It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversy With Mars Face Images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Richard Hoagland is one of the leading pioneers in the research of the controversial face on Mars. His theories go so far as to state that people on Earth new about a connection between the two planets thousands of years ago. Recently, an image was released from THEMIS(Thermal Emission Imaging System) that Hoagland believes may have been tampered with before its initial release to the public. The ASU system takes infrared images from the Odyssey and breaks down the complex mathematical code, creating images that can then be viewed by anyone. He asserts that someone on the "inside" is trying to tell him something, while THEMIS vehemently denies any foul play.

www.phoenixnewtimes.com
The heated controversy that has incited the faithful conspiracy congregation -- led by a charismatic "preacher" named Richard Hoagland -- concerns one image that was released in July of this year, and the software manager at THEMIS, Noel Gorelick.

The image in question is the first high-resolution infrared image of a region called Cydonia -- which houses the so-called "Face on Mars." This has been the most hotly contested region of Mars since a 1976 Viking image showed what clearly appeared to be a human face on the planet's surface. But subsequent images from NASA have cast a web of suspicion on the region, the "face," and the other structures surrounding it, inciting almost epic conspiracy theories all over the world.

The reason the infrared, or "IR," images are so important is that they show temperatures, allowing for a more definitive analysis of the origin of structures on Cydonia.

Hoagland claims to have proof that ASU's Gorelick swapped the July 24 Cydonia image for a manipulated one in order to keep people off the scent -- or get them on it. And Hoagland's arguments are not falling on deaf ears.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Cydonia complex is complicated enough as it stands. NASA has continually asserted that photographing the region is not as simple as some may initially believe. Considering this, those that spend their time researching the highly weathered and eroded area require every shred of evidence that they can get their hands on.
Richard Hoagland and a few of his colleagues lead the front lines in this interesting endeavor. He has recieved the Angstrom medal for excellence in science, showing to the world that he is not just some random guy with an mild interest in the topic. If the images they recieve by ASU truly are faulty, what are the rest of us supposed to expect the researchers to find? We need the facts, expect the facts, and after all the taxmoney we pay, I would say that we deserve the facts. I'm sure that many would love to say that Hoagland is just paranoid, but the man's credentials and history just don't suggest that for his character. It all just makes me wonder at what all is being covered up by the government and those in power. What universal questions have already been answered, and yet only a select few are privilaged to that information?

Related News Links:
www.marsnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Latest Mars Rover Image Controversy

[edit on 29-5-2006 by EdenKaia]

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Eden,
This is something about Mars which I have offen wished did get more atechen from the exploration. I am glad I have seen what I have of it, but do feel the is more more out there. Hear is a link to another pic that although not the clearest but is still kina neat.

www.mufor.org...

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by EdenKaia
Richard Hoagland and a few of his colleagues lead the front lines in this interesting endeavor. He has recieved the Angstrom medal for excellence in science, showing to the world that he is not just some random guy with an mild interest in the topic.

Edenkaia,

I know how gung-ho you are on the Mars face, but I feel that still I have to tell you that if you're listening to Hoagland, you're swallowing a bunch of pernicious lies.

Hoagland often makes this statement about his "Angstrom Medal," but a little digging shows that he probably bought it:

The only publicly known recipient of The Angstrom Foundation AB's "Ångström Medal" award is author and lecturer Richard C. Hoagland, author of The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever (see 4th rev. ed. (Berkeley: Frog Ltd., 1996), pp. 414-415). In August 1993, in Washington, D.C., Mr. Lars-Jonas Ångström presented Mr. Hoagland with the Ångström Medal award, also known as the "International Angstrom Medal for Excellence in Science." As far as I know, Mr. Hoagland's Ångström Medal award consisted of a medal and a handshake from Mr. Ångström; no certificate, diploma or monetary prize was associated with it.

The actual medal that Mr. Hoagland received with his Ångström Medal award was an Ångström memorial medal of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and the academy has stated that The Angstrom Foundation AB did not have permission to use the academy's medal for their Ångström Medal award.

The Angstrom Foundation AB's Ångström Medal and Uppsala University's Ångström's Prize are two separate awards both using the same medal, the Ångström memorial medal of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

Source

As you can see, this "medal" is not at all what Hoagland represents it to be.

Additionally, Hoagland often boasts that he was a "colleague" of Dr. Carl Sagan and that he had a hand in the symbolic message that NASA sent out with the Voyager probes. This also turns out not to be the case. For more info on Hoagland, here's a good reference, with links to even more at the end of the article:
The Truth about Richard Hoagland

Harte

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I wanted to bump this thread. I have gotten no response to my comments on Hoagland, though I expected some.

I figure the thread sunk down into oblivion before anyone read my last post, so I'm bumping it back up to try to see if anyone here (other than Edenkaia) considers Hoagland to be credible.

Anyone reading this - what are your thoughts on Hoagland, assuming you went to the link I provided above?

Harte

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Richard Hoagland is not nearly as entertaining as Kent Steadman, who takes full credit for discovering liquid water on the surface of Mars.

Hoagland, Steven Greer, Steadman. I'm not sure what any of these dudes actually accomplish.

