals. Our ancestors ate other animals, we have teeth for eating both flesh and vegetation. If they had the chance, other animals would and do sometimes eat us. It's a dog eat dog world.

I have been on a vegetarian diet for a generous period of time and I didn't do well on it. Neither my husband nor I were healthy on it. Even though we made sure to get enough protein. We are healthier eating meat. So I have given it a chance. For over 2 years.

And I hate it when people look down on me for the choices I make. I don't care what they eat. It's none of their business what I eat. I don't necessarily respect vegetarians for eating what they do. Why should I? It's their choice. I simply don't care. But being a vegetarian is no better or more morally righteous than eating meat. I'm sure some of them think differently, but then again, I don't care.

I am also an animal lover. Always have been. I adore animals. How do I reconcile it? I manage.

We buy 1/4 of a clean cow and store it in our freezer for the year. That's some tasty cow! All this mad cow disease scare though... They say the germ or whatever it is, resides in the brain and spine of the cow. And that's too bad... because I love me a good spine...

[edit on 31-5-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I'm an omnivore. I don't eat much green stuff but I eat meat and fruit.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Perdita,
I feel SO guilty now...J/K

I'm an omnivore. But definitely not against trying vegetarian style meals.
8 or 9 times a month we do veggies only.
I have a hard time holding up my head on those days
It's just too tiring.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I've been struggling to become vegetarian, the reason for me to want to be vegetarian is for ethical reasons. Personally I do not believe animals should be subjected from day 1 to torture. It's just not fair, people should hunt their food like in the old days, instead of eating animals that are diseased, living in their feces and injected with growth hormones and who the hell knows what. But hey, that's just how I see it, if you want to eat that nastiness go for it.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
COOL! some great points from either side.

So what do you say to someone like this guy: www.brendanbrazier.com...
who is not a vegetarian, but a vegan no less, that is a succesfull triathlete and attributes going vegan to helping him also cut out cafeine and have more energy (well i mean triathlete, come on) Do you think that some people that go vegetarian are just eliminating the meat and not replacing it with anything. thats certainly something i've noticed in some cases. someone will go vegetarian and then just eat potatoes and pasta. Maybe vegetarianism forces you to become more creative, and involved in what your cooking and intaking, and is not simply something you can do or comment on uneducated.

hmmm.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I love meat. Love it. I'm eating some meat right now. Sausagified pig with a hint of cow.

I eat meat for the same reason cannibals do. I digest the flesh of animals in order to absorb their strengths, their soul-force.

I treasure the slow, thoughtful ruminations of cow. The inexorable "root-hog or die" attitude of pig. The swift reflexes of pheasant, dove, and quail. The plucky cocksureness of chicken. The timeless, searching sensitivity of lobster and calamari.

Yum.

Sometimes, when no one's looking. I eat it raw. I stuff handfuls of it down my throat at parties, devouring whole "cheese-sausage ball" trays of ours d'ouvres while others are distracted.

Sometimes, I'll wake up in a strange location, my arms still wrapped around a styrofoam slab or some cling-wrap. I wander home in the pre-dawn glow of empty streets, hiding my terrible secret from the eyes of men.

Please! Stop me, before I grill again!

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I' Personally I do not believe animals should be subjected from day 1 to torture. It's just not fair, people should hunt their food like in the old days, instead of eating animals that are diseased, living in their feces and injected with growth hormones and who the hell knows what.

I completly see your point. However a lot of vegetarians and PETA activists see hunting as inhumane and worse than just eating meat. I think hunting and farming your own meat would be the most humane way to harvest meat. Some people hunt only for sport and that's kinda sad, but I remember my step-father would hunt and we would eat the meat, he would donate the parts of the animal he couldn't use to the local nature center.

I don't hunt at all. I have never fired a gun in my life. I can't afford my own farm or I would love to raise my own animals and make sure they have a fulfilling life before they are harvested.

[edit on 31-5-2006 by snowflake_obsidian]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

I love meat. Love it. I'm eating some meat right now. Sausagified pig with a hint of cow.

I eat meat for the same reason cannibals do. I digest the flesh of animals in order to absorb their strengths, their soul-force.

I treasure the slow, thoughtful ruminations of cow. The inexorable "root-hog or die" attitude of pig. The swift reflexes of pheasant, dove, and quail. The plucky cocksureness of chicken. The timeless, searching sensitivity of lobster and calamari.

Yum.

Sometimes, when no one's looking. I eat it raw. I stuff handfuls of it down my throat at parties, devouring whole "cheese-sausage ball" trays of ours d'ouvres while others are distracted.

Sometimes, I'll wake up in a strange location, my arms still wrapped around a styrofoam slab or some cling-wrap. I wander home in the pre-dawn glow of empty streets, hiding my terrible secret from the eyes of men.

Please! Stop me, before I grill again!

Well I'm hiding all of the ground beef in my house from now on. Because of you Dr_StrangeCraft.

I know a girl that is not a vegetarian but she doesn't like meat so she only eats the white meat when she has to.We are sortof dating as of now. her, my cousin and a few of my friends were at my house one night. She was tired and said she was hungry. I was amazed because it was around 4 in the morning and it seemed as though she couldnt even hold her head up. She walked to the refrigerator in the next room and pulled out a cold meatball and ate it. Apparently she was too tired to realize she was doing this so after she staggered back into the room with the half eaten cold meatball in her hand we quickly alerted her as to what she was eating and she freaking out and spitting the food out all over. She threw the meatball across the room. I haven't forgiven her since this happened a month or so ago because its a perfect waste of meat. I highly disaprove of meatwasters.

[edit on 103131p://2123 by SurfOBBC]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Must
Consume
FLESH

but no bodily organs for me please.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tasteslikethunder
So what do you say to someone like this guy: www.brendanbrazier.com...

I say good for him if it's what he wants to do.

Do you think that some people that go vegetarian are just eliminating the meat and not replacing it with anything.

I'm sure that happens, but it's not what happened in my case. We ate tempeh, tofu, beans, cheese, eggs and nuts for protein. Had some at every meal.

Maybe vegetarianism forces you to become more creative, and involved in what your cooking and intaking, and is not simply something you can do or comment on uneducated.

It certainly does make you become more creative. I did the whole so many grams of protein per day thing. I made sure we were getting enough. Still, no go.

Everyone should choose their own diet. I rarely eat starchy carbs (potatoes, rice, bread, pasta) because I feel like absolute crap when I do.
Everyone is different. Their bodies respond differently to different foods. Everyone should eat what makes them feel good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join