It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Being requirement for Masonic membrship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This is a question posed to all resident Masons:

How flexible is the supreme being belief requirement for joining a lodge?

The reason I ask is that I'm intersting in possibly joining a local lodge but I am concerned that I may not qualify for membership because of my beliefs. I'm not an atheist, but I'm not exactly a rank-and-file believer, either. The best way to describe my beliefs is somewhere between Buddhism and agnosticism. I'm a spiritual person, but I'm not into any sort of dogma. I don't believe that there is a white-bearded guy in the sky pulling all the strings, for example.

Given my stated beliefs, do you think I would be able to join?

Thanks

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I was under the impression it is invite only?

Cug

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
They are not invite only.

23rd_Degree, you might not get an answer as anything that seems like masonic recruiting is not allowed here and IMHO this could seem like it is.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cug
23rd_Degree, you might not get an answer as anything that seems like masonic recruiting is not allowed here and IMHO this could seem like it is.

Threads must have a conspiracy angle, and I fear this doesn't. In the spirit of the forum I won't follow through on this here, but would be happy to deal with this question via U2U.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman

Originally posted by Cug

Threads must have a conspiracy angle, and I fear this doesn't. In the spirit of the forum I won't follow through on this here, but would be happy to deal with this question via U2U.

Ah, I see. I had no idea that questions about a secret society would not be allowed in a forum called "Secret Societies." I guess I should've known better?
I stopped posting here about 18 months ago, and now I'm remembering why: too many silly rules. Kinda reminds me of the goverment.

Seriously, this ins't about recruiting. I want to know specifcs about membership in a secret society. I think that's totally on point, but hey, I could be wrong.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23rd_Degree
Given my stated beliefs, do you think I would be able to join?

You would have no problem in my Lodge, or Grand Lodge. If you would like, U2U me with the city and state you reside in, and I can further acertain whether it would be a problem.

Originally posted by seridium
I was under the impression it is invite only?

Further demonstrating the "depth" of your knowledge regarding Freemasonry.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful MeYou would have no problem in my Lodge, or Grand Lodge. If you would like, U2U me with the city and state you reside in, and I can further acertain whether it would be a problem.

Thank you very much.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
freemasonry has a strict "no recruitment" policy. hence..masonry is not an invite only club. we welcome and educate those who come to US..we dont recruit.
we may invite someone to have dinner at the lodge, whos shown some interest in joining or what not, but we dont hunt for new members.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
From what I understand, Freemasonry isn't a religon. It is an organization for spiritual men. So you don't have to believe in a specific deity or religon. You simply have to believe in the existance of a Supreme Being. How you view that Being or what you call it is personally up to you alone and your beliefs. You cannot be an absolute athiest, i.e., believe there is no higher conciousness/spirit/Being ect in the universe.

But if you believe in say a higher power, yet dont put a name or face on it, Id imagine you can be a Mason. But Im not a Mason, Im just sharing what Ive learned.

So I dont see why you couldnt join, provided youre a decent upright person who is spiritual and believes in things beyond self and gratification.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
true statement...

u just have to believe in a higher power...be it allah, buddah, jesus, god, native american beliefs, etc...as long as u believe.

where people get confused is that a lot of the times in lodges, the religion that the majority of the brothers share, is what is represented...i.e. in a lodge where there is a majority catholic membership...a bible is used as the volume of sacred law...in majority jewish areas, itll be the torah, etc etc. but that just for representation of the sacred and divine.

NOW...i have heard of some lodges who have interpreted the supreme being aspect of membership as the GOD of christianity....and implement it this way. but for the most part i think its safe to say (especially in CA) it is just the "supreme being" requirement..along w/ others if they apply.

like in CA it was told to me as:

1) belief in a higher power
2) the ability to support yourself and family.

[edit on 1-6-2006 by yin_yang]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Well OK, I guess I was wrong then. The must be a conspiracy amongst mods to keep this thread going for their own nefearious purposes

Skadi - spot on. However just believing in a Supreme Being wouldn't be enough. The nature of freemasonry is such that the Being would have to be Good rather than Evil. Also, to join one must be of 'full age' and be of their 'own free will and accord' (i.e. not coerced).

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Trinity, we were just keeping it open so you'd say that, and then close, just to mess with ya!

new topics

top topics

join