It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

!! ATS HANDY HINTS !!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Posting "crap" several times in a crappy post is also crap!

j/k

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Last year we voted to delete "goodbye" posts as they were ususally just a final attempt at having a bitch and tearing the site down.

Coincidently DR voted for them to be deleted as well I think.

As DR's goodbye post filled all the criteria expected I deleted it.

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
kukla

Hint: For the fate of dragonrider's farewell message posted by Nerdling, visit the Complementary Currencies thread.

It is unlikely to be seen until someone gets it out of the Trash bin, or posts the text of it somewhere again.

No prob with you doing your job, Netchicken.

I don't think you meant "last year", unless you meant some break in fiscal years this calendar year.

Hint: Be aware that somebody is going to have seen something that gets posted up before it's deleted, more often than not, so be prepared to explain it, just like NC just did.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Is it not better to rebut an ignorant statement with a better argument or with salient facts or more conviction to the purpose of ATS?

That's more of a win-win-win.

1. You win, because you haven't resorted to stupidity.

2. The protagonist wins, if they have learned something from what you have presented.

3. ATS readers win, because they see you as the better person and you have scored a win for truth and understanding.

Exactly.
MA, we are truly blessed that you can be consitently arsed to point these things out. This next drink is dedicated to your good health!

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerat
Posting "crap" several times in a crappy post is also crap!

j/k

Hint: Be careful with metaposting (posting about posts).

The terms Post, Thread, and Topic can be misunderstood by new users.

Post = one response or thread initiation, made by pushing the 'Reply' or 'New Topic' button.

Thread = a subset of a Topic at most BBs

Topic = a new Topic initiated by the first Post using the 'New Topic' button. It includes both the title of the Topic, the first Post and all Posts following.

At ATS we tend to misuse the term "Thread", we actually don't have Threads to speak of. But it's cool, because we use the terms Thread and Topic interchangeably, for the most part.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Community Sevice Hint:

If you don't have your ATS email addy, buy it now (within the next one hour and 45 minutes), before the price goes from 5000 to 10,000.

Maybe I wish I'd got one before, but I like these things about the new ones:

1. You don't have to show it in your Profile or anywhere.
2. It doesn't have to be your User Name.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   
To those meanies out there:

No, you can't get someone email address, like [email protected], or [email protected], cause each request is personally checked by a team of ATS slave elves. If the user name and request don't match up then no email address is given! So don't think about aping someones ID by using a different name.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
A fair comment, ktprktpr and to reassure you, my new email addy is not ktpr, or ktprktpr, ot ktprktprktpr, or ktprktprktprktpr.

It's not my own User Id or anyone else's either, but it makes me want to check something out, that is - does me having my email addy stop a new user using my email addy for a Uder Id?

I guess it should - whaddya reckon?

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
To those meanies out there:

No, you can't get someone email address, like [email protected], or [email protected], cause each request is personally checked by a team of ATS slave elves. If the user name and request don't match up then no email address is given! So don't think about aping someones ID by using a different name.

damnit! *crosses email addy off of her Christmas list*

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Yeah i've seen some of them get their claws out but be nice to me in u2u and i find it quite funny

I try not to exclude anyone even if they do insult me, however i have a problem tolerating certain people which i shall try and keep under control.

I'm also addicted to the
smiley

The top three smilies I'm addicted to:

They're so cute!

posted on Oct, 22 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Saucerat

Your philosophy is good, but your maths is slightly out.

Posts can be worth 0, 2, 4, 10 or 20 points, and higher in the restricted Forums you mention.

Posts by fellow members on a topic you initiate in the right Forum earn you 5 points.

And if Mods are intensely pleased with the insight or value of any post you post, then you will receive Applause and a bonus award of 250 points.

Keep an eye out for incentives such as the current Halloween short story incentive (10,000 points to the winner, by 31 October).

The highest posts per day at the moment belong to the Neo (over 40 posts per day).

Longer career members, including Seekerof, Fulcrum, dragonrider and myself, average between 24 and 28 posts per day.

