It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23 - cultural meme or independent weirdness?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Sorry, I tried to resist.

It beat me though.

Fnord.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I saw the Kinross thing... it's weird, I don't really bother with it now... but I'm really glad you put it on the thread.

But what does the above post mean? (The stuff in the box, that is)

All hail Discordia.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Hey Rich. It's cut out of a screen capture from this page, the post in question is this one, and it was just too damn beautiful to resist.

I love this thread.

I can't leave this post without adding another 23, so here we go:

From the original source quoted on this thread:

Signed by a senior director at the International Atomic Energy Agency, Vilmos Cserveny, the letter raises objections over the committee's report released on 23 August.

It says the report was wrong to say that Iran had enriched uranium to weapons-grade level when the IAEA had only found small quantities of enrichment at far lower levels.

Source.

[edit on 14/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Nice one!

Originally posted by Implosion
I love this thread.

Me too.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Here's one:

Chicago - Prosecutors say a 29-year-old man travelling with his mother desperately did not want her to know he had packed a sexual aid for their trip to Turkey.

So he told security it was a bomb, officials said.

Madin Azad Amin was stopped by officials on August 16 after guards found an object in his baggage that resembled a grenade, prosecutors said.

You know, it still makes me laugh. Anyway, notice the date?

Penis pump 'bomb': Man charged
23/08/2006

Source.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I found this it has to do with time

Note: The value 60 for ss might sometimes be needed during an inserted leap second in an atomic time scale like Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). A single leap second 23:59:60 is inserted into the UTC time scale every few years as announced by the International Earth Rotation Service in Paris, to keep UTC from wandering away more than 0.9 s from the less constant astronomical time scale UT1, which is defined by the actual rotation of the earth. In practice you are not very likely to see a clock showing 23:59:60. Most synchronized clocks resynchronize again to UTC some time after a leap second has happened, or they temporarily slow down near the time of a leap seconds, to avoid any disruption that an out-of-range timestamp might otherwise cause.

An example time is

23:59:59

which represents the time one second before midnight.

As with the date notation, the separating colons can also be omitted as in

and the precision can be reduced by omitting the seconds or both the seconds and minutes as in

23:59, 2359, or 23

It is also possible to add fractions of a second after a decimal dot or comma, for instance the time 5.8 ms before midnight can be written as

23:59:59.9942 or 235959.9942

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Another beauty:

Originally posted by johnlear

I used to show this same picture (Copernicus2) to Bob Lazar. He thought I was nuts pointing various objects I claimed were ‘something’.

One day, after showing him some more ‘objects’, as I was leaving his house he said, “You know John, I am going to have to kill myself if any of this stuff (moon stuff) turns out to be true.

I quickly had him sign a statement to that effect, dated August 23, 1996.

Source.

Also 1996: 9+9+6-1=23

If we look at the second half of the source quoted above, we have a connection not only with the holy 23, but also the law of fives:

Originally posted by johnlear

He asked how he might save his life. I said just sign this, and gave him this note to sign which he did, August 5, 1998.

August 5, 1998

Of course 2+3=5

From the Principia Discordia:

[edit on 18/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Here's a good one:

07.40: The London King’s Cross train leaves Luton station. There are
conflicting accounts of their behaviour on the train. Some witnesses
report noisy conversations, another believes he saw 2 of them
standing silently by a set of train doors. The 4 stood out a bit from
usual commuters due to their luggage and casual clothes, but not
enough to cause suspicion. This was the beginning of the summer
tourist period and Luton Station serves Luton Airport.
08.23: The train arrives at King’s Cross, slightly late due to a delay further
up the line....

So the London bombers arrive at 8:23, having caught the 7:40 from Luton - except that that train wasn't "slightly late due to a delay further up the line" - it was actually cancelled on that day. Exactly which train the bombers took, if they did, is something of a mystery: and how there is so little CCTV footage of them - and what there is, is suspect, as it is suspiciously cropped and possibly photoshopped - is a bigger mystery still.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This is a good one...

