It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

vitamins

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsl4doc

Are you really in Italy? because they don't speak english there.You don't sound like it.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by Hawaii_boy]

Are you kidding me? EVERY country in Western Europe requires students to take English language classes from primary school until high school graduation. I'm a doctor now, I took English in college, so I've had about 21 years of English classes. Nice to see you're aware of the international community at large...
Well I have a friend that is half Italian he visits Italy but he never said that everything tasted better there so Italy might be one of those countries that are using modified food to feed the nation.causeing obisity.and bad health that's why i felt better there.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawaii_boy

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Most stores in the US use wax on their produce so it stores longer. Try using soap and water on them and scrub it off.
You don't travel a lot so this post is to people that go to many many other palces Nations and countries ,

And I said everything tastes better.We need people that travel very very far.

Hawaii Boy, I think this thread should be open to anyone who has travelled anywhere, even once. It only takes one experience to be discover something about a place. You need to stop being so rude. Also, I've shared my experiences and you've basically said I'm lieing because you tasted fruit from a friends tree once. Soo...if you don't want anyone else's opinions, why are you even posting? Just to get points?

MFP

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Are you really in Italy? because they don't speak english there.You don't sound like it.

Are you kidding me? EVERY country in Western Europe requires students to take English language classes from primary school until high school graduation. I'm a doctor now, I took English in college, so I've had about 21 years of English classes. Nice to see you're aware of the international community at large...
Well I have a friend that is half Italian he visits Italy but he never said that everything tasted better there so Italy might be one of those countries that are using modified food to feed the nation.

Well, I think the food in Italy tastes better than the food in USA, so I guess we have to agree to disagree, huh?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well I know that organic foods are becoming a popular trend, and supermarkets are beginning to realize this

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Most stores in the US use wax on their produce so it stores longer. Try using soap and water on them and scrub it off.
You don't travel a lot so this post is to people that go to many many other palces Nations and countries ,

And I said everything tastes better.We need people that travel very very far.

Hawaii Boy, I think this thread should be open to anyone who has travelled anywhere, even once. It only takes one experience to be discover something about a place. You need to stop being so rude. Also, I've shared my experiences and you've basically said I'm lieing because you tasted fruit from a friends tree once. Soo...if you don't want anyone else's opinions, why are you even posting? Just to get points?

MFP
Forget I said that.I respect you.
I never downsize anyone.
It's just what I exerienced and know.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Forget I said that.I respect you.
I never downsize anyone.
It's just what I exerienced and know.

I understand that's what you experienced, but take into account that you tasted from one tree. Some of us, including myself, have visited other nations continuously throughout our lives and have had different experiences. I'm not saying one is more right than the other, just suggesting that there are obviously more experiences than yours or mine.

MFP

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yes,the food is very different in other countries.There is a great deal more flavor in some things,fruits especially,even in countries like Pakistan(where you'd expect things to be dry,for instance).Some things here in the States are kind of "washed out",with little more taste than cardboard.I remember being told that plants are denied hormones (or given extra?)to make them seedless.
That sounds bizarre but it's one of many things done to plants.
I also read somewhere that the natural iron once abundant in things like grapes(and wine)and raisins is now non-existent because of overuse of the soil.
And here's something to think about
ne year when there was a Brucellosis outbreak among cattle in Texas(which causes spontaneous abortion),a few months later 15 of my friends and neighbors had miscarriages.
I do not believe in coincidence.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
And I suppose that you know every trip I've ever taken huh?
I suppose that a MINIMUM of twice a year, four to 7 weeks total to the Philippines isn't a lot huh? And I can tell you that the food there doesn't taste "so much better" than food in the US. It tastes exactly the same.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mama Cat
Yes,the food is very different in other countries.There is a great deal more flavor in some things,fruits especially,even in countries like Pakistan(where you'd expect things to be dry,for instance).Some things here in the States are kind of "washed out",with little more taste than cardboard.I remember being told that plants are denied hormones (or given extra?)to make them seedless.
That sounds bizarre but it's one of many things done to plants.
I also read somewhere that the natural iron once abundant in things like grapes(and wine)and raisins is now non-existent because of overuse of the soil.
And here's something to think about: one year when there was a Brucellosis outbreak among cattle in Texas(which causes spontaneous abortion),a few months later 15 of my friends and neighbors had miscarriages.
I do not believe in coincidence

Brucella abortus has not been shown to cause spontaneous abortion in humans any more than common E. coli or staphylococcus does.

