It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*** ATTENTION all Cat owners ***

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Do not buy or use Hartz Advanced Care Flea & Tick drops on your cat!!!

I brought two dalmation puppies home yesterday and was afraid that they may have fleas so I bought drops for both of my cats and my new dogs.

My wife woke me up this morning frantic. She said that something was wrong with Kiela, (Our bigggest cat). I went in to find her having siezures, convulsions, and uncontrollable shaking. My wife immediately called the vet.

Come to find out all of this was caused by the drops. I decided to look on the internet and was SHOCKED to find that there are THOUSANDS of complaints against this product.

We have now given her multiple baths and are patiently waiting to see if she is going to be ok...

She still has the shakes but luckily (at least for now) she has stopped having the siezures and convulsions.

I just wanted to warn you all so that the same thing doesn't happen to your cats.

Again it was HARTZ Advanced Care Flea & Tick drops. The active ingredient is phenothrin.

I am so
Pissed that this poison is on the market right now!!!

I'll keep you informed about my cats updates.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the warning. I too have a couple of cats and use hartz products regularly. Glad I have not tried that particular product. Hope your cat pulls through.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
K_OS, sorry to hear that. This is really a shame because it was at least over a decade ago that I would hear many times a relative of mine warn us and others not to use Hartz products for various reasons. Its a shame something like this hasnt been resolved after so long and so many consumer complaints.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:16 AM
link   
We just take our kitty to the vets to get professionally treated as all those stupid home bottle things dont work, btw if your trying to control the spread use a fine gents hair comb to pull them off and then wash em down the drain with a hose.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:17 AM
link   
god thats really bad ...i have a few cats and this must of been awfull ill be sure to tell all i know...

I hope your cat recovers quickly

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Wow! Early problems with this were reported in 2001. I'm surprised... troubled that it's still going on! There is or was a class action lawsuit on this.

Thanks for the warning -- Ah loves mah moggies!

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Byrd]

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Not only do some animals have problems with them...but they also don't work worth a damn... Advantage is the best...
Frontline is close...

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
My family have cats and always have had. Haven't heard of this brand though, is it US?

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I use Advantage on my doggies. Fortunately, my cats haven't had any recent flea problems. Thanks for the heads up, K_OS! I sure hope your cat gets to feeling better.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   
thanks for the warning! we usually use Advantage on our cats, but we kind of gave up because they'd lick it off each other and throw up. (they're plotting against us!
) I'll make sure and avoid the heck out of this product!

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS

I brought two dalmation puppies home yesterday and was afraid that they may have fleas so I bought drops for both of my cats and my new dogs.

My wife woke me up this morning frantic. She said that something was wrong with Kiela, (Our bigggest cat). I went in to find her having siezures, convulsions, and uncontrollable shaking. My wife immediately called the vet.

Come to find out all of this was caused by the drops. I decided to look on the internet and was SHOCKED to find that there are THOUSANDS of complaints against this product.

We have now given her multiple baths and are patiently waiting to see if she is going to be ok...

She still has the shakes but luckily (at least for now) she has stopped having the siezures and convulsions.

I just wanted to warn you all so that the same thing doesn't happen to your cats.

Again it was HARTZ Advanced Care Flea & Tick drops. The active ingredient is phenothrin.

I am so
Pissed that this poison is on the market right now!!!

I'll keep you informed about my cats updates.

TANKS

for the warning..

here is a link or so of recalled items that you should also be aware of..

www.nhtsa.dot.gov...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Update... Kiela is no longer shaking and now has both eyes open... It looks like she upward bound. Thanks for the feed back and advice everyone... From now on I will be sure to discuss ANY medicines with the vet first.

My cats have always been in the house and had never even seen a flea that is why stupid me goes out and buys the first thing I see. I will not make that mistake again.

Yes HARTZ is an American company... maybe available to some exports but I am not sure.

But anyone thinking of using this product be forewarned of the dangers that it has... It seems I may have gotten lucky and she will keep improving but after reading up on the product, it seems that it has been FATAL to many cats.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Thats good K_OS, hope she makes a speedy recovery and i wont be using Hartz at all, we used Frontline once but it sucked and did nothing...stupid medical companies.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I'm glad your cat is better.
A word of advice would definately be to never ever put anything on your pet that is not chosen from a vet doctor!! Most of the stuff on the market is very toxic, even to us and especially children.

Next time send me a u2u K_OS. I used to be a vet tech and have many books/papers on certain things to do or not to do or to give or not to give to our loved ones, not to mention the effects I've seen of some things on different animals people have brought in-to the vet. You are very lucky your cat is alive!!

Now say a little kitty prayer if you haven't already

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the warning!

With my kittys massive flea problem this is good to know, so I dont actually poison them instead of the fleas!

And Im glad your kitty has pulled through! Give the kitty a kiss for me!

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
WOW! Thank you for posting this.

top topics

join