It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida woman in coma being starved to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I only posted part of the story there is more on the link provided rense.com...
"WASHINGTON -- For 13 years Terri Schiavo has lain in bed severely brain-damaged, fed by a tube and unable to tell the outside world whether she wants to live or die.

Her husband, Michael, says his wife once told him she would not want her life artificially extended. Her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, argue against the opinion of most experts that with extensive therapy she might to some extent recover. Even if she does not improve, they say, life in any form is worth preserving."

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The woman made her decision while she was in good health, so her parents should respect her wishes. Unfortunately it is unlikely that it is in wiriting, so it would be difficult to support.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If those were her wishes then I agree but....to starve her?.....death row inmates get the "painless" leathel injection....but they starve her?

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
ahhh but DID she make that decision, it wasn't written down at all and the husband has a million dollar payout a new wife and child.

But the issue is how long is she to be kept on artifical life when there is no hope for recovery? If the machines keep her alive - so she wouldn't live without them, then ate the providers of those machine allowed to turn them off again?

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The poor thing does'nt even know whats going ot happen to here,the woman's brian is mush so she hs no clue that she will die.

But we are giving brutal killers a painless lethal needle while she an innocent woman brain dead one at that starves.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The electric chair, shooting, burning to death, drowinig, poisioning, strangeling, stabbed, being runover by a car, being thrown off a building are all mire humane ways than starving. Even convicted criminals are intightled to laws that protect them from cruel and unusual punishment......this woman that has done nothing will reach a much slower death than any criminal executed by this country. Ever tried to sleep while you are starving?...she will lay there hungry and aware not being able to sleep and just slowly starve to death. It's a crime to let it happen like this, not to take her life if thats what she wants......IF THATS WHAT SHE WANTS....I personally would want to die....but not starving. when its your time its your time....people should not intervene with gods work

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Everyone assumes that she is in an unrecoverable state. I heard that her eyes are open, and she can move around... what if she knows whats going on but cannot communicate?

They might find a treatment in 5 years at this rate of medical advancements. People have been known to come out of commas you know...

Besides, who is it hurting to let her live?

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well, Jeb Bush just ordered her feeding tube be re-inserted....Probably the best choice he ever made. Not a hard choice considering that animals are put down in a more humane way.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:10 PM
link   
i think if a person has a deathly seize and/or going to be suffering they should have the right to be asked to be put out of there mesery

now, if this little girl told here parents/friends she would like to die then let here, but please just give her a painless shot... dont starve her to death thats the worst pain.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Below is the article about Bush saving her life and his career
www.worldnetdaily.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I like to think that it was all the threatning emails that everyone (my self included) sent to Bush and other Fla Reps. but Those are just deleted after being read by their staff and anything thats not agreed with is sent right to the trash before the Gov or any rep has a chance to read it.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is a long standing medical/ethical dilemma.

What does one do for a patient who "should" be dead? We have life support machines that can act as a heart, lungs, kidneys, and just about all other vital organs. Technically speaking, that would mean a person could be kept "alive" virtually forever, even without a functioning heart, or brain. As long as the organs' functions are being carried out (through whatever assitance necessary) a person is TECHNICALLY still alive.

The dilemma in this case is differing medical opinions. The husband states that all of the doctors who have checked out his wife have said the same thing. Her brain is gone, she is not self aware, and in their opinion no longer "alive" anyways. The family says their doctors believe her condition is grave but can be improved.

This, in my opinion is a medical/ethical dilemma that honestly is no business of politicians. Gov. Bush, in his infinite medical wisdom has made a decision. How nice. I am not attempting to make a decision on Ms. Schiavo's case because I am not an expert neurologist, and I've never seen her. Neither is Mr. Bush. Neither are most the people sending him letters.

These decisions are extremely difficult ones and should be made by a qualified, well researched, medical authority. If that authority deemed that Ms. Schiavo was no longer "alive", well then decisions would need to be made on what to do. Slowly cutting off support and letting her body waste away is not the way to do it of course.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
coma : A state of deep, often prolonged unconsciousness, usually the result of injury, disease, or poison, in which an individual is incapable of sensing or responding to external stimuli and internal needs.

by definition she is in no coma, i know people in her status who can communicate by computer but looks out of it like her, she smiles, laughs, tries to talk(even getting some words out), she reacts to pain stimuli.

the fact she never had a swallow test, no physical or occupational therepy or anything to help her recover tells me the husband is trying to hide something plus the fact he sealed her medical records and also she gets agitated, tries to cry and all that when he visits her.

he should be investigated from trying to kill her, when she got the brain damage she had bruises, broken bones and evidence of blunt trauma injuries which none of these things were investigated.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 08:09 PM
link   
My GodMother was in the same situation before she died. She had a stroke and had brain damage and wouldn't have been able to live life at all. So her husband took her off life-support and thus, she died. But she would have wanted it that way, so I supported his decision. But her family never forgave him for stopping the life-support. May she rest in peace.

top topics

join