It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inappropriate Thread Tags

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Ok,

I have known this since day one, but I have been hesitant to make a thread about it. Until now.

Thread tags are simply not being used in the way that was intended, not entirely anyways. They are being used to attack threads with personal opinions and agendas and have been since the very first day they went live.

The policing on it is non existent to say the least. I don’t say that as an attack on the mods, but to state how utterly impossible it is to police it and it shows. I have seen tags that are outright insults and blatant attacks on the authors. I have been a victim of such attacks.

This whole system needs to be reconsidered as I dont believe its adding any value to ATS in its current form. Its just a billboard of mass agenda right now.

Here are just two examples of tag misuse:

Thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Tag: defeated, a typical defeatism, american loss, us gone, noam chomsky, yanks defeated, americas defeat,

Thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Tag: criminal galloway, murderer, the queen, iraq, england, uk, assassination, justified murder, galloway hero, immoral authority, lord haw-haw,

Look at those tags! What value do any actually add? Maybe one or two, but the rest are editorial remarks and attacks. I could post hundreds like this, don’t believe me, look for yourself.

I dont pretend to know what the solution is, but this issue really needs to be addressed.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I wasn't happy with some and was told to use the 'suggestion' button
and report the bad tags. The perps of bad tags get a hefty point fine.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I've noticed this too... some of them are just rude
- and many of them plain pointless!

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by crookedblue
and many of them plain pointless!

yupp...

i guess that's a small negative outcome when you award points for tagging

there is away to remove these bad tags though, great idea BTW...

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I have seen tags that are outright insults and blatant attacks on the authors. I have been a victim of such attacks.
I dont pretend to know what the solution is, but this issue really needs to be addressed.

Hey Skippy, do what i do mate. If you think they are out of line with whats being discussed, then send the link via the suggestion button, and make your point.

I have seen plenty, and have used this function. The offending tag has been deleted within minutes. Honest. I think this is the only way to go if you see an offending tag.

The mods would rather you send them a message, than let the offensive tag remain.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie

Originally posted by skippytjc
I have seen tags that are outright insults and blatant attacks on the authors. I have been a victim of such attacks.

Hey Skippy, do what i do mate. If you think they are out of line with whats being discussed, then send the link via the suggestion button, and make your point.

I have seen plenty, and have used this function. The offending tag has been deleted within minutes. Honest. I think this is the only way to go if you see an offending tag.

The mods would rather you send them a message, than let the offensive tag remain.

Bingo Eddie. The Suggestions button is you friend. We, as staff, can't possibly be on EVERYTHING. We try but if you see anything, not just tags, hit the button and the entire staff can see it. ATS' rep. is important to ALL of us and we ALL can do our utmost to ensure it. Believe me, we APPRECIATE the helping hand.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I wasn't happy with some and was told to use the 'suggestion' button
and report the bad tags. The perps of bad tags get a hefty point fine.

That's exactly right - report a tag if you don't like it and it will be removed

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Perhaps ATS could accept the dedicated efforts of members who could tag appropriately. Call them "Tag Teams" if you want. These would be members who would offer their services to make meaningful tags.

I have been trying to make a useful tag for every thread that I read. Often, I find that I could make additional tags but I'm stymied by the fact that I am limited to making only one or two tags. The points are not an issue to me. I'd rather see ATS tagged in an appropriate manner so that searching for desired content becomes easier and more precise.

Perhaps the powers that be at ATS could see fit to allow some members to tag threads without the present limits. I know that I would certainly volunteer my efforts to this end. I am certain that I am not alone in this aim.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Often, I find that I could make additional tags but I'm stymied by the fact that I am limited to making only one or two tags.

Perhaps the powers that be at ATS could see fit to allow some members to tag threads without the present limits.

I sometimes open the same thread in two or more tabs with the Firefox browser and then add the appropriate tags. Then I go through and hit "add tag" on each open page.
By doing this I can put as many tags as nessesary, and I've never been warned for doing it this way.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Often, I find that I could make additional tags but I'm stymied by the fact that I am limited to making only one or two tags.

Perhaps the powers that be at ATS could see fit to allow some members to tag threads without the present limits.

I sometimes open the same thread in two or more tabs with the Firefox browser and then add the appropriate tags. Then I go through and hit "add tag" on each open page.
By doing this I can put as many tags as nessesary, and I've never been warned for doing it this way.

This is an interesting tip anxietydisorder. However, it's a sad state that someone who is dedicated enough to tag appropriately should have to go to these lengths. The way I see is the more tags, the more appropriate tags, that are developed will only serve to better the searchability of ATS. Also, it would help to lead more people to ATS when they are searching for topics on Google and, perhaps, other search engines as well. Tagging is an important aspect of making any site like ATS more usable, searchable and, ultimately, enriching for the reader/researcher.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Right at the top of the list of members that have tagged is a mystery tagger.

It appears that the tagger has no user name, but has been on the list since tagging started.
Any idea who this is ?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT: It doesn't look like it's Simon, Skeptic or Springer because their names appear further down the list.............

Just curious...

[edit on 2/6/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I would hazard a guess that it's just ATS Admin' tagging a thread.

sanc

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I just wish some peope would have more pride in what ATS tries to do to make this the best damn site there is, instead of undermining such efforts.

Must some people make a joke out of everything, or show a prejudiced bias against or for everything?

Everyone loves humor, and to blow of steam now and again and there are places and threads to do it (BTS anyone? Come on over!)

But yeah on the original tagging thread I posted my annoyance with similair problems I was seeing. In general, tagging just not being taken seriously, and those who were using slang and trying to be funny in their tags instead of acurrate and useful.

Though I didn't name the author, I cited a tag and the author came onthe thread and and went ballistic in defense like it was a personal attack on him, or that tagging was generally stupid-which it really wasn't!!

I used his funny slang tag as an example of what I was seeing alot of trying to make a point, not to him, but everyone, that it defeats the purpose of having an accuare system for cross referencing topics if we don't just acurrately tag for specific content.

Still, some people just abuse it to be funny, for points, or to be rude and I don't really think it can be policed because it seems so prevalant.

So, I say, tag to the best of your ability, ignore ignorant tags, they do no good, but really they can't do much harm (unless really offensive)and all and all if one decent tag in done per thread we do have a system for cross referencing topics, right? If nore than one, more chances for it to be useful.

As for the ignorant, silly, stupid, offenseive ones, I really don't know how all of that can be policed...or so I was told...but let me address those taggers and say grow up. It's the equivalanet of graffitti on a school wall to write silly things in tags and it degrades what ATS prides itself as-being superior and having a unique community here.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Couldn't say it better myself T2M! Policing does take place to some degree, but if you look at the amount of tags, it's a nearly impossible task. IMO.

-

Posted Via ATSmobile (BETA v0.3)

-

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Since we're all throwing our two cents in...I have to say that unless it's just outright against the rules of conduct or if for good reason it's obvious it's more a personal attack on the poster I would say leave it alone and again there's the volume of policing involved.

I for one actually find the thread tags to be quite insightful into how other board members view a certain subject or thread. IT's also a fairly harmless way to vent frustration over certain topics.

Considering the anti-establishment nature of the board members policing thread tags would probably just promote more innapropriate tagging.

For example skippy I am now compelled to leave a completely inappropriate tag in the inappropriate tag thread.

Can you guess which one is mine?

Spiderj

edit: Mods you can deduct the points from my account...I just couldn't help myself.

[edit on 6/2/2006 by Spiderj]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I was caught between tagging this thread "hinga dinga dürgen" or "jou know what a chazzer is frank?", but finally decided the first was more appropriate and relevant.

top topics

join