It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geologists drilling 9-mile hole hear sounds from hell

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   
thats an excellent point you've made, is the whole thing a hoax??

lets try and find out

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
also didn't it mention video clips??? we must try and find these so we can found out

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It was actually the sounds of ants under my huge magnifying glass.

didn't mean to scare everyone...

sheesh.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
i guarantee it's fake. easily done. the ambience of an eight foot tube would be very different(more 'flanging' would be apparent. i don't hear any tunnel-like characteristics to this sound), as would the ambience of a huge underground cavern, assuming the mike was past the tunnel mouth. a microphone suspended at the top of said cavern would not 'hear' some screamers as quite close and some as quite far. it would be more like a sports event, where the whole crowd would sound more as one.
i could do a way better fake, although, i too, was pretty freaked the first time i heard it on art ball. the power of suggestion, yeah?
they really did drill a deep hole, though. one of those tabloids did an article that included a bat-winged apparition leaping out and issuing apocalyptic warnings before flying off into the night.

and, lastly, why would they bring a microphone to a deep drilling operation? did they have an eight mile long mike cable? imagine the weight of it? it would break itself without the support of a REALLY strong steel cable.

[Edited on 4-11-2003 by billybob]

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 03:07 AM
link   
why do they act suprised when they found out it was hot inside the earth...i thought we all learned that the core was liquid rock...aka lava ..hot

Another surprise was the extreme heat detected in the depths of the earth.
"Our calculations indicate temperatures of 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit," notes Dr. Azzakov. "This is 10 times higher than we expected. It almost seems as if a fiery inferno is raging within the earth's core."

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by sirCyco]

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 03:36 AM
link   
hmmmm im still not freaked out by these noises maybe im heartless.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I've heard about Gov't Underground Camps in various parts of the US and Alaska, maybe thats where a lot of missing people end up either that or, there's a lot of dead people laffing at us right now BOO!

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Does anyone think that hell is just something fake created by Christians to scare people into being good? The Bible was censored in 600 A.D., so they could've put things in there as well as took things out.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Billybob -
You seem to know your acoustics - however you missed a point - whats the signal drop off on an 8 mile long mike cable ?. Must have been a pretty thick cable and the mike putting out some significant power. Most rock bands have trouble with 100' cable and resort to radio on large stages.

(Yes I know its a fake - just interesting to nitpick the knowledge of people who write this stuff)

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by VanishingPoint
Does anyone think that hell is just something fake created by Christians to scare people into being good? The Bible was censored in 600 A.D., so they could've put things in there as well as took things out.

VanishingPoint, rest assured, Hell is a Myth 100% Guaranteed! As another user here said, it was created by the Zoroastrian Religion and has been used to 'control' the people ever since. I've done much study on this particular subject for the past few yrs and have no doubts in my mind.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Hmm maybe they should use Holy Water to cool down the bit..

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 12:22 AM
link   
my ambiant music interrupted for that fake hell ?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Legend: Scientists drilling in Siberia went too far and ended up punching a hole through to Hell, where the screams of the damned drifted up to them.

Example: [Brunvand, 1993]

Geologists working somewhere in remote Siberia had drilled a hole some 14.4 kilometers deep (about 9 miles) when the drill bit suddenly began to rotate wildly. A Mr. Azzacov (identified as the project's manager) was quoted as saying they decided that the center of the earth was hollow.
Supposedly, the geologists measured temperatures of over 2,000 degrees in the deep hole. They lowered super sensitive microphones to the bottom of the well, and to their astonishment they heard the sounds of thousands, perhaps millions, of suffering souls screaming.

Origins: This
legend is quite popular among Christian groups as it "proves" Hell (and therefore God) exists. Popular endings to the story have it that the scientists ran screaming from the site, or that since the discovery conversions to Christianity are occurring at an unprecedented rate.

If there is a Hell under Siberia, scientists have yet to discover it. What we have here is an enthralling legend that's been spun off an actual event.

In 1984, an article about an experimental well in Russia's Kola Peninsula appeared in Scientific American. The Kola well reached 12 kilometers into the ground, where scientists encountered rare rock formations, flows of gas and water, and temperatures up to 180�. (That's 180�, folks, not the 2,000� usually reported in any "Scientists Discover Hell!" screed. It was hot, but it wasn't hellishly so.)

