It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthrax in the mail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What ever happend to the anthrax in the mail from 2001? Its scary to think that the people responsible are still out there. There was enough weapons grade anthrax going through our mail system to whipe out NYC if done correctly. I'm sure whoever it was learned from their mistakes and is just waiting for the perfect time. I saw on the news they said it came from one of our own bio labs in the states. Anyone heard anything on this lately.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Can we please cut some slack to the globalists here? sheesh, just let sleeping dogs lay already..

Yes, the anthrax story is long gone, much like Kaiser Soza, it never really existed to begin with. I mean c'mon really, CIPRO flew off the shelves in wake of the Anthrax Ames strain (yay for Carlyle group!). It got us into a war with Iraq, mission accomplished. And now we're seeing Rumsfeld's Tamiflu business venture materialize with the H5N1 virus.

Did you know the White House and the Cabinet were given the antibiotic CIPRO on September 11, 2001, seven days prior to the date the first anthrax letter was even mailed?

If you like Ironic statements, Colin Powell stated the day prior to the Iraq invasion that, "Saddam Hussein has not verifiably accounted for even one teaspoon-full of this deadly material (antrax)". It is now a known fact that the Anthrax came from an American military base.

War anyone?

[edit on 29-5-2006 by syntaxer]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Yes the DNA sequence of the Anthrax was from United States (at least originally)
www.newscientist.com...

There's about 5 possible theories as to why this might be so...
1. A evil follower of Osma Bin Laden’s Al Qaeda International Terrorist Organization scaled the walls of some high security research centre, and delivered it to the "Infidels" by mail.
2. A mad U.S scientist so concerned about the threat posed by biological weapons decided that the best way to make to make this threat known was to demonstrate it.
3. The U.S supplied the anthrax to some unknown country in the past, only to have it returned by an unhappy customer a few years-decades later.
4. A republican (possibly going by the initials GWB) and short of reasons for a war in Iraq thought that such an attack would be good for getting the public into the mood for such a war. However being very stupid this Republican used his own WMD material rather than the stuff easily available from the samples collected by the WMD inspectors, working in Iraq.

5. The U.S military (or at least one of its many private suppliers) thought that it would be a healthy thing for the WMD research budgets. They would of been successful (the biological warfare defence budget has more than doubled since the attack).

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Well I found quite a few good articles on this at the time... now I'm looking and I've found this article by George Monbiot for starters...

While some of the anthrax the terrorist sent was spoiled during delivery, one sample appears to have come through intact. The letter received by Senator Tom Daschle contained one trillion anthrax spores per gram: a concentration which only a very few US government scientists, using a secret and strictly controlled technique, know how to achieve. It must, moreover, have been developed in a professional laboratory, containing rare and sophisticated "weaponization" equipment. There is only a tiny number of facilities--all of them in the US--in which it could have been produced.

As we know, the anthrax was traced to Fort Detrick, and at some point all their stock of the Ames strain was destroyed, rendering it impossible to genetically identify which batch the spores came from.

The FBI's investigation was rather suspect in itself:

Barbara Hatch Rosenberg has produced a profile of the likely perpetrator. He is an American working within the US biodefense industry, with a doctoral degree in the relevant branch of microbiology. He is skilled and experienced at handling the weapon without contaminating his surroundings. He has full security clearance and access to classified information. He is among the tiny number of Americans who had received anthrax vaccinations before September 2001. Only a handful of people fit this description. Rosenberg has told the internet magazine Salon.com that three senior scientists have identified the same man--a former USAMRIID scientist--as the likely suspect. She, and they, have told the FBI, but it seems that all the bureau has done in response is to denounce her.

Instead, it has launched the kind of "investigation" which might have been appropriate for the unwitnessed hit and run killing of a person with no known enemies. Rather than homing in on the likely suspects, in other words, it appears to have cast a net full of holes over the entire population.

Now I remember the media frenzy that accompanied the letters at the time. I remember hearing the words "anthrax" and "Islamic terrorists" in close proximity without ever any actual connecting evidence. But I've come across this rather interesting detail (which I didn't know at the time) here:

Because the accompanying notes included militant Islamist rhetoric and were mailed in the weeks after the Sept. 11 attacks, investigators at first pursued the possibility that al-Qaida might be responsible.

But the notes also warned that the letters contained anthrax and urged recipients to take antibiotics, which investigators believe points to an American more intent on sounding an alarm about bioterrorism than killing large numbers of people.

I also remember thinking at the time, if these were real Islamic terrorists, why address the letters to Democrats when the Republicans were the ones in power? Why not address them to the White House? That's the thing you'd expect them to do, surely? Or did they know that the White House, as referenced above, started issuing Cipro to its staffers long before? Odd.

Here is an excellent page I've found with lots of links. Well worth a look.

I can't find the original article I was looking for and I'm going to have to cut this short, but it seems that Dr Steven J Hatfill was the main suspect in that article. He is a US scientist who was on loan to BOSS in the bad old days when they were fighting the ANC. Guess what? While he was out there the ANC started to suffer outbreaks of anthrax!

Hardly a comprehensive roundup but it'll have to do for now.

new topics

top topics

join