It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23 - cultural meme or independent weirdness?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
Implosion, this is slightly off-topic, but I couldn't help but notice from that chart you posted earlier on this page that the 2012 winter solstice is noted at precisely 11:11.

I noticed that myself, I think it's got something to do with a big white bunny...

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
oh, how I love that punctual bunny.

back on topic, today (September 23rd) is the anniversary of:

-The return of Lewis and Clark
-The discovery of the planet Neptune
-Billy the Kid's first recorded arrest
-The first recorded traffic fatality (1897)
-Sigmund Freud's suicide
-Benito Mussolini's reinstatement of the Italian Facist state
-Harry Truman's announcement that the Soviets had the Bomb
-The passage of the Internal Security Act of 1950 (which has provisions for wartime suppression of free speech and concentration camps by and for Americans, among other things, and has never been repealed)
-Tricky Dick Nixon's famous "Checkers" speech
and
-The birth of the "Paul is Dead" meme.

quite a day.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Another, brought to my attention by this thread:

"These documents don't tell us anything about UFOs but they do show how desperate the MoD have been to conceal the interest which the intelligence services had in the subject," said Dr Clarke.

The trail begins with a request, in 1976, from a UFO enthusiast called Julian Hennessy for access to the MoD's records on UFO sightings. A note from the UFO desk to the MoD's head of security on March 23 shows that officials intended to refuse him access on the grounds that the files contain confidential information and "very little of value to a serious scientific investigator".

Source.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This chick gets everywhere:

Monday, 25th September 2006, 12:23

Paris Hilton has caused outrage by starring in a wine advert just weeks after being arrested for drink driving.

Source.

[edit on 26/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I downloaded the Google Web Accelerator this morning, and just now, quite randomly, decided to check the performance stats. Here is the information I was presented with:

Please note the number of pages loaded.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
My attention was also drawn to The Global Consciousness Project this afternoon, thanks to this thread.

As i was idly reading, this paragraph jumped out at me:

We have made 223 formal hypothesis tests based on intuitive grounds educated by accumulating experience. A "rigorous" subset excludes 13 inadequately specified or partially redundant cases identified in an external review. An error was made in the original analytical recipes for all New Year events, and the recipe for the variance analyses was changed in 2004. Although the New Year Events are still in the summary, it may be argued they should be excluded. The GCP Hypothesis Registry provides narrative descriptions of tests made up to mid 2003, and formal specifications, including identification of the rigorous subset, are given in the Formal Hypothesis list.

Source.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I've been spending some time reading through tinWiki recently. There are undoubtedly many instances of the holy 23 within its pages, but this is one in particular that jumped out at me.

Wernher von Braun
Born March 23, 1912 and died June 16, 1977.
This man was one of the leading experts in rocket technology and its development both in Germany and the United States. He was the leader before and during WWII of the rocket development program. When the war came to an end he gained entry to the United States VIA Operation Paperclip where he worked on the American ICBM program then went on to become a Director at NASA. To this day he is known as "The Father of the United States Space Program".

Source.

Wernher von Braun, Nazi father of the US Space Program born on the 23rd.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Reading through this page after finding the link on this thread.

About three quarters down the page, there is an embedded video. Apparently an interview with an EBE at military facility S4 in Los Alamos. It looks like this:

Behold, the all knowing 23.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
i noted at some point today that, as of the present, the great state of Ohio has executed 23 people since its reinstatement of the death penalty in 1999.

posted on Oct, 3 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I'm currently reading Cash. Johnny Cash's autobiography, and I have to admit to cracking a smile while reading this paragraph:

At a time when I needed a four-wheel-drive vehicle and had decided that I really wanted it to be a Range Rover, I was flipping through The Robb Report when I saw a photo of the one I had to have. It was an '89 model that had been used in the French production of the movie The Jungle Book, and it featured an appropriate paint job: a base of matte black, my favorite color, embellished all over with brightly colored, hand-painted jungle plants and animals, sort of Rousseau-esque but more primitive (for all you art lovers). And it was a bargain! Only twenty-three thousand dollars would make it mine. That price, furthermore, just happened to coincide with the amount of money my brother Tommy, as executor of our mother's estate, had just told me to expect in the mail; all the legalities had been satisfied, and that was my share.

Cash - The autobiography of Johnny Cash [with Patrick Carr]
ISBN 0-00-274080-X

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
North Korea conducts nuke test

South Korea's presidential Blue House said a tremor of magnitude 3.58 to 3.7 had been detected in North Korea at 2:35 a.m. British time on Monday.