MFP

[edit on 5/28/2006 by bsl4doc]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I believe one big factor in how food tastes is when it is picked. I believe much of the supermarket food here in the US is picked early and doesn't taste nearly as good as a result. I believe tomatoes, apples, etc. are picked green so that they will be ripe and not overripe when they finally get delivered to the local grocery store. I know home grown tomatoes taste a lot better than any store bought tomato. Letting food ripen on the vine makes a big difference in taste and possibly texture in my opinion. Perhaps some foreign countries don't pick their fruits as early and the taste is like the homegrown taste I enjoy.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It is a huge overgeneralization to say that most foods taste better in other countries but it is clear that the mass production of fruits, vegetables etc has contributed to some loss of flavor. If you have never eaten those small wild strawberries that I used to find when I was a kid and compared the taste to the fist size ones grown on large farms, you have no idea how great the difference can be.
Another example, years ago one ketchup company developed a ketchup with real tomato taste but it flopped until they put back in the burned flavor that people had gotten used to in a typical product. And why is there a movement to save the wild turkey breeds that almost disappeared when growers needed to standardize a few industrialized breeds? Because they have a more robust flavor.
There is no need to bash America because of this, without the large scale operations our choice of product all year round would be more limited, prices would be higher etc. As others already pointed out, the size of the country requires some compromises. Those who complain should vote with their pocket books and buy the more expensive produce, meats etc and preserve some of the threatened species from extinction.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by blackbayou]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackbayou
It is a huge overgeneralization to say that most foods taste better in other countries but it is clear that the mass production of fruits, vegetables etc has contributed to some loss of flavor. If you have never eaten those small wild strawberries that I used to find when I was a kid and compared the taste to the fist size ones grown on large farms, you have no idea how great the difference can be.
Another example, years ago one ketchup company developed a ketchup with real tomato taste but it flopped until they put back in the burned flavor that people had gotten used to in a typical product. And why is there a movement to save the wild turkey breeds that almost disappeared when growers needed to standardize a few industrialized breeds? Because they have a more robust flavor.
There is no need to bash America because of this, without the large scale operations our choice of product all year round would be more limited, prices would be higher etc. As others already pointed out, the size of the country requires some compromises. Those who complain should vote with their pocket books and buy the more expensive produce, meats etc and preserve some of the threatened species from extinction.

What do you know.we need people that went to many far away countries they know.have you traveled a lot to many nations countries?

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
12 countries, lived in 3 so what do i know! everything tastes better elsewhere

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackbayou
12 countries, lived in 3 so what do i know! everything tastes better elsewhere
Alright then that is what my topic is talking about.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
We have a winner! OriontheHunter has hit the nail square on the head.

The problem is BIG AGRI. They are bad people just like BIG PHARMA. (Hello Bsl4doc!
). They absolutely do not care about the nutritional quality of the food they are delivering to the end consumer...

What they care about is... Money, of course.

Contrary to what some of you might think about produce being mostly produced by small farmers, then rolled up thru various transport layers, then delivered to your grocery store...

It's just a few companies that control the entire process.

They pick early based on minimizing waste thru spoilage/transport attrition, following carefully laid out projection/planning curves for each type of produce, sometimes ship in temperature controlled vechicles, typically store the produce at central fully-automated & temp controlled monstrous warehouses, from which it's spoon feed out to the distribution networks, which your grocery chain, depending on who/where they are, is a subscriber, at some level.

If that wasn't bad enough...

Americas are typically notorious for their lack of taste... make that palette.

