It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Bloggers Technical Questions Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Got a question about how to make a feature in your blog work? Running into problems with your blog? Not sure how to do something?

Me too!

This thread is for ATS bloggers to ask away and get help from other ATSers.

Based on what gets asked (and hopefully answered), we may be able to compose a FAQ for ATS bloggers that covers all those burning questions.

So ask away, and please be patient, because this is a learning experience for everyone.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
how long does it take to get a blog 'round here?

i had to churn out a wookie cast to pay for it lol

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Allow 6-8 Weeks For Delivery*

Originally posted by Lysergic
how long does it take to get a blog 'round here?

There are quite a few requests piled up since things just launched, so it might take as much as a day or so, depending on how peppy the "blogerators" (aka "blog czars") are in responding to the purchase requests.

In practice, and after the initial rush of new blogs, it shouldn't take too long at all -- maybe a few hours or so.

Each blog is carefully crafted by hand to exacting specifications, and we're still learning the ropes ourselves, so please be patient.

When the blog is ready, you'll get a U2U with all sorts of information to get you started.

And then, the world will never be the same again.

* Just kidding.

[edit on 5/31/2006 by Majic]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Ah thanks majic!

I'm sure this help thread will eventually be most helpful to dorks like myself!

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I love you for this thread Majic!

Ok.. question number 1.

Where the heck do I change my text color for my comment pages in the css?
Its the one thing I have not found yet. O.o

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari
Ok.. question number 1.

Where the heck do I change my text color for my comment pages in the css?
Its the one thing I have not found yet. O.o

Ok, well...I know this is not a novice issue, but I'll answer how I changed my comment pages (or rather I assume you mean the Category, Date, and Individual pages). I created a second Stylesheet (template) called styles-sub.css and then changed the three templates to access that page instead of styles-site.css. Then I was able to control specific functions of those pages separately using just css.

In this case there are multiple places in the sheet that could be applying control. One is at the very top.

body
[
margin: 0;
/* setting border: 0 hoses ie5 win window inner well border */
padding: 0;
font-family: verdana, 'trebuchet ms', sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;
color: #ffffff;
]

Another is further down.

.entry-content,
.comment-content,
.trackback-content
[
background: ;
font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
text-align:left;
color: #ffffff;
/* font-size: small; */
margin: 0px;
]

There could be another one, but in this case...the second overrides the first one so try changing that to begin with and then test it.

That's it in a bit of a nutshell. If you have a problem...post and we can see where you're at.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
For beginners to CSS, I posted some tips on how to change the page background colors or use an image AND how to change the "header" section of your blog page.

blog.abovetopsecret.com...

It's also does a small overview on the basic templates that control your site.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Can we still suggest some handy plugins? Or has suggestions past?

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Mr. Zedd,

I would like to thank you for the blog, btw! As I mentioned on my starting blog page, I am very excited about it because this is my very first!
So, I'm new to the blogging game.

Hence, my question:

How do you make a template of your own from an external program (like Microsoft Officer, Photoshop, etc.)?

Again, you have my thanks. I will patiently await your answer.

Have a good day!

--Ceci

P.S. In all my excitement, I forgot to thank Majic for setting up this thread. I appreciate your efforts because being new to blogging, I need all the help I can get!

[edit on 31-5-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
They Call Him The Blogmaster

Just for the record, Zedd rules.

If we don't overwhelm him, I think we'll all learn a lot from him about ATS blogging!

As for suggestions, to the best of my knowledge, they are always welcome.

It may take time to implement some things, and I counsel patience as always, but I am confident that as the Summer of Blog progresses and we all get more comfortable with this new dimension of ATS, we're going to see some awesome transformations.

Stay tuned, and keep those questions coming.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Can we still suggest some handy plugins? Or has suggestions past?

Suggest away.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
How do you make a template of your own from an external program (like Microsoft Officer, Photoshop, etc.)?

