It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Face On Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The face on Mars controversy has been spurning the curiosity and imagination of many earthlings since its first image was captured by Viking I more than tweny-five years ago. The question has since always been, "Is it real, or just a coincidental illusion of shadows?" Well, on April 5th, 1998, MGS(Mars Global Surveyor) took another shot at it. This time, the image was ten times larger and much sharper. This mission was believed to be the one to solve the puzzle forever, but instead, it would seem that it is now more controversial than ever.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Face on Mars is located at 41 degrees north Martian latitude where it was winter in April 1998 - a cloudy time of year on the Red Planet. The camera on board MGS had to peer through wispy clouds to see the Face. Perhaps alien markings were hidden by haze.

"It's not easy to target Cydonia," said Dr Garvin. "In fact, it's hard work." MGS is a mapping spacecraft that normally looks straight down and scans the planet like a fax machine in narrow 2.5 km-wide (1.5 mile) strips. "We just don't pass over the Face very often."

...and another look

On 8 April, 2000, a cloudless summer day in Cydonia, MGS took its most recent peek: "We had to roll the spacecraft 25 degrees to centre the Face in the field of view," said Dr Garvin.

Said one observer: "Gee, it doesn't look like a face to me!"

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This has been a topic that has spurned my curiosity as well. Since its discovery, I have wondered about the possible artificiality of the face and its subsequent implications. Are we alone in the universe? If the face is indeed an artificial structure, was it created by some earlier race of advanced beings, or is there perhaps some connection to our own mother Earth and the monuments at Giza?
There have been several studies and extensive research done by Richard Hoagland and David Myers on this very subject. They believe, as I do, that some connection does exist, and they have spent much of their time devoted to the pursuit of this theory. The two of them have created site maps and detailed topography that, when overlayed against the Cydonia complex(the area of Mars containing the face) and places of interesting ancient monuments on earth, Stonehenge, etc, they seem to produce an eerie match.
Perhaps one day science will allow us to land on Mars and explore the Cydonia complex in greater detail. Until then, it is unfortunate the face will undoubtedly be shrouded in speculation and mystery. I hope to still be around when the answers do come to light.

Related News Links:
www.physicspost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Bible, Pyramids, and the Face on Mars
Face an Pyramids on Mars

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Thank you for this submission. You might want to check my thread "Confessions of a NASA Airbrusher"
I dont know why this story has no activity but i'm here to bring it back to life.

It Lives!!!

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Interesting submission.

One recent theory I've read is that the "face" photos have been purposefully released "upsidedown" to give more ambiguity to the image. The "eyes" in the image of the face become the gap between the head and shoulders on either side of the neck when viewed "correctly".

If viewed "correctly", it shows a bust of something similar to a "Grey" (with the left side of the face "destroyed" by something).

Here's a pic of the supposed "correct" view.

img529.imageshack.us...

[edit on 5/29/06 by redmage]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The Lion Roars His Phoenix Soars StarMans Home

ESA Cydonia Mars Image

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Take any photo of the face and "mirror" one side onto the other with a graphics program....and you find intersting features. I discovered this over a year ago and was bashed on this board for being a loon.

[edit on 4-8-2008 by bismarcksea]

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Nice photo play,
I can see the point you are making. At the end of the day, I don't think I could ever trust what NASA say. They have lied on numerous occasions and alter nearly ever image we see.
I like the fact that they call everybody loony tunes when they say there is relevancy or a resemblance to a face. Maybe the new pics have been altered to cover up a previous f*!K up! That story is more realistic given their history.

Thanks for sharing

Peace

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

Your no loon bismarksea!! That's some interesting work on those images. I def. see what you are trying to get at there.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
EDIT: Wait, this topic is really, REALLY old, which is something I did not catch, and the rules were probably different back then. Ignore this post.

[edit on 8/4/2008 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Sorry, The Image Was Cropped When I Posted. It's Not A Mirror Of The Face , But Was ESA Image Of Cydonia Mars As A Whole.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The Face on Mars was the photo that sparked my curiosity into
space.. science.. NASA.. and eventually ATS and my Distrust for all
the above..

Awesome work...

lets say (for arguments sake) the first pics were un-altered..

doesnt it look like the second pics were subjected to an above ground blast..

not a HUGE one.. because the second 'face pics' had to have SOMETHING
that resembled the first face..

anybody else with me on this?

lol, I remember an old episode of 'unsolved mysteries' that were showing
close ups of it and I remember them claiming to see teeth..

[edit on 8/5/2008 by KATSUO]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by KATSUO
The Face on Mars was the photo that sparked my curiosity into
space.. science.. NASA.. and eventually ATS and my Distrust for all
the above..

Awesome work...

lets say (for arguments sake) the first pics were un-altered..

doesnt it look like the second pics were subjected to an above ground blast..

not a HUGE one.. because the second 'face pics' had to have SOMETHING
that resembled the first face..

anybody else with me on this?

lol, I remember an old episode of 'unsolved mysteries' that were showing
close ups of it and I remember them claiming to see teeth..

[edit on 8/5/2008 by KATSUO]

Yes, an aerial blast is what I have suspected ever since they returned with the second image of the face on mars. Such a feat is completely within the abilities of the military space program (I suspect).

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Its My Own Imaging Technique
Grayscale Then Changed Washed Out Data Shade To Show What's Under The Surface I Add Nothing

KJV) "How art thou fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer, son of the morning!
how art thou cut down to the ground,
which didst weaken the nations!"

"O shining star, son of morning,
how you have fallen from the heavens...
For you said in your heart,
I will go up to the heavens;
I will raise my throne above the stars of God,
and I will sit in the mount of meeting
in the Sides Of The North...
I will be compared to the most high.
"

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Maybe I don't have a good imagination or maybe it is because I am going blind, i just have never been able to see this so called "FACE" on Mars.

Could somebody help me out hear draw on the picture where the heck this "FACE" is supposed to be?

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
My House

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join