It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23 - cultural meme or independent weirdness?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

South Korea confirms outbreak of H5N1 bird flu
Case is the nation’s first in 3 years; ministry orders 236,000 poultry culled

Source.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I've seen loads of 23s lately - there's a few in Battlestar Galactica, for example - but this one from the 9/11 timeline really caught my eye:

Shortly after 9:00 a.m., United Airlines Flight 23 receives a warning message from flight dispatcher Ed Ballinger. Flight 23 is still on a Newark, New Jersey, runway, about to take off for Los Angeles. Apparently in response to Ballinger’s message, the crew tells the passengers there has been a mechanical problem and returns to the departure gate. A number of Middle Eastern men (one account says three, others say six) argue with the flight crew and refuse to get off the plane. Security is called, but they flee before it arrives. [CBS News, 9/14/2001; Chicago Daily Herald, 4/14/2004] Later, authorities check their luggage and find copies of the Koran and al-Qaeda instruction sheets. Ballinger suspects they got away. “When all we have is a photo from a fake ID, the chances of finding [someone] in Afghanistan or Pakistan are rather slim.”

You know, I actually used to wonder why I didn't see a flight 23 on the 9/11 lists. Now I know.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
You might want to check out this upcoming movie - THE NUMBER 23

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Hi GE, hope things are well with you. Thanks for the link. I had seen stuff about the movie ages ago (it might be mentioned earlier in the thread) but there was nothing to see at the time. Thanks for the link.

Interesting website, very creative, and the trailer makes the film look quite good. I shall have to go and see it of course. And as I was looking at the website, one of the icons you can click on said "your birthday number is 23"... and I realised with a shock that it actually is, too. Spooky.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I've been looking for that birthday number link for so long now I think I may have gone mad.

*ha ha*

FNORD!

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Alexander Valterovich Litvinenko was an ex-FSB lieutenant-colonel with KGB experience in fighting organized crime. After working in the KGB and its successor, the FSB, Litvinenko became a dissident of the organization and made accusations on Russian TV that his superiors had ordered for the assassination of Russian billionaire Boris Berezovsky. Litvinenko was subsequently discharged from the agency and later arrested in 1999 under counts that he abused his power while in command during the anti-terrorism operation in Kostroma. He was released from prison a month later after signing a pact to not leave the country...

On November 22, Litvinenko's medical staff at University College Hospital reported he had suffered a 'major setback' due to either heart failure or an overnight heart attack; he died the following day, November 23, 2006. Scotland Yard reported that "Inquiries continue into the circumstances surrounding how Mr Litvinenko, 43 years, of North London, became unwell."

Source.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
News this morning:

US plans permanent base on Moon

Man first set foot on the Moon in 1969
US space agency Nasa has said it plans to start work on a permanently-occupied base on the Moon after astronauts begin flying back there in 2020...

...Nasa announced in August that the Lockheed Martin Corporation will build the next US spaceship to take humans to the Moon.

Source.

The next spaceship, as stated build by Lockheed Martin is to be called Orion.

Nasa names new spacecraft 'Orion'

Orion will make its first flight no later than 2014
US space agency Nasa has named its new manned exploration craft Orion.
The vehicle is being developed to take human space explorers back to the Moon and potentially then on to Mars.

It is hoped the name Orion could eventually mean as much for manned space exploration as Apollo did in the 1960s and 1970s.

Its first manned flight - to the International Space Station - will take place no later than 2014 and its first flight to the Moon no later than 2020.

Source.

As reported on the 23rd of August 2006.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
After reading your reference to "Johnny-23" in Con Air, I believe that the reason he was Johnny-23 and not another number was because he had been convicted of raping 23 women. They say he would be called Johnny 600 if they knew the real number. Just lettin ya know.

posted on Dec, 7 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I was reading about do they/don't they exist? Tunnelling machines earlier. Laughed at this:

A 1986 Los Alamos report calls for using a fission powered, nuclear subselene to provide the heat to "melt rock and form a self-supporting, glass-lined tunnel suitable for Maglev or other high-speed transport modes." The report recommends burrowing beneath the surface because of the harsh lunar environment. (This would apply to Mars as well.) It further mentions that the tunnels would need to be hundreds, or thousands of kilometers long..." The actual subselenes would be automatic devices, remotely operated. In 1986, Los Alamos estimated each subselene could be built for about $50 million and transported to the Moon for anywhere from $155 million to $2,323 million.