I'm watching 9/11 Mysteries, a particularly good and rather new documentary that focuses on the demolition of the WTC buildings, and at 1:18 there's discussion of how there are two types of debris: either tiny fragments of interior items, or massive steel columns. (There was previously a rather gruesome discussion of the fact - which I'd not heard hitherto - that bone fragments of victims had been found on the rooves of neighbouring buildings.)

So it seems that workmen involved in constructing the steel framework and core might sometimes put, into the hollow steel beams, beercans or newspapers. And sure enough, inside one of the columns, there's a copy of the NYT, and we can see the rather macabre detail of a headline - "Judy Garland, 47, found dead".

Anyone guess the date of the paper?

Monday, June 23, 1969.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

New Mexico Department of Health officials confirmed the tainted bag of spinach was found after a person who ate some of the leafy greens became one of 146 people in 23 states sickened by the outbreak. One person has died.

Source.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I've got a good one here...

If you go to this page and watch the video, you'll see John Dean come out with a rather surprising statistic about 3/4 of the way through...

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
And another one!

Have a look at this page.

n 1992, an official U.S. unmanned Defense Department (DOD) mission to the Moon was announced by the Pentagon's Ballistic Missile Defense Organization (BMDO). The first return to the Moon by the United States in 23 years, the mission was officially termed "the Deep Space Program Science Experiment" but has become better known by its public nickname "Clementine". Within a record two years of its origination, the completed BMDO Clementine spacecraft was dispatched to lunar orbit, commencing January 25, 1994.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   

The cause of the seasons is that the rotation axis of the Earth is not perpendicular to its orbital plane, but currently makes an angle of about 23.44

Source.

The autumn equinox this year falls on 23/09:

[edit on 22/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Twenty-three people died and 10 were injured when an elevated magnetic train ploughed into a maintenance vehicle in north-western Germany.
The train, which floats on a monorail via a magnetic levitation system called maglev, was going at nearly 200km/h (120 mph) when it crashed near Lathen.

Damaged carriages were left balancing on track 5m (16ft) in the air, hampering rescue efforts.

The accident happened at about 1000 (0800 GMT), on a 31.8km (20 miles) test track from Lathen to Doerpenwhich is used for tourist trips and to demonstrate the technology.

Source.

[edit on 22/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Suddenly they're coming thick and fast: from
CNN

LATHEN, Germany (AP) -- A high-tech train that floats on powerful magnetic fields smashed into a maintenance car on an elevated test track Friday, killing 23 people and injuring 10 -- the first fatalities on a maglev train.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Whoa! How come I missed THIS?

On September 23, 2001, by Executive Order 13224, I declared a national emergency with respect to persons who commit, threaten to commit, or support terrorism... I took this action to deal with the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States constituted by the grave acts of terrorism and threats of terrorism committed by foreign terrorists, including the terrorist attacks ... of September 11, 2001... Because the actions of these persons who commit, threaten to commit, or support terrorism continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the United States, the national emergency declared on September 23, 2001 ... must continue in effect beyond September 23, 2006. Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to persons who commit, threaten to commit, or support terrorism.

GEORGE W. BUSH

THE WHITE HOUSE,

September 21, 2006.

'Nuff said.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
check out this one, just in.
Apparently, a french intelligence leak revealed that Osama Bin Laden died in Pakistan on ...
*drumroll**
august 23 2006

details here
and in this thread

mister Jones

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Another:

Personal Sighting 18:05 GMT 23/09/06

I noticed a metallic object travelling north-west. It's hard to estimate its shape, altitude or speed but it appeared to be travelling at crusing altitude of an airliner at about twice the speed. There was no trail behind it and it was still visible when it passed by one of the high whispy clouds.

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Movie Jeepers Creepers

every 23rd spring for 23 days it gets to eat

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Implosion, this is slightly off-topic, but I couldn't help but notice from that chart you posted earlier on this page that the 2012 winter solstice is noted at precisely 11:11. Talk about your convergence of oddball theories.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join