It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Micrometeorite Collection Experiment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I'll be running this through my ATS-blog, mainly, though I thought I would mention it here in order to let all those who may not be frequent blog-readers know about it.

Micrometeorite Collection Experiment

The basis of this is to establish a collection of micrometeorites, of all varieties, for research purposes. If this works, which I was told it will (by the same professor), within about a year's time there should be a wide collection including all three types of meteorites.

What I propose to do is, starting this Friday (May 2, 2006), putting out at least two collection dishes, and possibly a third. The set two would be about 20 miles apart, located in Southeastern Michigan. The third, if possible, would be about halfway between these two locations.

I would like to include others from around the globe in this collection process, to get a more diversified collection.

More information can be found in the link to my blog. I'll be updating it with my results (And those from others, if I get them) after every collection period - which will be Fridays, on a weekly basis.

If I get a wide area of collection it may be possible to see if there is some sort of correlation between what kinds of micrometeorites fall where.

This is all an indepentantly run experiment by me, and it will not be used for any financial gain. If I ever have a research article published from this work, those who helped with the collection process will be credited.

[edit on 5/31/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm in!

I'll make sure to follow your procedures, and will document this photographically, and send them to you, in case someone else needs to visualize the setup..
Sounds interesting

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'm working on a revised version of this that will be much better, straight forward, and more scientific all around. Expect a plan late tomorrow.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
ouch, something......hit me, in the head..

Ok, thats cool. let me know what the plan is.

I had no idea that Micrometeors could make it all the way down to the surface, and still have enough energy to pierce aluminum foil..

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Neither did I, honestly. I would have sworn my prof was pulling my leg until until I saw he had done it for one of his classes. When he put the foil on the overhead there were a bunch of holes in it.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I remember a class doing this in my school as well. Which is West Michigan area, Reeths Puffer district to be exact.

What exactly would be a good collection dish, perhaps a large baking pan or something? I'm in also, just let me know more when you can.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
nickle-iron based micrometeorites can be collected by dragging a magnet down the gutter of your neighborhood street.

Harte

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Harte, that probably true, but what what the rate that they collected there?
And how many washed in from other places?

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
How about the rain gutter on ones roof, a street gitter could pick up rust froma vehicle or natural earth minerals with base metals.

I think up in the air, above ground level is the target area of this study.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
I think up in the air, above ground level is the target area of this study.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to be doing. What Harte said is true, about picking them from gutters. Also, becahes are a good place to do the same thing.

I just got home from work, and I'll get cracking on the revised version soon enough (after changing, eating, and showering).

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
DUDE!

are you still in the shower?

Wating for your refurbished plan.
I want to make sure we're consistent on this..

Space

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I would like to be in on this as well. I think this would be very interesting when we get the results. I'll just have to move it in if storm debris starts flying around!

Great idea, Keen. I'd like to see where this goes.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I actually got wrapped up in some family stuff, and that ended up taking precident over pretty much everything else at the time. I'm working on the final judgings of the contest now and after that I'll finally wrap up the revised plan for this...

new topics

top topics

join