It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Adventures Acquires SLC...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Space Adventures the "leading commercial space experiences company" has moved to acquire Space Launch Corporation to add to their intellectual properties portfolio. These folks are emerging as a significant player in "private" space enterprise.

Look for more acquisitions as the competition heats up. Space Adventures has a very "well versed" advisory board... check the article at this SpaceRef link. Won't be many years till many can afford sub-ortibal "hops" and such. Exciting times.

Thanx,

Victor K.

[edit on 30-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
That's great news. As much as I'm for the Rutan/Scaled/Virgin cadre, it would be really beneficial to see another major player step up. Keep the prices down and the ingenuity flowing.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It would seem the Space Adventures crew may be thinking of a future home grown private launch capability as opposed to their earlier space tourism excursions via Soyuz? Looks like Charles Simonyi is next in line with his ante, immunization and boarding pass for ISS at this link.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
That's great news. As much as I'm for the Rutan/Scaled/Virgin cadre, it would be really beneficial to see another major player step up. Keep the prices down and the ingenuity flowing.

Yep, that's pretty much what I was going to say. I'm a huge Burt Rutan geek and must admit to being quite the admirer of his vision and the inovations he's made both with space ship one and of course his (very cool) kit planes.

I do however think that comptetition is the best way for the space race to not only get back on track but survive, thrive and truly become a serious industry in the early twenty first century.

If everyone remembers all the soft ball style mud slinging NASA did during the launch of space ship one, that to me was the sign that they realised they've been very lazy in regards to inovations in space ship flight and design.

A third power group in the mix will do nothing but good things for the commercial space business.

IMO of course and as always.

Spiderj

edit: forgot to say "nice find V"

[edit on 5/30/2006 by Spiderj]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Why thank you, I'm flattered S'... trying to dig up some stuff on SLC... these are the micro-satellite guys... Space Adventures was a "tourism" company... Maybe NASA's recent Pegasus system launches are impressing the value of "small assets" in space for the BoD at SA? Gonna be a demand for tons of tiny coroporate satellites in the future... Hmmm, any thoughts? Oh yeah, an SLC link. I may even purchase some SA stock at some point... these guys may go "viral" if NASA can't carry the ball.

I want for NASA to succeed 100%, in every way, every time without exception, but "Gulliver" is at the mercy of those who run "Liliputia" from the wallet and arbitrary schedule pressures, I also want to see everyone else get there too... exciting times. I think we'll see a space "race" of sorts... first to market isn't always best. Stronger, lighter, faster, didn't Kennedy say "now is the time for great strides"? Budget up, beancounters down, throttle up.

Thanx,

Victor K.

[edit on 30-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I too want NASA to succeed, but I do think that when it comes to real exploration they're either going to have to work a lot more hand in hand with private industry or somehow go private themselves...which I don't even know how that would be possible.

I think it's partially all the red tape that holds NASA back as well.

Spiderj

join