It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 60 children reportedly held at Guantanamo Bay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
www.radionz.co.nz...

I'm almost hoping this is a hoax. Mods, please remove if its been posted before-I havent seen it. Thanks!

It goes like this....

More than 60 minors, some as young as 14, have been held as prisoners at the US detention facility for suspected terrorists at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, a London-based human rights group has said in a report.

Those detainees were under 18 when they were captured by US forces, and at least 10 of them still being held at Guantanamo were 14 or 15 when they were seized, held in solitary confinement, subject to repeated interrogation and allegedly tortured, the charity Reprieve was reported as saying.

Britain's Independent on Sunday, which carried the allegations, suggested the charges could threaten the United States' relationship with its closest ally in the "war on terror", Britain.

"We would take a very, very dim view if it transpires that there were actually minors there," it quoted a British government official as saying.

This is the sickest thing i've seen so far...... What are these people thinking?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I just wanted to post this Story - well here is my source:

Independant

The notorious US detention camp in Guantanamo Bay has been hit by fresh allegations of human rights abuses, with claims that dozens of children were sent there - some as young as 14 years old.

They include at least 10 detainees still held at the US base in Cuba who were 14 or 15 when they were seized - including child soldiers who were held in solitary confinement, repeatedly interrogated and allegedly tortured.

One child prisoner, Mohamed el Gharani, is accused of involvement in a 1998 al-Qa'ida plot in London led by the alleged al-Qa'ida leader in Europe, Abu Qatada. But he was 12 years old at the time and living with his parents in Saudi Arabia.

"There is nothing wrong with trying minors for crimes, if they have committed crimes. The problem is when you either hold minors without trial in shocking conditions, or try them before a military commission that, in the words of a prosecutor who refused to take part, is rigged," he said. "Even if these kids were involved in fighting - and Omar is the only one who the military pretends was - then there is a UN convention against the use of child soldiers. There is a general recognition in the civilised world that children should be treated differently from adults."

Apparently there is NO difference between Child or Adult "Terrorists".

Well, ofcourse the DoD has a Great statement to further defend their position in this:

"There is no international standard concerning the age of an individual who engages in combat operations... Age is not a determining factor in detention. [of those] engaged in armed conflict against our forces or in support to those fighting against us."

There you go - Problem solved.

It's as simple as that.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Source
More than 60 minors, some as young as 14, have been held as prisoners at the US detention facility for suspected terrorists at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, a London-based human rights group has said in a report.

This is the sickest thing i've seen so far...... What are these people thinking?

Don't believe it its all a lie. Last year lawyers claimed there were 6 now its 60, give me a break.

Lawyers representing detainees at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, say that there still may be as many as six prisoners who were captured before their 18th birthday and that the military has sought to conceal the precise number of juveniles at the prison camp.
Source

And that was last year
Those actvists carry about the same weight as some others around here :shk:

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Apparently there is NO difference between Child or Adult "Terrorists".

There's indeed no difference between a Child or an Adult terrorist. Both have the intention to kill us ''Westerns''. However, I feel human rights are there to be protected, Guatanamo definitely doesn't contribute to that.

Europe has strongly suggested several times to close that base. We neither want our soldiers - no matter what's your opinion on the prisoner's ideology - to be tortured, and any other commitment in violence with human rights.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Last year they thought 6 still there, now they think 10 or more.

Which number is acceptable to you shots?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Search confirms this is the very same individual that made the claim of six last year.

The lawyer, Clive A. Stafford Smith, of London, said in an interview that the prisoner, who is now 18 and is identified by the initials M.C. in public documents, told him in a recent interview at Guantánamo that he was seized by local authorities in Pakistan about Oct. 21, 2001, a few months shy of his 15th birthday, and taken to Guantánamo at the beginning of 2002.
Source

Obviously this liar cannot remember what he said last year

Typical activist

[edit on 5/28/2006 by shots]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Last year they thought 6 still there, now they think 10 or more.

Say what???? Read it again; they are claiming it could be 60.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Perhaps this has something to do with it?

Originally posted by shots
...the military has sought to conceal the precise number of juveniles at the prison camp.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
No, they're claiming 10 or more still there.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

No, they're claiming 10 or more still there.

You are reading Souljahs post not the orignal as posted by TG

From the orignal "More than 60 minors, some as young as 14," Blah Blah

edit I stand corrected I reread the orignal and you are right it does say 10 now.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
From the original link. And you still didn't say what number you think is ok?

