It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the video game craze a desensastizes tool by the Gov.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
i am 15 i been playing [video] games since i was 5... (mostly very violent games i started with doom and went on from there...) i've been thinking at the level of violence (Not that it makes you more violent just that desensatizes you) and i was thinking that wouldnt it be great if the millatary had a new breed of young soldier imune to the horrors of war!!! (not literaly). liberals if congress would seem to agree with me. what do you guys think?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Honestly it does make me wonder why the U.S. gov came out with a game called Americas Army. This game BTW was also free to buy and free to play online the army in fact was willing to ship it to you with out shipping and handeling. Really makes you wonder what theyre up to with somthing like that.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea.

While video games are wonderful outlets for aggression and good for honing those hand/eye coordination skills, they are not really accurate in recreating the wartime scenario to it's fullest extent.

It's one thing to play a game, get killed and jump right back up - and quite another to lose a friend in close combat. We've still got soldiers coming home from the war with some psychological issues about what they were called upon to perform in the call of duty.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if online gaming replaced WAR ITSELF?

THAT would SERIOUSLY ROCK !!!

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I started playing Doom when it first came out, and played just about every violent game I could get my hands on. I never turned into a psycho killer, or was desensetized to violence, and neither were any of my friends. It's up to the parents to take responsibility and actually RAISE their children.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
You can't be desensetized to actualy seeing someones brains blown out right next to you in a warzone or on the street.
No matter if you've played the best and most realistic games for ages.

Games, untill they are able to stimulate all 5 sences and remove the knowledge from your mind that what you see is a game will never be able to emulate or desensitize you from something that happens for real.

Seeing and hearing aren't even half of the normal sensory inputs we use to experience real life.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
thematrix -

Agreed.

When I was younger I used to have flights of fancy about a wealth of issues and experiences - then I actually experienced them and found out there's a lot more to it with direct involvement.

Nothing you can read, or practice online or in gaming scenarios can really prepare you for the fact of certain realities.

Maybe one day, if we wake up and find that what we thought was "real life" was just an elaborate training session for the real thing...but maybe we shouldn't go there just yet.

new topics

top topics

join