So they are simply not that discerning in the trenchs at the supermarket. Which tends to minimize the pressure consumers could put on the industry for the sad quality of what they serve up and could do the most good.

The select fruit/produce never really enters the distribution network for the locals, it instead usually goes to foreign countries/premium prices markets.

Thru programs that have impacted the entire process for years and years, the growers are choosing to/being manipulate/gladly embrace due to greater profits produce that... you guessed it!

Gives higher yields. Higher yields (and disease control and yada yada yada) trumps better taste/nutritional value.

The farmers/producers know they're typically delivering crap on a palette... They've resorted to the last ditch effort of scoundrels. They are injecting/spraying the produce to fake/force certain colors, using packaging that makes the produce look more like what quality produce is supposed to look like...

Do I really need to go on Hawaii_Boy?

So the answer, is your impressions about the taste (and therefore the nutritional values) of your produce are 100% accurate. Is it any wonder that food produced outside of this type network makes you feel better.

All is not lost Hawaii_Boy.

As in all things... Networking is the answer. Nose around. Ask questions.

Do you really think a chef of any repute is going to use that 'stuff' for his meals?

There's always local markets, non-coopted produce networks, etc...

Not all supermarkets are created equally.

Real produce managers/buyers REALLY like to talk about their trade.

And you are in Hawaii brother...

You are sitting on the mother lode!

[edit on 28-5-2006 by golemina]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hawaii-Boy, you are really acting like a "Topic Nazi." You need to chill out and stop making such outrageous and rude demands of those participating in this thread.

Let the conversation go where it will. If you don't like where it's going, then do your best to get it back on track. But being rude and making rules about who can post in this thread and who can't is ignorant, especially the way you've been putting it.

As long as people are talking about produce and the taste/nutritional value, then who cares what stamps are on their passports? And before you chew my head off, YES I have traveled overseas. But if I want to talk about pesticides and their effects on food here in the USA, then I will and so will others. And if you have a problem with that, then maybe you should start your OWN website where you can invite whoever you want and kick out whoever you choose. You can be the Topic Nazi over there.

I'm kicking myself in the butt for even posting this as I cringe at the idea of giving someone like you points!

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Meh, if you don't like the fruit and veggies in your supermarkets, don't buy them. Eventually, companies will raise prices a bit to match organic markets but also produce better foods. Supply and demand is wacky that way.

MFP

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I don't see how the food produced can ever be better when Quality went out the window a long,long time ago in favor of Quantity.Boycott your local supermarket if you will,it won't matter one iota as they prefer to throw food away rather than lower prices.How many of you have seen the loaded carts of produce and bakery goods being culled for the trash receptacle?
And the government is still paying farmers not to grow so as to keep the "market" on an even keel.
Everyone is screaming about illegal immigrants but honestly,how many Americans do you all know who work in the fields? Two out of a few thousand I bet.
Too many people in the world,so mass production and fast delivery with a long shelf life are all 'must-haves'.Something's gonna suffer for it.
And as for the Brucellosis thing,all virii mutate once inside differing hosts.
I really doubt that expectant mothers have been exposed to Brucella in order to see what will happen to them! Too many variables to say that it is impossible. I certainly wouldn't chance it.
Do they still coat fruits with paraffin wax? I remember as a kid it made the apples just like the artificial ones on our table.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   
There is another reason why food doesn't taste as nice. The varietys in places like spain aremore varied. Supermarkets usually stick to the varietys that we are used to, big dark red tomatoes for example. Along with all the hormones and chemicals that are pumped into them, this makes a big difference.

posted on May, 29 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I just don't see how politically motivated lines on maps affect nutritional value, sorry, certain economic practices result in megatons of junkfood being fed to the unsuspecting populace, that much is true, the main reason it stays this way is the complacency of the majority.

If you're aware of such issues, you're a NUT (welcome to the club
) and finding decent stuff can be a chore if not outright impossible, but i've heard that mobility in Northern America is very high, so there's still the option of moving out, as long as you're not economically bound, that is

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join