It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US soldier shoots afghan after traffic accident. Riots Erupt in Kabul

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
today.reuters.com...

Onsite Reuters reporters not only didn't find Coalition forces engaging unarmed targets, their reported the actions of the Afghan Police.

Alright, thanks.

Judging from my vantage point, claimign the US is the 'biggest dealer' is pretty ridiculous at the best of time.

You are entitled to your own opinion of course, but the facts speak entirely for themselves, and they do not support your theory. Check into the Coke and the Opium. Anyhow, I wont go into that at any length here, it's too far off topic.

Drugs harder than pot are prettymuch guaranteed to cause 'collateral' crimes. Crackheads steal to support their habits, etc. So, this causes more spending for police forces, rehab programs and most important healthcare. Overdoses, HIV, other infections cost the taxpayer money. More importantly, they divert funds from more important things...like providing universal healthcare for citizens.

Like I said, we shouldn't get into this to deeply here (It's my fault for bringing it up), but did you ever consider they want to create all of the problems you mentioned above? Maybe they just want the $600 Billion per annum from selling the opium, and they don't give a # about the consequences.

Someday, people will realize that the Coalition isn't a series of evil empires.

Yeah... When they have killed, or Jailed everyone who thinks, or should I say, knows otherwise.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
A fatal traffic accident leads to rioting, and 8 people killed. Over 100 people injured. Rioters burning a CARE office and beating innocent people.

It's not certain if the dead were a result of police or military fire.

This seems to be the typical response to most everything in that section of the world: riot and burn.

Strange...

So rioting and burning unpopulated buildings and empty cars is "violence", but shooting armless civilians with submachine guns (even if some have stones, it's ludicrous to consider that as being "armed", especially if they trow these stones at fully-armed and armored vehicles and Marines) simply because they protest an injustice is NOT violence, but defending "democracy", "freedom" and order... Wow. Only a murderous psychopath would see things this way, but these days I read this from people who are supposedly ordinary citizens.

Who said, a few decades ago, that under a fascist regime, ordinary people become monsters? Oh yeah, Milgram and Hannah Arendt Hannah Arendt. Looks like History is against you once again, sheeps...

[edit on 29/5/06 by Echtelion]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Ech, look at the following:

today.reuters.com...

Reporters on site. They report the following:

A) Coalition forces DID NOT fire on protesters.

B) Protesters returned fire on Afghan Police.

DE

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   

today.reuters.com...

This is incorrect, it doesn't say that anywhere. Also, the Reuters Journalists on the scene didn't report what you are saying they did, but I don't blame you for not noticing, I didn't untill just now either. It's worded in a very sly manner:

Reuters reporters at the scene saw one man shot dead and several wounded people being taken away.

That is the first mention of what the Reuters journalists at the scene reported. One line underneath it states 'Witnesses report protestors fight with Police', It was not referring to the Reuters reporters.

The spokeswoman, Lieutenant Tamara Lawrence, said she had no information about the subsequent shooting.

"People are very angry," said resident Samad Shah.

Protesters set two police vehicles on fire and damaged a vehicle belonging to an Afghan television station.

Gunfire later erupted between protesters and police, Reuters journalists said.

A man standing next to a Reuters cameraman was shot and killed, the cameraman said.

Scores of protesters blocked a main road running through the capital and there were sporadic exchange of gunfire involving police and protesters, a police official said.

The Reuters reporters state gunfire erupted between protesters and Police later. It's not the same incident.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
(Emphasis mine.)

BBC NEWS

Air strikes

Separately, Afghan officials say fighter planes of the US-led coalition have attacked suspected Taleban fighters in the south of the country.

The deputy governor of Helmand province, Amir Mohammed Akhundzada, said he believed about 50 militants were killed in the attack.

"The Taleban were meeting in a mosque when the bombardment took place," Mr Akhundzada told Reuters news agency.

He said police had yet to reach the site to confirm any figures.

I've been watching the Sky News 24 headlines for most of the night, and while they have had a report about the Riots, and the RTA, they are not mentioning anything at all about the above quote. I've broken my TV Ariel, and the only Channel I can get at the moment with any News on is SKY News 24. Another member here has said he heard mention of this Air strike on CNN, has anyone else heard anything? They are keeping this awfully quiet, if you ask me.

