It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best RPG ever?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
i know i prolly replied in this thread or similar thread

but who cares?

it still stands

Fallout I, Fallout II, FF7, Phantasy Star IV

oblivion was craptastic crap that n00bs spew as gold... it's EYE candy.

and what about digitial devil saga? that game p0n3ed like stalone.

zelda is kew if you're 10 yrs old.

and also

Wizardy 8 pretty much pwned all other contenders. so yeah if you disagree...

take the tyson approach and biiiiiite meh, but gently.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
Great, now I know I'm gonna be a Sith Lord... Good thing I don't know what the heck a Sith Lord is! However, I know what a light saber is (saw that tubby kid in that amazingly hilarious video passed around the web!), and figure a blaster is some kind of laser pistol or gun...

All I wanted to do was let other people have the chance to complete an immense game with a great ending without ruining it...Sorry I wanted other people to enjoy the ending who haven't played it yet....:shk:

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:23 AM
link   
No, I know, I was just kidding, since it's an old game I figure the cat's already out of the bag... just, I haven't played it yet but now plan to very soon after hearing all of the great feedback!

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
hahaha GOOD! its an awesome game, as you already know, so I hope you enjoy playing it...are you going to get it for Xbox or PC?

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I'm going to get it for the PC, I don't have an Xbox - as much as I'd like to get a 360, I'd probably feel naked if I didn't have my news or courttv on semi-silently in the background!

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Yea, I have KOTOR II for both PC and xbox. The gameplay is the exact same, but I lost the xbox version for a little bit and got the PC version so I could finish. After about a week, I cleaned my room to find under my bed my PSP, DS, 3 xbox games (including KOTOR II) and $15. Lol. I recommend playing it on PC if your card is powerful enough. Nothing less than a 256 express. It's overkill, but xbox version lags somewhat (if you played KOTOR I then you know what I mean).

May the force be with you!

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
AWESOME PICTURE! I remember that city/level...you had to figure out that murder and such...and you couldnt get off because your passcard was bad or something of that sort? its been a while since I played KOTOR II...but awesome!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Yup. You had to go there in order to get off of the jungle planet. And there were all of those animals and you just learned your mind control with them. That was my favorite planet. The rain was the best. Lol.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
In KOTOR I, my favorite world had to be the beach/elders world...The one where your ship crashes due to the starforge...Fighting those mandolorians was kick ass! and the guy inside the temple...Damn, what a great game!

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I would say that the one thing that I didn't like about the KOTOR games was the dumb "wanna-be Yoda" Jedi master that you meet on Dantooine (I think that was the planet). But yea, they could atleast of gotten the same voice or whatnot. I mean I know that they are an actual race, but still, if you are going to have a Yoda looking character (I would say his race but Lucas intentionally kept that a secret) in a game, then please try to get Frank Oz's voice correct. Lol. And he was a crap green, unlike the real Yoda's "life" green.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   
first of all

if you're going to ask the best rpg ever you have to split the RPG's into two seperate groups.

There are japan style RPG's, and Western Style RPG's. Japan RPG's are things like final fantasy and KOTOR ( no just because a game was created in the west doesnt make it a western RPG) and Western RPG's are things like Fable, Morrowind, Oblivion, etc.

The main difference is the type of battle interface. Western RPG style has an active battle system where you do the fighting instead of picking commands. Japan style is where you are essentially just picking commands to do the fighting.

in that case, The elder scrolls gets my vote hands down for best western series. Final Fantasy for best japan series. Although there are games that will be coming out that will blow final fantasy out of the water. Such as the Oddysey for the 360.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I've yet to hear of that game. Hmm...I might have to look into it. But yes, as much as I like SW, I would have to agree with you 100% when it comes to those two choices. FF and ES4.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by McGuirk
Although there are games that will be coming out that will blow final fantasy out of the water. Such as the Oddysey for the 360.

Haven't heard of that yet. Is that based on, the book by Greek writer Homer?

Also, the best RPG comming out on 360 since Oblivion will be Mass Effect (made by the same people who made the KOTOR I) I can't wait for all of them!...But enlighthen me on this Oddessey rpg...thanks

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGuirk
Although there are games that will be coming out that will blow final fantasy out of the water. Such as the Oddysey for the 360.

Umm...if you didn't know, the people that make Lost Oddysey are the same people that made FF. So I don't really think that you can beat yourself. The music as well is made by them, although I'm not too sure if Nobuo is doing this OST...Either way, it's going to be a Japanese RPG.

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Lost Odessey...wasn't that that game with the alien dude? old old game...last one they made was on Xbox 1...Or was it Abes odessey or somethin like that?

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   
i recently bought ff7 for PC and i had forgotton how outdated the graphics had become, however, and this one big however...it was still amazing. you can make the games as life like as you like and make the consoles as expenseve but you cant beat a good story.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeff teh Destroyer
i recently bought ff7 for PC and i had forgotton how outdated the graphics had become, however, and this one big however...it was still amazing. you can make the games as life like as you like and make the consoles as expenseve but you cant beat a good story.

Very true.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
sorry to burst a bunch of ya'lls bubbles but i personally didnt like oblivion i beat it way too fast and things get pretty repetitive also its way too easy after the first oblivion gate i beat everything in one or two hits...
but my personal opinion the best RPG ever!! was friggin everquest it was the first MMO i ever played so its my fave

the king

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
IMO, Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, is not only the best RPG of all time, but the best game ever made. It had an extremely deep and engaging storyline with very complex NPC interaction. The random NPC comments and conversations were a great touch. Gameplay itself was top notch, as was the interface, including gameplay mechanics. And as far as I'm concerned, no RPG is complete without a character generation process and BG2 had a great one. Graphically, it still holds up well (and IMO, looks much better than the 3D Neverwinter Nights). The soundtrack was outstanding. Best of all, the gameworld was enormous, lending to a tremendous amount of replayability.

Other honorable mentions, in no particular order:

1) Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
The closest contender for the top spot. It had everything BG2 did except one thing: balanced gameplay. The game was maddeningly difficult early on, but ridiculously easy by level 25 or so. Considering that most gamers would be around level 45 upon completing the game, this was an obvious problem. Otherwise, the game was brilliant. OK, so this actually IS my #2 RPG ever.

2) Final Fantasy X.
A great game, with great character depth, but the linear gameplay drags it down somewhat. On the bright side, this was one FF game that allowed the player some real choices in how to develop each character and was a welcome addition to the series. I consider most of these games to be a genre all their own, more like a cross between an adventure game and an interactive novel. This is obviously a great game, but I just barely qualify FF-X as an RPG.

3) Fallout 1
Another great, great, game. But again, it had a huge weakness: it was FAR too short. There were a decent number of sidequests, but the main quest (and a few sidequests thrown in for good measure) could easily be completed in an afternoon.

4) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Another great game that was just far too short. I can complete the main storyline and all but a few minor sidequests in 12-14 hours.

5) Deus Ex.
I can't make up my mind whether I consider this an RPG or FPS; in either case, its my #2 overall game ever. It does everything extremely well, its just not quite as good of a pure RPG as some of the others on this list.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Ive just started playing oblivion from the beginning again to get some of the achievements i cant seem to get with my character on my previous save

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join