It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bit of advice for rocks, anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Hows it going?

Just wondering, I've been going through my comps 'Add/Remove Programs' list, and have deleted about 20 programs of about 50-60 MB each. How much faster will my computer run?

Take a look at this. Perhaps some of you will know what it means:

Originally ripped off wtr's computer

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire SA10
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 192MB RAM
Page File: 277MB used, 237MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: SiS 650/651/740/661FX/741/760 series
Chip type: SiS 651C Rev 00
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_6330&SUBSYS_0C5D105B&REV_00
Display Memory: 64.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: SiSGRV.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3600 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Date/Size: 6/25/2004 13:06:34, 809472 bytes

After I deleted all those programs, which memory bank (or whatever its called) did this extra space go to? How did that effect the speed of my comp?

And how the hell can I have 4Gb of music if Ive got only 192MB of memory? Does the 192MB refer to something entirely unrelated to storage space?

In C:\ drive properties, it says Ive used 26.7 GB and I've got 10.5 GB free. Will that effect how fast this thing goes? And is this the drive that gets more space when you by one of those external hard-drives?

Okay, it appears that this has just become a general Q&A, I'm sorry, but how can I get my comp to go really fast? Thanks in advance!

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
After I deleted all those programs, which memory bank (or whatever its called) did this extra space go to? How did that effect the speed of my comp?

It goes right back to your hard drive, where it came from. It also freed up some space so that you don't have to sift through as many files to get to what your looking for. (you don't sift, your computer does, so it speeds it up that way.)

And how the hell can I have 4Gb of music if Ive got only 192MB of memory? Does the 192MB refer to something entirely unrelated to storage space?

THe 192mb you're refering to is RAM, random access memory. THat is how much your computer can have stored in it's buffer at a given time. The 4 gb is stored on the hard drive. It only goes through the RAM when you're listening to it. I doubt your listening to more than 1 song at a time, so that should do fine.

In C:\ drive properties, it says Ive used 26.7 GB and I've got 10.5 GB free. Will that effect how fast this thing goes? And is this the drive that gets more space when you by one of those external hard-drives?

You've got plenty of space free. Start to worry when you get down to less than 10% of the HD space.

Okay, it appears that this has just become a general Q&A, I'm sorry, but how can I get my comp to go really fast? Thanks in advance!

One quick fix is to do this:
right click "my computer" -> properties -> click the "advanced" tab -> under performance click "settings" -> click "advanced" tab -> under virtual memory click "settings" -> increase the paging file to 800mb.

Hope this helps.

R.O.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Ahh thanks. That's great. I actually do know a bit about computers, but have just never bothered to find out about the performance side of things.

I increased the size of the paging file, but it wasn't really as simple as stated. The original values in it were vastly different, with about 200 MB the difference between 'initial size' and 'maximum size.' Does it matter that both the values are not the same?
Couldn't I put an even higher number in there considering that there is 11, 097 MB free? Take my 10.5GB of free space down to 9.5?

Here, is this right, considering all other other little buttons and options?

edit: picture

[edit on 30/5/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If you have 192MB ram the ideal setting for your Virtual Memory should be 1.5X your memory. 195+97=292. If you set it too high your system will be constantly accessing the drive. If you want to tweak up your system a bit, disable Hibernation, remove unwanted programs from the startup, disable unneeded services such as windows Time, disable indexing, windows CD Burning ,remote registry, you can also change the Internet Explorer cache settings to a lower number like 100MB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Disable Hibernation
Start/Control panel/Display/Screen Saver/Power/Hibernation Tab uncheck to disable
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Diskperformance tweak
Start/Run type in: diskperf -n click OK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disable HDD Indexing
Start/My Computer Right Click on Local Drive C and left click properties
Uncheck Allow Indexing service to Access this disk for fast file searching
Apply to Entire Drive,click Ignore all when you get an error
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tweak for Internet Explorer
Start/Control Panel/Internet Options click on Settings button and change the number to 128 and click OK, you can also change your history settings to a lower number as well. Click on the ADVANCED Tab and scroll all the way to the bottom and place a check on "Empty temporary Internet files folder when browser is closed" click Apply and then OK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are NOT part of a network and you DONT share files or Printers
Click Start/Control panel/Network Connections
Double Click Local Area Network
Click on properties Button