Good question.

Well, first you have to realize that the way things work, it would be hard to have a template that you could see everything the way you want it "visually" in an external program. That's because there is a structure to the links, etc in the blog that you would not have on your home system.

I understand you can have a template that you edit externally and the link it in. It's all talked about here: using an external editor

That is one setup I didn't bother with personally because you would still have to upload it somehow/somewhere. It didn't seem it would provide a "visual" layout with that method, so I decided not to bother. I just copied all of the templates I wanted to change and then pasted them into the external editors I use. It's not a "visual" setup like I think you might want, but it works for coding.

If you're trying to get more visual with the whole thing, I suggest just tackling one thing at a time. For example, the header and the page colors, then the fonts, then the images, then the modules, etc, etc.

It doesn't have to be that order, but it will all come together in the end. I know it's not the exact answer you're looking for but perhaps it will help.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I have a dumb question. How do you put up images on the blog?

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006

Let me jump on Zedd's heels here.

The template systems used by Movable Type and Expression Engine (what we're using for the Amigo Blog) are based heavily on CSS and layers. Generally, from a standards point of view, this is a very good thing... but this does not mean you MUST stick with a heavily CSS/Layers dependent template system.

As long as you retain our header and footer tags, you can do whatever you like in between. You can use plain-old tables, and just place the MT tags for the appropriate elements where you like.

Just keep copies of your original template code handy, then start playing around with making the changes. As you make the alterations, keep copies of progressive changes (as HTML documents) that work out well for you. This way, you can quickly revert back to your original, or a recent version if you get into trouble.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I'll suggest a few plugins that'd be nice in a little bit.

But for now, Im not seeing a setting to change the timezone of a post. They seem to be posted by GMT time, 5 hours off, instead of EST. I read in the docs that this has to be set when creating the blog. Can it be edited by the Czars, or ourselves anywhere that im missing? It can be edited via the publish time, but that'd be cumbersome everytime.

[edit on 5-31-2006 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Let me jump on Zedd's heels here.

The template systems used by Movable Type and Expression Engine (what we're using for the Amigo Blog) are based heavily on CSS and layers. Generally, from a standards point of view, this is a very good thing... but this does not mean you MUST stick with a heavily CSS/Layers dependent template system.

As long as you retain our header and footer tags, you can do whatever you like in between. You can use plain-old tables, and just place the MT tags for the appropriate elements where you like.

And jumping back...

If you decide to go this route (html tables, etc) then you COULD use frontpage, dreamweaver, etc, etc to make a total visual layout.

I would suggest you read this if this is your plan:
www.sixapart.com...

The great thing about this blog is you really ARE given an open book to write it how you want. There are so many options that everyone can do something, from novice to expert.

It really depends on your comfort level with coding, the blog templates, etc. I try and keep things simple, just because I don't know everyone's experience with coding.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Can it be edited by the Czars, or ourselves anywhere that im missing? It can be edited via the publish time, but that'd be cumbersome everytime.

From what I have observed only the Czars can edit the time zone for you and any other option under the settings button.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I'm trying to change some font sixes and/or colors.

My Stylesheet CSS looks like this.

/* This is the StyleCatcher theme addition. Do not remove this block. */
@import url(blog.abovetopsecret.com...);
@import url(blog.abovetopsecret.com...);
/* end StyleCatcher imports */

I don't see a way to edit my fonts this way.
What I tried was to copy and paste the folio theme css into the Stylesheet CSS.
The thing is, when I do this my entire right panel gets shoved under my blog content.

Thanks.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
What I tried was to copy and paste the folio theme css into the Stylesheet CSS.
The thing is, when I do this my entire right panel gets shoved under my blog content.

How about reverting to the older style sheet and then post what fonts you want to change. I can show you where and then how to add custom ones too.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
will you be allowing audio? (its one of my special areas so i would greatly enjoy that if it were aloud.)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join