It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magna Carta tops British day poll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   

The anniversary of the signing of Magna Carta has been chosen as the best date to celebrate Britishness.

The charter imposed on King John on 15 June 1215 by rebel barons limited the power of the monarch and gave ordinary people rights under common law.

Its anniversary was picked by 27% of the 5,002 people polled by BBC History magazine, with VE Day, 8 May, taking 21%, and D-Day, 6 June, attracting 14%.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Also note, 2% voted for Cromwellian republic: 2%
i know Cromwell gave us a Parliament, but i doubt the Monarchy will welcome us celebrating a Republic

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Magna Carta tops British day poll
Chancellor Gordon Brown recently called for a new day for national identity.

*cough*

Mr Brown seems to forget as nearly all politcians seem to, that there are already a few days in the year that we could celebrate as national holidays but don't.

England - St George - 23rd April
Scotland - St Andrew - 30th November
Wales - St David - 1st March
Ireland - St Patrick - 17th March

How about making these days national holidays?

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The idea of "Four days of British" was a popular idea,

But the Magna Carta is an English document

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think we do pretty badly compared to our EU neighbours in the public holiday stakes, IIRC we get 9 where many of them are around 14.

Mind you, as soon as anyone starts discussing this some nutter starts complaining that we are only going to utterly destroy ourselves because China and India will do a(ny) job 365 per year 18hrs+ a day non-stop for no more than £1.

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Well who would of thought? Given the amount of public support for a constitution (not one extending the powers of Europe, but limiting the ones of the British state) I would say the two things are definetely linked.
Trouble is that in British courts the older a law the more irrelevant it is usually judged to be. Let's just hope that Magna Carta remains kind of an exception!!!
Furthermore let's just hope a brand new e.g the Parliamentary Regulatory Reform Act doesn't get in the way, ether now or in the future should it be extended.
www.saveparliament.org.uk...

new topics

top topics

join