Source.

[edit on 8/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Continuing the nuke theme:

The U.S. has carried out 1,030 nuclear weapons tests (the last and final test on 23 September 1993).

Since 16 July 1945 there have been 2,044 tests worldwide, the equivalent of one test occurring somewhere in the world every nine days for the last fifty years.

Source.

Taken from here.

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Another big story with wide reaching consequences, another 23:

Japan was the top importer of U.S. beef, buying 240,000 tonnes valued at $1.4 billion in 2003. After the discovery of the first case of BSE in the U.S. on December 23, 2003, Japan stopped U.S. beef imports in December 2003.

Source.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
From the new season of Battlestar Galactica (living up to its strong tradition!):

A suicide bomber struck and 23 Cylons were critically injured (14 had to be euthanased).

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
i guess this sort of sucks, but my father passed away after 23 happy years of marriage to my mother.

fnord.

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
i guess this sort of sucks, but my father passed away after 23 happy years of marriage to my mother.

fnord.

I'm really sorry man. Like I said on the other thread, if you need anyone to talk to, whatever, I'm a U2U away. I mean that.

Take care.

[edit on 11/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
"Hold on. You have to slow down. You're losing it. You have to take a breath. Listen to yourself. You're connecting a computer bug I had with a computer bug you might have had and some religious hogwash. You want to find the number 216 in the world, you will be able to find it everywhere. 216 steps from a mere street corner to your front door. 216 seconds you spend riding on the elevator. When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, you will filter everything else out and find that thing everywhere."

(Sol in the movie Pi)

I think this is true ... when you WANT to find a number, you will find it everywhere. Heck everyone keeps posting dates but no one has mentioned that almost all of them have a 19 in them.

That being said it is fun to find occurences of a given number. I grew up in Chicago so 23 has always meant something to me.

Another one that pops into my head is a Dave Matthews Band lyric from the song Dancing Nancies:

"23 and so tired of life"

posted on Oct, 11 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiverz
I think this is true ... when you WANT to find a number, you will find it everywhere.

I completely agree. Indeed, I think that Robert Anton Wilson uses the "23 enigma" to illustrate exactly this point.

"Who is the Master who makes the grass green?"

That being said, there are examples that are beyond the pale, you only have to survey this thread to find some of them, here is another:

"Mad Dog" Coll was shot on 23rd Street when he was 23 years old; a year later, Dutch Shultz (who paid for the Coll assassination) was himself fatally shot on October 23, 1935. Mark Krompier, king of the Harlem numbers racket, was non-fatally shot on the same October 23, 1935. ("It's got to be one of them coincidences," he told police.) Schultz's killer Charlie Workman, served 23 years of a life sentence and was then paroled.

Robert Anton Wilson's Cosmic Trigger Volume I [Final Secret Of The Illuminati]
ISBN 1-56184-003-3

[edit on 11/10/06 by Implosion]

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   
You also have the Law of Fives illustrating human abilities to find patterns... but RAW does seem to think that there is something genuinely spooky about the number 23.

He's not been doing too well lately, btw:

www.rushkoff.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
That's not good news, still I have to laugh. Did you notice the address?

You can also send a check payable to Robert Anton Wilson to
Dennis Berry c/o Futique Trust
P.O. Box 3561
Santa Cruz, CA 95063.

9+5+0+6+3=23

RAW wrote about finding what you're looking for in Prometheus Rising. The concept is laid out quite nicely here.

This is the diary of a practical experiment suggested by Robert Anton Wilson in his book "Prometheus Rising" and designed to illustrate a fundamental psychological and parapsychological phenomenon - What one believes shapes one's reality and what the thinking mind thinks, the proving mind will prove. Here is the experiment outline in full. I have substituted the word 'quarter' for 'penny' in this extract:

Visualize a penny vividly, and imagine vividly that you are going to find such a penny in the street. Then, look for the penny every time you take a walk, meanwhile continuing to visualize it. See how long it takes you to find the penny.

Explain the above experiment by the hypothesis of "selective attention", that is, believe that there are lots of lost pennies everywhere and you were bound to find one eventually. Go looking for another penny.

Explain the above by the alternative "mystical" hypothesis that "mind controls everything". Believe that you made the penny manifest in the universe. Go looking for another penny.

This is why I believe, in at least some small part, the "23 Enigma" illustrates the same phenomena.

[edit on 12/10/06 by Implosion]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join