It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I see people bashing fascists and racists and all kinds of -ists, i've been seeing it for years. sure, it's your right to do so. i agree with you, in fact.

the problem is that many people want to remove these people, their emotion from the human psyche. being that i'm a misanthropist, i'd like to inform you people that hatred is a right we all have - nobody can take it away. you think i'm ridiculous because i hate people? i think you're ridiculous for believing any of the world you're shown is real, but i acknowledge that you have the right to do so.

all i'm sayin' is to quit hatin' on the haters - we're people too, y'know? think they're idiots all you want, and if they come after you physically, then by all means defend yourself...but don't go after someone just because of their beliefs. bush did that, and look at the way you think about him.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
My husband has told me that I may be a misanthropist, so I can relate to you there.

The other point you make... That we have the right to hate is very true! It's not hatred or any other emotion, feeling or ideal that leads to destruction. It's action. We must draw the line at action. We in the US anyway are free (for now) to hate anyone we want.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Arrrgh!!! A totally profound post lost into the wilds of cyberspace, because I pushed the wrong bloody button. Aaaarrrrgh, I say again.

It seems to me that in order to hate something, or someone, you need first to have a personal knowledge of the person, or thing you profess to hate. I don't know if I can hate something, or someone, I know nothing of personally. Dislike? Certainly. Hate? I don't think so. This may be nothing more than a disagreement about semantics but it's how I view the subject.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
no, i agree with you...but some people go blindly into it. in order to make the intelligent decision to hate something, yes, you must know your subject. the problem is that people often perceive something and think that it's knowledge. don't underestimate human arrogance.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
When you say that people have a right to hate, do you mean a legal or a moral right?

If you mean a legal right, then of course that's true. But what you seem to be saying -- since you're calling on the posters here to cut haters some slack -- is that people have a moral right to hate. On that, I disagree. There are many bad things that are, and should remain, legal, because the government is either incapable of suppressing them, or would do more harm than good if it tried.

Yet those things remain bad things. And if we can suppress them nonviolently, outside the law, we should. I suggest that hate falls into that category.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Two Steps Forward
When you say that people have a right to hate, do you mean a legal or a moral right?

I don't think you were asking me, but I'm going to answer both. I don't think hatred in itself is a bad thing, it depends on where it's aimed and any ACTION taken as a result of that hatred.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with hating.... there's nothing wrong with hating the haters either.

Tis just another concept based on emotion which us "lucky" humans get to experience.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I hate people who hate people who hate haters!

Point taken, Kruel! Very good!

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
hate?
well that is something that EVERY HUMAN will feel at somepoint in their life.
Hate is an emotion and as humans we also have emotions ..hate is one of them, whether you are black/white/red/green or yellow, catholic/hindu or muslim, we all have hated someone or something and will coninue to.

Show me a human that has never hated and i WILL SHOW YOU A LIAR!!!!!!!

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't think hatred in itself is a bad thing, it depends on where it's aimed and any ACTION taken as a result of that hatred.

I disagree. Hatred itself is a bad thing, a poisonous thing, something that destroys the sensibilities and often the life of the hater. (If action is taken, it can also destroy the one hated -- but the hater is ALWAYS its victim, whether the hate is acted upon or not.)

Again, I think from your words that the legal vs. moral question is important here. If we were talking legalities, and what the government should do about it, then yes, only action matters; the state has no business practicing mind control. But if we are talking morality, then it isn't a question of some outside agency exercising control, but one of how you will control yourself. And on that scale, your feelings within count for MORE than your actions.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
my personal belief is that it's a misunderstood emotion. blind hatred (which i have experienced) serves no end, and in such cases you're right - it's nothing but negative. if you're informed, however, and motivated, hatred might push you to do something (nothing rash...that stems from blind hate) to remedy the situation. if you hate having your hand chopped into bits, you'll likely keep your hand out of the wood chipper, aye?

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   

If you mean a legal right, then of course that's true. But what you seem to be saying -- since you're calling on the posters here to cut haters some slack -- is that people have a moral right to hate. On that, I disagree.

And whose morals are "right"? Hating may be against your morals but totally acceptable in mine.

Be very careful when you start talking morals, that's all.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I disagree.

Well, I don't hate you for that.

Hatred itself is a bad thing, a poisonous thing, something that destroys the sensibilities and often the life of the hater.

We do disagree. And that's ok. But let me provide a scenario or two in which I think morally, hatred is a good thing. Hatred against an animal abuser can spur a positive action, like opening up an animal shelter. Hatred against child molesters can motivate a person to run for office or otherwise do something to help children who are molested. If we didn't hate anything or anyone, we might just accept the way things are and not be motivated to change anything for the better. Hatred is a fine motivator.

And jsobecky's right. It's against my morals to hate because of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. But it's perfectly fine morally (to me) to hate someone for doing something awful. It's morally ok for me to hate a child killer or a corrupt government (not mentioning any names).

And I believe it's actually healthy in some cases. Suppressing hatred, what I believe is a natural human emotion, can cause stress and disease. If a person has to force themselves to not feel a certain way that their every fiber is telling them to feel, it can really mess a person up.