Those detainees were under 18 when they were captured by US forces, and at least 10 of them still being held at Guantanamo were 14 or 15 when they were seized, held in solitary confinement, subject to repeated interrogation and allegedly tortured, the charity Reprieve was reported as saying.
www.radionz.co.nz...

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
To be fair, kids are held in secure units all over the world so the notion of detaining juveniles shouldn't be too suprising really. I would like to know what the evidence is mind...though I would say that about all Guantanamo detainees...but that's another thread I guess.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   

And you still didn't say what number you think is ok?

Frankly knowing that the one who made the claim last year lied, I highly doubt the age claim is true. As for what number would be OK I would say any number where they were caught shooting should be held. their bullets can kill just as many as those over 18.

Also since when is there an age limit for POW camps? I have never heard of one. Germany recruited thousands to fight in WWII, as did VietNam and Japan where were those minors that were captured held?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
i recently watched on tv they were saying all of the prisoners at this bay have nothing to do with al quida and half of them never even heard of alquida. made me sick to my stomach.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by worksoftplayhard
i recently watched on tv they were saying all of the prisoners at this bay have nothing to do with al quida and half of them never even heard of alquida. made me sick to my stomach.

You're right and it is not acceptable to hold any number of juveniles in this way.
Al quaida is a fabrication and that's why they've rounded up famers and other innocents. It's pathetic and makes me really angry how US citizens try to defend their gorvenrments actions "land of the free" lol home of the slave more like. They're holding them in Cuba for god's sake, go figure.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by Xeros]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Don't believe it its all a lie. Last year lawyers claimed there were 6 now its 60, give me a break.

Lets check the Dates of this News reports, shall we?

This One:
Posted at 1:26pm on 28 May 2006

And that was last year
Those actvists carry about the same weight as some others around here :shk:

Your "Argument":
Monday, June 13, 2005

So - do you think they got some NEW "News" coming out of Gitmos in this time?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Just Anti-War Drivel!

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Your "Argument":
Monday, June 13, 2005

So - do you think they got some NEW "News" coming out of Gitmos in this time?

No new news, they just made up some new lies is all.

My point in posting that shows that he lied last year and one can only assume that point went right over your head as usual. Also allow me to point out there have been no new arrivals since September 2004.

Source

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Ok shots so what evidence do you have that these reports are lies? Please give us something like a link, because so far it’s the stories which are well backed up.
If, you think inconsistency in number reporting at a place very secretive about what they do or who they hold; is a good reason to dismiss reports as lies then I for one would consider you a true patriot.
Because Americans shouldn’t be worried that their soldiers putting children in solitary confinement. Terrorists are more likely to provide crucial information that could perhaps maybe save lives if they know that the American State does this to their children.

Also I think it is a disgrace that such information is being leaked from Guantanamo Bay. After all what about if the terrorist learn how ruthless the American State is? It could help recruit people for another 9/11.

In my opinion ANYTHING is justified against terrorism. It could be doing life long psychological damage to children by keeping them in solidarity confinement, or even torturing and videoing it (providing any such videos never leaked). Because judging by how many other people we have killed in the War on terrorism so far one American is worth so such more than any other person.
And that's true because Americans care about the environment, are Christian, speak English and of course contribute to their own economy as well as greatest military on earth.
We must not be scared of what we do to other human beings, so long as we can be sure that at least some of them are The Enemy. There is no crime to far, no precedent I would not wish to set; to safeguard the Westernised parts of the world. I would do anything. And anybody who disagrees with me would be well to ask how patriotic they really are.

Ok That was my split personality just speaking. But you get the point’s don't you?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

Ok shots so what evidence do you have that these reports are lies?

I already gave the link were he stated one figure last year in 2005. I then gave another link from last year confirming the individual was one and the same as used in the current source article here. I then furnished a link confirming no new arrivals at GITMO since 2004.

Frankly I do not know how more proof you need based on what I have furnished already.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I can't read the bit that says "no new inmates have arrived at Guantanamo Bay since 2004." If there is one, and if it's right then you are right, and i'm sorry for thinking otherwise.

Aside from that the other link you gave saying 60 children was dated 28th May 2006. The link that says 6 children is dated 13th June 2005.
What that means (is that according to the sources) the number of under 18's has risen by 54 in just over 11 months (might make sence given all the recent trouble in Iraq, and that Iraqi kids throwing grenades vidio someone posted on here).

It does not mean that what is being said is a lie. It is not proof that what is being said is a lie. And without it being true that no one has arrived at Guantanamo Bay since 2004 it would appear that there is no proof that this "lawyer" is lying.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join