Could something be going on here?

EDIT: Tags.

EDIT: CBS News are reporting it, SKY News just played the CBS Headlines. Wierd how this is not being mentioned on the SKY Headlines in Britain...

[edit on 29-5-2006 by Communication_Monster]

[edit on 29-5-2006 by Communication_Monster]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
www.guardian.co.uk...

Afghans often complain about what they call the aggressive driving tactics of the U.S. military. Convoys often pass through crowded areas at high speed and sometimes disregard road rules. The U.S. military says such tactics are necessary to protect the troops from attack.

``Today's demonstration is because Americans killed innocent people. We will not stop until foreigners leave the city. We are looking for foreigners to kill,'' one protester in his late 20s, Gulam Ghaus, said near where rioters burned a police post.

we should be happy because at least they are trying to keep the troops safe, so what it they go against the afghan "road rules" it they stopped at a traffic light or something its just like asking them to send an rpg through the cab of the humvee or transport trucks etc. or why not just the whole convoy for that matter

[edit on 29-5-2006 by blackhumvee113]

Mod Edit: Quote Tags.

[edit on 29/5/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   

But accounts differed about whether American troops fired into a large crowd that gathered. A spokeswoman, Lieutenant Tamara Lawrence, said US soldiers only fired shots in the air. But a senior Kabul police office, Sher Shah Usafi, said they fired into the crowd, killing one person.

US faces new challenge after riots in Kabul puncture illusion of calm

I'd call this thread inflamatory, but what would that do?

I needed to look up that word:

in·flam·ma·to·ry
Arousing passion or strong emotion, especially anger, belligerence, or desire.

I will agree to starting this thread out of strong emotion and anger.
-But I have no desires to be pleased by this situation.

Vaak

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Does anyone have any more on these Air strikes then?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
US soldier shoots afghan after traffic accident. Riots Erupt in Kabul

Our car fleet manager has issued us with cameras to take photos in event of an accident.
Perhaps this is all a misunderstanding. They had an accident and someone said shoot..they meant the camera...

Come to think of it, I think an automatic rifle would be the better approach in some of the areas I visit (Nottingham)

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   

today.reuters.com...

B) Protesters returned fire on Afghan Police.

DE

Just as Communications_Monster said, I don't know what you're talking about. There's absolutely NO mention that Coalition forces did not open fire (while the article points out that they really did), and it is'nt written anywhere that protesters returned fire. The article says that the riot degenerated in a gun fight... but it is'nt said who had the guns. It also refers to local "residents" and passersby (i.e. ordinary civilians), and not armed war insurgents or militia.

Perhaps you were referring to that "negative" mirror article that you saw in your twisted Bizarro world, where the victims are always the aggressors and the State is a peaceful and freedom-loving entity committed to the happiness of all...

[edit on 30/5/06 by Echtelion]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve99

Originally posted by Vaak
A fatal traffic accident involving a U.S. military truck has sparked anti-american riots in Kabul. Early this morning a convoy crashed in the morning rush, killing at least three and wounding 16. People started throwing stones and this is when the soldiers opened fire and killed another seven and wounding at least 40.

Right now the Afghan protesters gather outside US embassy in Kabul.

washingtonpost.com
euronews.net

Vaak

[edit on 29/5/06 by Vaak]

[edit on 29-5-2006 by steve99]

Thats the right thing to do IMO when you have a choice between being stoned to death or saving yourself.

So, What were the soldiers supposed to do to protect themselves. These people only know violence.

[edit on 9-8-2006 by wildcat]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vaak

Right now the Afghan protesters gather outside US embassy in Kabul.

washingtonpost.com
euronews.net

Vaak

[edit on 29/5/06 by Vaak]

Interesting, all the links besides the euro one have all gotten their info removed.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
might have to do with the fact that this thread is nearly 3 months old.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by arkansasmedic
might have to do with the fact that this thread is nearly 3 months old.

There is also the possiblity that since Reuters Photos have been suspect in the past few days, Reuters pulled all of the photos since some may have been doctored.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join