I'm not saying that letting hatred consume a person is good, just the opposite. Feel the feeling and move through it or move to do something about it or let it go. But hatred, like joy, sadness, fear and hope, can motivate one to positive action.

Did I say it's the action that counts?

[edit on 1-6-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

But let me provide a scenario or two in which I think morally, hatred is a good thing. Hatred against an animal abuser can spur a positive action, like opening up an animal shelter. Hatred against child molesters can motivate a person to run for office or otherwise do something to help children who are molested.

Compassion for animals or for victims of abuse would spur that kind of action; hatred for the perpetrators would spur one to seek to do them harm. And even if they deserve what you do to them, in doing it you would also be doing yourself harm.

And jsobecky's right. It's against my morals to hate because of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. But it's perfectly fine morally (to me) to hate someone for doing something awful. It's morally ok for me to hate a child killer or a corrupt government (not mentioning any names).

I wonder if we are using the same definition of "hate" here. Hate is not the same as anger.

George W. Bush does some things that make me angry. That anger makes me want to ensure that his legacy does not survive his presidency, that what he has done is sufficiently disgraced that no successor will ever do it again. But after he leaves office, I will forget about him completely, except for use as an example to others. If I HATED him, then I would be motivated, not to undo the harm he has done, but to punish him, personally. And I would want to seek him out after he has left office and do him harm. This I will not do, nor want to do.

Suppressing hatred, what I believe is a natural human emotion, can cause stress and disease.

Suppressing ANGER can do these things. But hate is not anger; anger is acute while hate is chronic.

In any case, I am not talking about "suppressing" anything. I am talking about self-transformation through spiritual work. Hatred need not be suppressed. It can be overcome.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Compassion for animals or for victims of abuse would spur that kind of action;

Perhaps in some people. Others might need a little more motivation to actually cause positive action.

hatred for the perpetrators would spur one to seek to do them harm.

Maybe for you or some people, but surely not everyone responds to the same emotions the same way...

And even if they deserve what you do to them, in doing it you would also be doing yourself harm.

That's where that action thing I talked about comes in. I did mention the ACTION thing, didn't I?

I wonder if we are using the same definition of "hate" here. Hate is not the same as anger.

I know that.

If I HATED him, then I would be motivated, not to undo the harm he has done, but to punish him, personally. And I would want to seek him out after he has left office and do him harm.

This is your response. Not everyone would respond the same, as I said above.

Suppressing ANGER can do these things.

Hatred actually stems from anger which stems from fear. So, suppressing hatred would, by definition, be suppressing anger. Suppressing emotions of any kind can be dangerous to the physical and emotional health of humans.

Hatred need not be suppressed. It can be overcome.

Well, if one wishes to overcome it, then that's good news.

We may very well have different definitions of the word, but I don't think so. I hate people for the most part. I am open about it, I'm comfortable with it. It's not festering inside, and it's not keeping me from anything. I also love people. I know that may be a difficult thing to grasp, but it's true. Sometimes people just aren't as simplistic as we'd like them to be.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Maybe for you or some people, but surely not everyone responds to the same emotions the same way... This is your response. Not everyone would respond the same, as I said above.

Ah, that confirms it. We ARE using different definitions. What you are calling "hate" is what I would call "righteous anger" -- not even all kinds of anger.

An emotion is defined by what it makes you want to do, as well as how it makes you feel. Not necessarily by how you CHOOSE to act on it, but certainly by how it moves you. If it doesnt move you to want to have sex, it isn't lust. If it doesn't move you to want to do good things for someone, it isn't love. If it doesn't make you want to enjoy someone's company, it isn't liking. And if it doesn't move you to want to hurt someone, it isn't hate.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   

And if it doesn't move you to want to hurt someone, it isn't hate.

On whose authority?

I appreciate that you have this guideline that works for you but I’m telling you that you can’t just apply it to everyone. Well, you can but you might get pushback as you are experiencing here, with me. I can appreciate that this might be something you learned in a psychology class at some point, but there are as many definitions for the word hatred as there are for love. I don’t buy that anyone has actually defined it for everyone.

Source

Hate or hatred is an emotion of intense revulsion, distaste, enmity, or antipathy for a person, thing, or phenomenon; a desire to avoid, restrict, remove, or destroy its object. The emotion is often stigmatized; yet it serves an important purpose, as does love. Just as love signals attachment, hatred signals detachment.

Hatred can be based on fear of its object, justified or unjustified, or past negative consequences of dealing with that object.

It would seem that I’m using a definition of hatred that is fairly innocuous, while your definition is at the other end of the spectrum. Hatred doesn’t necessarily motivate people to hurt someone.

Source

Misanthropy is a hatred or distrust of the human race; or a disposition to dislike and mistrust other people.

Sometimes definitions are a bit wider than what one person might think. If it's all right wih you, I will define hatred for myself, knowing that my meaning is correct and right, and that there are official sources that agree with me. Okey-dokey? Thanks.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
misanthropy is the best thing that's ever happened to me

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Hate is very strong, and can poisen millions. But Love is Stronger, and can unite billions.

posted on Nov, 6 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
We should hate ignorance and love the truth. He and she that do that will live a fruitful life. Sadly too many try to prevent our basic rights.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join