Those who did the actual drilling of this very real well did not break through to a hollow centre, and certainly no piteous screams of the damned were heard. That part � all of it � was pure embellishment added after this real event was turned into a legend. (Yes, we know that any number of web sites offer audio clips purporting to be the screams of the damned as recorded in the Well to Hell, and all of them sound like they could be the noise from a typical bar on a busy Friday evening.)

The report on the digging of that well and the difficulties encountered during the project were collided with someone's vision of what should have been found down there. A little exaggerating about depth and temperature, some fabrication about hollow centres and screams, and all of a sudden there was this great story to throw back at those who claim there is no God.

Though it's impossible to pinpoint when the news story about a well in Russia transformed into a story about scientists breaking into Hell or who was responsible for that transformation, we do know that in 1989 the Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN) aired a "Scientists Discover Hell" story and placed the event as happening in the Kola Peninsula. A Norwegian schoolteacher visiting California heard that broadcast and took the story back to Norway with him. He then mailed it to a Christian magazine in Finland. In the form of a letter from a reader, it reached a Finnish missionaries newsletter. From there it returned to the United States, reaching both the TBN people and other evangelists who then claimed they had gotten it from a respected Finnish scientific journal.

In the spring of 1990, the legend as we now know it appeared in both Praise The Lord (February) and Midnight Cry (April). Debunkings of it showed up in Christianity Today (July) and Biblical Archaeology Review (November). Even so, the Weekly World News ran the story in 1992, this time setting it in Alaska and claiming thirteen oil rig workers were killed when the Devil came roaring up out of the ground.

You can't beat that for embellishment.

Barbara "just a spoonful of auger helps the 'men has sinned' go down" Mikkelson

Last updated: 31 December 1998

[Edited on 17-11-2003 by ladyspiritguide]

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sapphire
VanishingPoint, rest assured, Hell is a Myth 100% Guaranteed! As another user here said, it was created by the Zoroastrian Religion and has been used to 'control' the people ever since.

Besides the Zoroastrian origin, the Greeks had some influence (by combining their own religion & Norse concepts about afterlife), the Romans kicked in another 2 cents & then the Religious Hierarchy of medieval Europe made some changes too.

A lot of the misconceptions about Hell were also based upon some mistranslations & misinterpretations of the ancient Hebrew religion...Various translations of the Hebrew word "sheol" came out as "grave" or "pit" (literally, the hole in the ground where the dead are buried). Misinterpretations tended to associate "pit" with Gehenna (which *is* an actual place where children & infants were sacrificed to the flame by Hebrew enemies). When added to the Greek & Norse combination of Hel, then further embelished by the Roman Catholic Church, this is how the concept of Hell got to where it is today.

I've got a link to a very good resource about Hell as described by the actual scriptures (& how it was altered at various points in history) in Chapter Two of Future Shock. It's also the same link that I'd posted in the old thread about this particular hoax.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Hey dude, look at the date. If you had waited another day, it would have been a solid year between posts on this topic. I don't know why but I love to see these old topics come up again. Its nostalgic.

well and now its been like 3 years.

why is this thread still open?!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari

Originally posted by astrocreep
Hey dude, look at the date. If you had waited another day, it would have been a solid year between posts on this topic. I don't know why but I love to see these old topics come up again. Its nostalgic.

well and now its been like 3 years.

why is this thread still open?!!!

I don't think they close threads, they just get forgotten about til someone like you digs it up.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
ah, i see. well, ignorance denied then.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Even if its a hoax or not that also freaked the out of me.

I heard some ladies scream or something but wtf was that kind of dude saying : blulala blulahe blollllhhuaaaloooo etc ( could that be a tortured dude or satan / if it was meant to be ? )

please, watch your language

[edit on 23-7-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
After hearing this on Coast to Coast Radio show with George Noory, me and my wife listened to it several times. Remove the context of "HELL" from it, and what it sounds like is a Indoor Mall. Probably on the weekend. The screaming you hear is children playing. And the chit-chatter of thousand voices. There is three parts I can pick-out of it. Numberous human voices talking. (children) Screaming. And A drowning sound like a loud speaker or general announcement system speaking.

Snopes says it comes from a bar, but at bars you'd hear clanking of glasses and music. Those sounds are not present.

If you live near an indoor mall, go to the food court with a tape or digital recorder and record during the lunch-rush, Record it from various locations in and near the food court and you will get the same results.

posted on Jul, 23 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
it was a good hoax though, I was hooked on reading it from page one

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join