As for the "Mars Face," I personally think there are much more interesting areas to study than Cydonia, and the face turned out to be pretty much what everybody thought it was, an interesting arrangement of rocks that looks kind of like a face when the light hits it just right and your imaging resolution is low enough.

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Edenkaia,

I know how gung-ho you are on the Mars face, but I feel that still I have to tell you that if you're listening to Hoagland, you're swallowing a bunch of pernicious lies.

Hoagland often makes this statement about his "Angstrom Medal," but a little digging shows that he probably bought it:

The only publicly known recipient of The Angstrom Foundation AB's "Ångström Medal" award is author and lecturer Richard C. Hoagland, author of The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever (see 4th rev. ed. (Berkeley: Frog Ltd., 1996), pp. 414-415). In August 1993, in Washington, D.C., Mr. Lars-Jonas Ångström presented Mr. Hoagland with the Ångström Medal award, also known as the "International Angstrom Medal for Excellence in Science." As far as I know, Mr. Hoagland's Ångström Medal award consisted of a medal and a handshake from Mr. Ångström; no certificate, diploma or monetary prize was associated with it.

The actual medal that Mr. Hoagland received with his Ångström Medal award was an Ångström memorial medal of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and the academy has stated that The Angstrom Foundation AB did not have permission to use the academy's medal for their Ångström Medal award.

The Angstrom Foundation AB's Ångström Medal and Uppsala University's Ångström's Prize are two separate awards both using the same medal, the Ångström memorial medal of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

Source

As you can see, this "medal" is not at all what Hoagland represents it to be.

Additionally, Hoagland often boasts that he was a "colleague" of Dr. Carl Sagan and that he had a hand in the symbolic message that NASA sent out with the Voyager probes. This also turns out not to be the case. For more info on Hoagland, here's a good reference, with links to even more at the end of the article:
The Truth about Richard Hoagland

Harte

Hehehehhehe there you go. As soon as you mention Hoagland, right away the bright minds of ATS started bashing and throwing dirt on him. Is funny though when you think why and how. It doesn't matter that he is a scientist, it doesn't matter that he's got a prize... who cares! He is not thinking as the orthodox science teaches us. He is comitting a sacrilege by saying something that other scientists can't think of coz is against their molded mind and against and to faraway of their thinking capability. OMG what a sin. One scientist is saying that Mars could have supported life in the past, that Mars could have e connection with Earth... So he cannot be a scientist, he is just a hoaxer, lunatic, hog-washer... Our orthodox science teaches us that we are the only entity in the entire universe, that we are alone in the whole universe, that we are the smartest and the most advanced beign in the whole universe. That we builded piramids by moving thousands of tones of stones by hands and woods for hundred miles, that we, only we (who else) can build walls so perfect that even a thin knife can't penetrate (even though after 3000 years we still are incapable of building such a thing)... Who thinks in a different way (proving or not at this point is irrelevant) is a heretic, can't be a scientist and is just looking for attention... PULLIIIZZZZZZ guys, give me a break... What is this? The modern 20-21 century INQUISITIONAL ? When are you going to realise that are things way more then our science can prove and knows about it. Things that can be wrong as far as our knowledge is concern. Is this denying ignorance? DONT THINK SO

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Telos
He is not thinking as the orthodox science teaches us.

No, he's using old View Master slides from "Tommy's Trip to Mars" in an attempt to "prove" his old, unoriginal sci-fi "theories" about Mars and other ET civilizations. Gee whiz, why didn't those old, dogmatic scientists think of that one!? Hah!

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Sure, in fact he is trying to prove his theories to convince you and to benefit you with his discoveries. Oh c'mon... I won't be surprised if one day I'll read from you "Hoagland at the stake (and of course others like him)... Listen to your self...

Btw, great post EdenKaia. Thnx for bringing this information here

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I fail to see how purchasing a medal makes one a scientist.

Anyone that cares not for the truth, nor their hard-earned money, is welcome to follow Hoagland and his ilk for as long as they wish. But why not just cash in all your holdings and mail the reciepts to Hoagland now? Obviously he's trustworthy, he'll take care of you, he won't see some spaceship hiding behind the next comet come to carry your naive butt to Heaven, will he?

Harte

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
You suppose to be One who cares for the truth?
I bet you didn't even read the link...

p.s. no more responding to this kiddish replika. IS a good thread, to good for this kind of dirt...

[edit on 1-6-2006 by Telos]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Telos
You suppose to be One who cares for the truth?
I bet you didn't even read the link...

Which link? I went to the one provided by Edenkaia about Hoagland. The others were just photos, or so I thought.

Looks like you didn't go to the links that I provided though. Particularly the one about Hoagland's "Angstrom Medal." There's a lot more truth about Hoagland at those links than anywhere else here at ATS.

Harte

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
There's a lot more truth about Hoagland at those links than anywhere else here at ATS.

Harte

There's alot more of someone's truth anyways. And besides bashing this dude to death i thought the OP wanted to find out if the images were being tampered with. That ought to be what the discussion is about but as usual a couple of diehards(tryhards) are trying to derail the topic. Good luck with the thread Edenkaia.

Cheers
M4S

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I was mainly just trying to point out that the Mars images may have been doctored. About Hoagland, well, everyone has their issues.

new topics

top topics

join