Uninstall the following
Microsoft networking
QOS Packet Scheduler
File and Printer Sharing

LEAVE ONLY TCP/IP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Disable Windows Time
Double Click the Clock on your Task bar
Click on INTERNET TIME tab
Uncheck Automatically Synchronize with time server. Click APPLY and then OK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you do not have a lot of saved passwords and forms

This software is excellent for removing old temporary files
www.ccleaner.com

Download and install this program
while installing make sure to UNCHECK where it says Install Yahoo Toolbar on the Installation option page

After installation, run the program, and click on the "Run Cleaner" button in the right hand corner. It will take a while for the first time to complete. If you do this at least once a week it will be fast the next time. Its a great program to wipe your internet tracks away.

Lastly try to run Defrag at least once a week
Click on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter and then click on Defragment. This will take a long time also if you have never done it.

Good Luck

Pie

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Hey man just thought I'd say that upgrading the amount of RAM in your computer could help your performance, and if you don't want to pay someone to do it, it's probably the simplest hardware upgrade you can do to your computer.

You would probably see a bit of a performance increase if you went up to 512mb

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
If I can add my 2 cents as well. If you got a dollar or two to spend, spend it on some RAM - as Jackster said. I think that's one of your bigger speed issues (in your "case"). Then you could spend some $$$ on a new hard drive. There's nothing wrong with 40 Gig, but 80 Gig would make life so much easier. Neither of these two components cost you an arm or a leg, so you won't have to re-invent your budget...

Then for an added extra you may want to consider a better Graphics card. You're card is on the lower end - in terms of today's standards. You might find it lacking when trying to play a new game. Consider a 256 MB card - you won't really notice the difference with a standard 128 MB card. A better graphics card will take some strain of the rest of the PC.
(From what I can tell you've got an onboard Graphics Card? You may want to talk to some experts at the store before you pick a card... In some cases an onboard component doesn't always mean easy Plug&Playing...)

posted on May, 31 2006 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Haha, I know about that graphics card. Do a google search for watchtherocks and you'll see my name all over the internet learning what a graphics card is and why mine is so crap!

But I'm not too sure about spending any amount of money at the moment. This morning I needed a bit of cash, and soon realized that I didn't have a cent over $2 handy. Sad.

Thanks for the feedback everybody! Pieman, those tweaks you recommended did seem to have an effect on my comp. Thanks!!

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Okay, I need to upgrade the RAM. Using adobe Illustartor, I cant complete a lot of operations because the computer complains it's out of RAM. Not happy.
How do you increase it? Is it something I have to buy, or can I play with the settings?

You see, I have no idea.

edit: wtf am I talking about??

[edit on 2/6/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Okay, I need to upgrade the RAM. Using adobe Illustartor, I cant complete a lot of operations because the computer complains it's out of RAM. Not happy.
How do you increase it? Is it something I have to buy, or can I play with the settings?

You see, I have no idea.

edit: wtf am I talking about??

RAM is pretty easy to upgrade, and not that expensive. (An important fact to remember is NOT to go for cheap RAM! Ever!) The only trick to upgrading your RAM is figuring out which kind of RAM your machine wants, in increments of x2 (let's not get technical on that). RAM is sold separately. (Note that SIMMs are generally installed in pairs!)

While I've got nothing to do I'll give you a quick lesson on RAM... Do you have time?

RAM is Random Access Memory. It is the part of the computer that processes information. When a program is started it is loaded into RAM to be run.

Inside your computer is one or more slots (usually black - most modern PC's have more than one) that contain memory chips.
Google Images can show you what RAM looks like and what the slots look like.

