It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Families of Australian terror suspects get up to $1 million per year in benefits and legal aid.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I think the Australian welfare system needs an overhall if the Australian Government is giving money to the families of people who planned to commit terror attacks.

Their families even receive an increase in benefits because the men were locked up.

Herald Sun

AUSTRALIA'S 22 terror suspects and their families receive more than $1 million a year in taxpayer-funded welfare and legal aid.

And simply because the men were locked up, their families received a social security pay rise of as much as $1700 a year.

One of the jailed Melbourne men, Abdul Nacer Benbrika -- leader of a radical group of Islamists -- has been in Australia for 10 years and has never had a job.

Taxpayers provide his wife with almost $50,000 a year in welfare.

A Sunday Herald Sun investigation uncovered generous payments to the families of men charged with plotting terror in Australia.

Adding tens of thousands of dollars in parenting payments, rent assistance and family tax benefits to the cost of legal services for the accused makes a total bill to taxpayers of more than $1 million.

[...]

Is it really that easy to get welfare in Australia that you can live there for ten years without ever having a job and just sit back in a government funded apartment or house?

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Smoking Gun

They're sponsoring terrorism, send them to Guantanamo

and PRONTO

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
Smoking Gun

They're sponsoring terrorism, send them to Guantanamo

and PRONTO

Perhaps feeding the easily lead, ill educated, moronic fools will make them join you.

I know if I hated america and australia both equaly and wanted to bomb one of them... THEN one decides to support my family, who would that leave you wanting to bomb?

perhaps more thought out than you think.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Isn't the UK doing the same kind of thing?

Immigrants get an allowance to set up home here. They then get an allowance until they find work.

You only have to look at the London bombers to see that they had dual nationalities. I wonder how many of those who were from Leeds claimed benefits?

I'm not knocking your thread, but i think this type of thing happens in other countries too.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
I'm not knocking your thread, but i think this type of thing happens in other countries too.

I could be wrong, but I think Ace's point was they got more money once they were defined as terrorists. It is hardly kosher to give them raises as I see it.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   
That's al b.s.

A terrorist is soemone who comitts acts of violence and actually does something.

They never did anything.Australia is a english world country , they police abu bashir in Indonesia they police countries too.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Is it really that easy to get welfare in Australia that you can live there for ten years without ever having a job and just sit back in a government funded apartment or house?

No it isnt. There are a bazillion things you have to do to actually GET unemployed benefits here including proving you are actively seeking work. As for government housing - the waiting lists are endless and the housing commission places are abysmal. THey're an absolute joke. They are totally disgusting and crime is rampant on some estates.

I believe people do get an allowance here as in the Uk for setting up etc but there is no way that would run to 10 years.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I could be wrong, but I think Ace's point was they got more money once they were defined as terrorists. It is hardly kosher to give them raises as I see it.

I understand his point exactly. When is some one regarded as terrorist? This may be straight away, or months down the line. Who can tell?

All i am saying is, this happens in a lot of countries. Money is given to immigrants ,is just that. Money.

If they use it to fuel terrorist activities, then there is a problem with the system.
Once they have done this, then they can be held responsible, and be deported or whatever the relevant countries do to them now.

Its a world wide problem...........

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevoidSoul

I know if I hated america and australia both equaly and wanted to bomb one of them... THEN one decides to support my family, who would that leave you wanting to bomb?

Yeah, the logic is fine if you're using your own money, not the taxpayer's...

I'm simply advocating equal standards for everyone, if someone collaborates / sponsors known terrorists and their network, they get the shaft, unless they're employed by almighty state

fire them, if the WoT was serious, these accounting morons would have been shot for high treason by the dozens.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevoidSoul
Perhaps feeding the easily lead, ill educated, moronic fools will make them join you.

Giving people money doesn't always stop the hate.
Abu Hamza received quite a lot of money from the British Government but he still continued to preach his hate for Britain for many years.

I thin many of the immigrant youths who rioted in Paris were also getting benefits but it didn't stop them from hating the French Government.

new topics

top topics

join