It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vimana Entry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I am very hesitant to edit the Vimana page because this has been an incredibly sore spot with certain members (for reasons I -think- I understand, but won't go into, sense they even get angry with me over my opinion on that).

Anyway, no body seems to be watching the talk page on the Vimana article so I'm bringing it up here.
The entry contains some information that appears to be false, probably from Childress, but which has close parallels in the actual Mahabharata.

We should consider at least giving both quotes for contrast.

The article currently attributes the following quote to the Drona Parva of the Vedic Epic Mahabharata:

Gurkha, flying a swift and powerful vimana hurled a single projectile charged with the power of the Universe. An incandescent column of smoke and flame, as bright as ten thousand suns, rose with all its splendor.

It was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death, which reduced to ashes the entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas.

The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. Hair and nails fell out; Pottery broke without apparent cause, and the birds turned white.

...After a few hours all foodstuffs were infected... ...to escape from this fire the soldiers threw themselves in streams to wash themselves and their equipment."

Dense arrows of flame, like a great shower, issued forth upon creation, encompassing the enemy... A thick gloom swiftly settled upon the Pandava hosts. All points of the compass were lost in darkness. Fierce wind began to blow upward, showering dust and gravel.

Birds croaked madly... the very elements seemed disturbed. The earth shook, scorched by the terrible violent heat of this weapon. Elephants burst into flame and ran to and fro in a frenzy... over a vast area, other animals crumpled to the ground and died. From all points of the compass the arrows of flame rained continuously and fiercely. "

One of ATS most members who is most interested in this subject has discussed this passage with me before, and was unable to verify that quote, however found the following similar passage in the Mausala Parva:

"When the next day came, Samva actually brought forth an iron bolt through which all the individuals in the race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas became consumed into ashes. Indeed, for the destruction of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas, Samva brought forth, through that curse, a fierce iron bolt that looked like a gigantic messenger of death. The fact was duly reported to the king. In great distress of mind, the king (Ugrasena) caused that iron bolt to be reduced into fine powder. Vaishampayana said: "While the Vrishnis and the Andhakas were thus endeavouring (to avoid the impending calamity), the embodied form of Time (death) every day wandered about their houses. He looked like a man of terrible and fierce aspect. Of bald head, he was black and of tawny complexion. Sometimes be was seen by the Vrishnis as he peered into their houses. The mighty bowmen among the Vrishnis shot hundreds and thousands of shafts at him, but none of these succeeded in piercing him, for he was none else than the Destroyer of all creatures. Day by day strong winds blew, and many were the evil omens that arose, awful and foreboding the destruction of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas. The streets swarmed with rats and mice. Earthen pots showed cracks or broke from no apparent cause. At night, the rats and mice ate away the hair and nails of slumbering men. Sarikas chirped, sitting within the houses of the Vrishnis. The noise made by those birds ceased not for even a short while by day or by night. The Sarashas were heard to imitate the hooting of the owl, and goats imitated the cries, O Bharata, of jackals. Many birds appeared, impelled by Death, that were pale of complexion but that had legs red of hue.

Links:
Sacred-Texts.com
Discussion on ATS

Again, I'm not out to start a debate, much less an edit war, so I just want to offer the idea that we should post both of these quotes side by side in the article and let the viewers make up their own minds. Tin Wiki should be neutral.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Here's a really good website on the topic of Vimanas (might be the one you got this from):
www.world-mysteries.com...

This topic holds endless hours of intriguing research (for me, at least). Also check out the special features of the Stargate: Ultimate Edition dvd.

new topics

join