How do you tell what RAM your PC wants?
The manual that came with your computer's motherboard should have details on what kind of RAM you will need, how much RAM each slot can take and how many slots your computer has. OR check online documentation.

But in most cases you threw that out on day two, right?
Then you might want to try and figure it out for yourself. There are many different kinds of RAM. There are many types of RAM: EDO, FPM, SDRAM SODIMM, RAMBUS and more. In most cases you'll have to take out the memory chip and look at it to know which type it is. In some cases it tells you on the motherboard - next to the slot - what kind of RAM it uses, ie. DIMM0, DIMM1, etc.
THIS GUIDE is perfect to help you find out what kind of RAM you have. I'll bet that it's DDR.

The best bet is to take your own RAM to a computer store, and tell them that's the kind of RAM that you have, and you want to upgrade. Don't settle for anything less than 256 MB. (Added with your existing RAM it should give you enough room to manoeuvre.) But if you have an extra buck or so, settle for 1 Gig RAM (if your PC takes them) or even 512 MB would do.

Again. DO NOT go for cheap RAM! The best (most popular?) brands are Corrsair, Crucial, Kingston and even PDP (although I don't like 'em, others do...). Cheap RAM means bad quality (in most cases, sometimes you're lucky), which means endless problems. When RAM is "bad" it is often difficult to track the problem down to the RAM.

Then, when you bought the RAM, this guide is perfect to help you do the final installation.

See. Easy peasy!

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Okay, I'll proceed to rip my comp apart because I did in fact 'lose' those manuals within the week. There is usually smoke involved when I take apart comps, but perhaps I'll refrain from turning this one on while its apart.

Any idea how much it will cost? $20? $600?

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
he is using 64MB of shared memory for his onboard Video. He has 256MB of ram total. If you don't use your computer for gaming you could lower your shared Video ram to 32MB or even 16MB and get a few megs squeezed back into the system

Your system seems to use PC2700 DDR333 memory. It should be cheap to add 512MB more

Acer Aspires are pretty nice machines. I sell them in my shop sometimes when I get a good deal on them. Its the only commercially built system I sell other then my own custom built ones.

Pie

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   

There is usually smoke involved when I take apart comps, but perhaps I'll refrain from turning this one on while its apart.

Hehehe... Been there. Done that... Want a T-Shirt?
Did you know that it's actually the smoke that makes the PC work? And whenever the smoke escapes from within the PC, it will stop working...

Any idea how much it will cost? $20? $600?

Sorry, I have no idea what the US prices are like. In SA I can pay around R300 - R 1000 for a "chip", so I guess you'll pay anything between $60 to $120 for a "chip". Maybe try some online shops to get an idea for the ballpark, or maybe a US member can help you out?

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
he is using 64MB of shared memory for his onboard Video. He has 256MB of ram total.

Indeed. I meant that he shouldn't settle for anything less than an extra 256 MB thus = 512 MB.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Okay, ta, gemwolf. Maybe I'll creep up to melbourne and poke around the shops there.

And no, I don't normally use this thing for games. Downloaded Lock On: Modern Air Combat a while ago, and cracked the shets when my screen went sectionalized. Once again, not happy.

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GemwolfIndeed. I meant that he shouldn't settle for anything less than an extra 256 MB thus = 512 MB.

As for me, my laptop(Acer Aspire 3000) had 512 MB ram installed. Just added another 256 MB from a previous laptop, big difference when using photoshop. But I still could use more, when the $$$ permits.

btw - sorry for hijacking the thread. Just wanted to add this comment.

I just noticed this...

Originally posted by Gemwolf Did you know that it's actually the smoke that makes the PC work?

April 2004 (maybe 2005?) I believe MaximumPC had that as a theme. Complete with adjustable Pentium processor.
I think I still have it. If I do I'll post the pics.

*edit = insert the following text*

No, unfortunately I could'nt find that issue of MaximumPC. It must have gone out with the last thorough housecleaning.
Funny April fools issue, though.

[edit on 6/2/2006 by Mechanic 32]

new topics

top topics

join