It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Rail Filed Patent for Flying Saucer in the early 1970's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
In the early 70's British Rail submitted a patent for a nuclear-powered flying saucer. While the sources listed state that this type of propulsion still has not been invented the story does show British Rail's interest in pursuing space travel as a means of business as far back as the 70's.

www.foxnews.com
LONDON — Ladies and gentlemen, because of signaling problems in the Venus area, and the wrong kind of asteroid on the line at Jupiter, the 11:27 for Uranus is running approximately 3½ light-years behind.

Back in the distant days of nationalized railways, when they should have been concentrating on congestion at Crewe and uncurling their on-board sandwiches, the members of the British Railways Board were busy filing a patent for a spaceship.

Deep in the archives of the European Patent Office, researchers have found evidence that in the early 1970s railway chiefs envisaged an era beyond slam doors and tilting trains — they registered a design for a nuclear-powered flying saucer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While sources within the article write this off as just "fanciful" immagination I suspect there might be more to it than meets the eye.

The implications of a nuclear-based flying saucer on military and space-based applications are endless.

Even if British Rail was allowed to develop these concepts why would the Governments of the UK and the US allow for a private company to proceed down this road if their respective militaries and space programs had nothing that could possibly match the flying/speed characteristics of such a craft?

[edit on 27-5-2006 by Low Orbit]

[edit on 4-6-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
this story does not surprise me at all. It would be extremely rational to combine a nuclear engine with an aircraft for Military reasons. This is true because they already have nukes powering submarines and some interstellar probes.

It would also make sense why the US government would not want its citizens to know that we have a "black" nuclear-powered aircraft overhead. Does anyone else find this story interesting?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Would someone else, please, add their two cents to this news article!?

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I don't see what there is to add honestly. The article sais it all.

And begging for responses to your post always turns me off

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Im not trying to pick you up buddy.(but thank you for responding)

What I was trying to ask is did anyone see something like this coming? Could this story be the beginning of disclosure for a US Military Flying Saucer?

Could Nuclear Powered Flying Saucer's be the next gen dog fighters/bombers for the US government?

top topics

join