MAMSATSS: SD, KPID

(ibid: Statistics Division, Key Performance Indicators Department)

Just for the record, my ATS maraiges/manwife/manslave/mangina post recived an applause

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Here is the first handy hint, newly revised to accommodate the phenomenon that is BTS:

When you want a quick browse with your morning coffee or you are lying awake at night worrying about this or that fellow ATS member, use the following approach to get straight to the gist of what's going on.

1. Add these links to your browser's favorites:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.belowtopsecret.com...

2. They're the Todays Posts (Recently Activity Topics, or RAT - not to be confused with RATS) that lists ALL Today's Posts in one screen for AboveTopSecret and BelowTopSecret.

3. Look at the wealth of material you can read and respond to. Take your choice between the conspiracy and nastiness of the world outside or the serene boredom-denial of whatever gems are at BTS that day.

4. Respond at will in the few minutes you have allocated for your quick fix.

5. After each reply, use the Favorites links you have created straight away you have created to get to the refreshed page for Todays Posts, navigating between ATS and BTS at will, to see new replies that have been created while you composed your previous reply.

6. Finish your coffee, or go back to bed, before you fall asleep and your head hits the monitor.

Brought to you by:

MAMSATSS : TMSD, BTSASD, TAMSD.

(MaskedAvatar Management Science for Above Top Secret Surfing : Time Management Services Division, Below Top Secret Adjustment Sub-Division, Time And Motion Studies Department.

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I know that MA is a hefty disdain for this particular 'man', as do others, but I am posting this "helpful hint" because of its message (if the link still works, haven't used it in awhile) .....

I have found the ATS 'search' function to be very helpful and informative.

The second helpful hint would be to listen to the wise MA. Though I often go against what he/she says, I find alot of truth in what he/she says.....

The third would be to hit at least one advertisement in aiding the cause(s) of ATS.

regards
seekerof

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:31 PM
link   
MA is becoming my life coach.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
MA is becoming my life coach.

That assignment is a tough one.

And woebetide anyone who takes on the assignments in half-cocked fashion.

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I almost forgot about this thread.

If you want to post more, go to BTS. You can usually post stuff without it sounding like crap, because it doesn't really take much thought for general discussion topics.

If you want more points, then go to ATS. It does take some thought and research at times, but it's worth the post.

If you find yourself getting bored with ATS/BTS because of the lack of good topics, then go back in time and click through the previous pages of thread. You can usually find some pretty interesting stuff in there. Some of it may be time sensitive and outdated, but it's worth adding your opinion to.

posted on Oct, 31 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   

If you get a spanking (Warning) you lose 250 points.

Can somebody spank me a bit?

I love S&M..

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 04:11 PM
link   
1. Read this thread cover to cover.

2. When reading other threads, read them cover to cover. Sometimes that might even take 10 minutes! But read them, cover to cover, if you have not read them before. Even the groundbreaking Seismic thread.

3. After you have read them, you will be in a position to understand what the Topic originator was getting at, how the dialogue has flowed, and what new information and quality has been introduced to ATS via that Topic.

4. You will avoid giving your kneejerk response to the Topic title as if you were the first person responding. You will therefore not annoy other ATS members by bringing something up that may have been resolved several pages before.

5. You will learn more about the Topic (in many cases) and about fellow members, by showing the courtesy of reading their thoughts, rather than pretending that they do not exist and that the Topic was put up for the sole benefit of you.

6. You will be a better member and a better poster. Maybe even a better person.

Sermon from the mountaintop complete. Plaudits here, complaints to Rant forum.

[Edited on 2-11-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I read this thread front to back before posting...

I thought it appropriate to deposit this link.

It is a fairly accurate description (in a comical sense)
of most of the types of forum poster's.

Flame Warriors

Although I see myself intermittenly in several of these personalities, there are one or two that I fall into easily.

This is only a reference that may be useful, to prevent oneself from being considered any of the extreme's that are listed.

(Thanks go to Flinx for showing me this link.Excellent...
)

[Edited on 2-11-2003 by smirkley]

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   
smirkley

I also back the validity of the Flame Warriors personality typecasting.

A while back a few people did their self-analysis here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have developed a couple of Masks underneath the other ones I talked about there (not on top of).

posted on Nov, 2 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   

(...had I of just searched with the 'search button'....)

Man I set myself up for that one didnt I ?!

Well, I thought it was hilarious, and in my rush to post it...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join