It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

which search engine do you use?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
*note:if another thread has been started that is similar please feel free to delete MODS-thank you

Im starting this thread to get a general consensus of the preferred search engine used by our fellow members here at ATS. And, also, why they prefer that one over the other.GOOGLE or BOOLEAN

personally I like the GOOGLE engine I found it MUCH MUCH easier to use and have struggled with the BOOLEAN engine since it inception.

Any responses please be sure to include the engine you prefer and a small paragraph as to why you prefer it.

Thank you for your response

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
For normal stuff, the "Goog", maybe mamma.com, plus specialty news sites, you kind of need a bunch of them and there are services and apps that'll "stack" engines in a queue too. Had a few favorites in the last decade or so... for the longest time Alta-Vista seemed adequate...

I like Google and have it as home page on many machines. MS search was always... well, not my first preference. There are many fine search engines, Google has the most search "first page read" capabilities by far, owing to their server and appliance strength advantage, best on the planet, but I'm not so sure they do full site text searches, I may be entirely wrong. I really like Google language translation having used it few times too, French to English and some German. Google Earth and Google Mars? Brilliant, biggest thing since the Blackberry.

Many search engines only read the first "X" number of words on the "Index" page of most web sites... full site text search is avaiable through some services and some custom high dollar apps more suited to non-PC hardware.

For big or academic stuff, archie, veronica, gopher and jughead depending on the network, some Universities have some really boss, but funky gopherspace directory searches too... usually at their computer lab or library stacks, many are wireless access.

Most folks just need 1 or 2 http engines though. "Search" is very big biz and even bigger algo's... by some accounts over 10 cents per click in some markets... for some things much, much more.

Hmmm. Remember "So as Ye shall search, so shall Ye be searchable"... Imagine what a search company knows about searches, that is, what folks want to know. Seems a useful, perhaps even predictive tool. LOL.

Thanx,

Victor K.

[edit on 29-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
thanks V for your response

I also love the google earth program ..but google mars? thats new to me..lol

Thanks for listing some of the "outer"search engines that you like to use...some of which ive never even heard of

when you use the google for searching on ATS do you use the google box on the ATS page or the main google.com page? not that there is really a except we have the ATS,PTS,BTS, and web search on the ATS pages.

Also what do you think of the BOOLEAN search engine here on ATS?

tone23

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Most often when on ATS I'm searching for a specific thread or post so I use the "Search" button which allows me to do that. The new ATS v5 site Google Search option ain't too shabby either.

Please ask around, there are many fine searches engines. Archie, veronica, gopher and jughead are just old school that's all... and require a little more "pilot education". Most folks don't even know what a terminal window is these days, let alone telnet and "get" stuff, not to mention the data there too... times change.

Thanx,

Victor K.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
Most often when on ATS I'm searching for a specific thread or post so I use the "Search" button which allows me to do that. The new ATS v5 site Google Search option ain't too shabby either.

Please ask around, there are many fine searches engines. Archie, veronica, gopher and jughead are just old school that's all... and require a little more "pilot education". Most folks don't even know what a terminal window is these days, let alone telnet and "get" stuff, not to mention the data there too... times change.

Thanx,

Victor K.

thanks again V. You have opened my eyes to the world of search engines

I learn something new evey day.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I use Google sometimes, Yahoo a lot and Copernic now and then.
www.copernic.com...

Copernic is nice as it often picks up stores not easily found in the big-name search engines. There is a free version, although I got the upgrade for the extra features.

However, I don't think this is really board business, more a chit chat discussion. So, I will move it there

[edit on 29-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
I use Google sometimes, Yahoo a lot and Copernic now and then.
www.copernic.com...

Copernic is nice as it often picks up stores not easily found in the big-name search engines. There is a free version, although I got the upgrade for the extra features.

thanks tread for your reply AND the link. I'm gonna look at that one right...now

so far the tally is:
*also thanks for moving the thread. I wasnt sure where to put it
Google:2
Boolean:0
other:2

[edit on 29-5-2006 by TONE23]

top topics

join