Source.

[edit on 7/12/06 by Implosion]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
From this astonishing interview...

I got on the plane to Chicago. It was an American Airlines 727. My seat was number 23 on the left side of the plane. Next to me was a woman from Poland who had never been to the United States. Imagine that. She has to get on my plane! We drank a brandy together. We talked. Fifteen minutes before we landed, I said goodbye to the her and went to the bathroom.

I got the bombs ready, then went to the cockpit. The stewardess asked me what I needed. I said, "Give me the key to the cabin." She was paralysed. I put my hand in her pocket, took the key, and opened the cabin. There were four pilots. They didn't hear me open the door. When one of them tried to stand up, I forced him down. His name was Mitchell. I showed them the explosives and said, "This is my plane now, I am responsible for your lives, if you make a mistake, we will all go to God."

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I doubt that any numbers have any authentic significance. Mathematics and measurements certainly. Mystical numbers..7...13...666...9 are some popular examples of numbers relevant in western cultures and societies. I'm certain other cultures of the world have their own numbers of good (or bad) fortune. Superstition also plays a part in this too. How many people have static lottery numbers used regularly?
I believe people who see recurring numbers are victims of circumstance and only notice what they want to tie in with their mindset. In short you only see what you want to see. You may attribute this to pure coincidence or percieve this as some sort of sign.
I have had no such experiences with recurring numbers unless I bring my time and date of birth into the equasion....05.55 18/05/1955.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Dr. Pepper has 23 flavors. Mysterious, haha.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Just found this one... if the dollar crashes, this was an important precursor:

Discontinuance of M3

On March 23, 2006, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System will cease publication of the M3 monetary aggregate. The Board will also cease publishing the following components: large-denomination time deposits, repurchase agreements (RPs), and Eurodollars. The Board will continue to publish institutional money market mutual funds as a memorandum item in this release.

The Fed

posted on Dec, 16 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I have a 23 on the back of my favorite light jacket.

If I become Master of the World....you'll know why.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
"Thai Stocks Lose 23 bn $ in Value in Today's Session"

Dec. 19 (Bloomberg)

Thailand's government scrapped currency controls on international equity investors one day after their imposition by the central bank sent the stock market plunging the most in 16 years.

The government lifted a requirement that banks lock up 30 percent of new foreign-currency deposits for a year for funds earmarked for stocks, Finance Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula said in Bangkok. The rule had prompted selling by investors that wiped out $23 billion of market value in Thai stocks.

Source.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Oooh, whacking great 23 in the movie on this thread.

General Eyes, I'm surprised you didn't post it here, you saw the movie first... and I do like the cleanliness of your new logo... but I shall miss the Strangelove gif terribly. That, and the "I can WALK!" in your sig made me smile EVERY time.

Some people are easily pleased.

Nonetheless, change is good. Carry on!

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I had to shift the pardigm to keep up with my flow of consciousness. Been a weird month all around - good, but weird.

I think this 23 on the back of my jacket is doing things to my head.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Is it sneaking up the back of your neck and tousling your hair?

Or pushing your sunglasses down your nose?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Ever since I started wearing that hoodie out in public, a lot more people have made eye contact and have been smiling at me - and that does wonders for my sense of being part of a realtively new community.

When I first moved here, it was absolute murder on my senses - so I thought perhaps a visual display of my affiliations, interests and "agendas" (lol) might be in order...and it darn well worked.

Now - what's the common thread linking all these bright shining faces me wonders.....

ALL HAIL 23! I CAN WALK!

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Anybody familiar with David Hilbert's 23 mathematical problems?

Hilbert's address of 1900 to the International Congress of Mathematicians in Paris is perhaps the most influential speech ever given to mathematicians, given by a mathematician, or given about mathematics. In it, Hilbert outlined 23 major mathematical problems to be studied in the coming century. Some are broad, such as the axiomatization of physics (problem 6) and might never be considered completed. Others, such as problem 3, were much more specific and solved quickly. Some were resolved contrary to Hilbert's expectations, as the continuum hypothesis (problem 1).

Here's a good link.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join