It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best RPG ever?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Crystalis, NES, old school.

-O

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I'm surprised so many people listed Oblivion! It seems that on other gaming forums (Bethesda's included!) people bash it. People always complain about the level-scaling of the monsters. While at first I thought it may be a valid criticism, but then I played Morrowind (which the Oblivion haters loved, and which I hadn't previously played because I had a crappy computer and got a new one just as Oblivion was released) and while it is also a very interesting game, it seemed ridiculous that after I finished the Imperial Legion guild-line (the first one I did) my character was so strong that even the most powerful and legendary bad-guys were dead in literally one or two hits. (And it still felt like I was in the beginning of the game, time invested-wise.) Ok, rant over, back to topic :p

I personally loved Oblivion, but I must maintain Betrayal at Krondor is my all-time favorite. What the heck, I'll also mention Betrayal in Antara - awesome game, but no Krondor.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Aye, I must agree with you. Morrowind was hella fun, but after a while you just hit something and it falls down dead. I got up to about level 60 something once. I killed the final boss in something like 3 hits. I'm amazed it took that long actually. There's actually strategy to the fighting in Oblivion, it's not just run up and hit with hammer:bash:. The world is immersive, but there's no bathrooms (Including outhouses which is more realistic for the setting or chamberpots). But the game is absolutely amazing.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKaholic
I like Knights of th eOld Republic 1 and 2, Jade Empire, and Morrowwind

This is my kind of guy. Oblivion (the newest Elder Scrolls) and KOTOR I and II are my favorites. If Zelda classified as an rpg then I would nominate it, but I think that it falls more towards the action/adventure genre.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CalmStateOfMind
If Zelda classified as an rpg then I would nominate it, but I think that it falls more towards the action/adventure genre.

Zelda and Metroid are both RPGs in my eyes. If Castlevaina Symphony of the night is an RPG, then Mtroid and Zelda definately are too.

-O

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well, I don't see all Zelda's as being rpg's. Link's Awakening was one, and Majora's Mask, but not A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. I mean, the way that I see it, if in the game there are tasks that are optional, not needed to complete the game (the skullatas don't count) then I see it as an rpg. But there arn't any like that in Link to the Past or in Ocarina of time.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I was personally blown away by KOTOR but kind of dissapointed in KOTOR 2.

I also enjoyed the first fallout alot.

I also think another even older game that was just a great rpg was Syndicate if anyone remembers sending out your cyborg mercenaries to blow up people and buildings while you attempted to take over the earth one country at a time will know what I'm talking about.

For me though the best RPG of all time, hands down is Baldurs Gate II Shadows of Amn. And of course the throne of bhaal expansion which could be considered part of the same game.

I personally think the entire BG series is very strong for the most part and never winter nights and it's expansions and sequals was very cool as well but for me the strongest of the series and the strongest best replayable RPG of all time is BG II.

Spiderj

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Yea, same here with the whole KOTOR II...and what was up with the theme color being green??? Please tell me that you know what I'm talking about...It was awful. But still a good game.

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Yeah, Kotor II...storyline was CRAP compared to Kotor 1...Not to mention, Kotor II was much shorter IMO...

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I played Syndicate, but never thought it was an RPG... I got really interested in the KOTOR series since people said they were built on the NWN engine... would I enjoy the KOTOR games if I never saw a single "Star Wars" movie?

[edit on 13-8-2006 by AlphaHumana]

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well do you know the basic function of a lightsaber? Yeah, the stories are based in the star wars universe, and the similarities end there. There's a little catching up you may need to do on some basic terminology, but if you know what a lightsaber, a jedi, and a blaster are, you're set to have a ripping good time. They don't require prior knowledge of star wars, but there are a few things a dedicated geek
can point out in game. Go get 'em and start having fun today.

This public service announcement brought to you by Bunnies when he's tired.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Lol yea, I'm a tad bit of a Star Wars nerd. I've got quite a collection of signed memorabilia of the cast from all 6 movies, ranging from posters to scripts to OST's and the entire collection on the Star Wars Marvel comics. Some people bash me about it, but to me it's a healthy obsession. Lol.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
the best rpg ever was quite simply final fantasy. this game was the first rpg that had amazing fun factor. it opened the door for the many rpg games to follow. of course it wasnt as refined as rpg games are today, but it is the spark that started the fire and without such early success , game makers wouldnt have seen the potential that is rpg. peace

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yea, FF isn't too bad at all. I think that X was the best. I replayed VII the other day and was still just as satified with it today as I was back when it first came out. Good choice.

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   

by calmstateofmind
...and what was up with the theme color being green??? Please tell me that you know what I'm talking about...It was awful. But still a good game.

Hah, I actually like the green, I'm a big green fan.

by allinthemind89
Yeah, Kotor II...storyline was CRAP compared to Kotor 1...Not to mention, Kotor II was much shorter

I also thought some of it seemed really slapped together and there seemed to be story lines that had been developed and then abandoned in the rush to get out the sequel.

Though I did enjoy the more in depth light saber construction in KOTOR II it just couldn't hold a candel to the original.

by alphahumana
I played Syndicate, but never thought it was an RPG... I

The only reason I call it a RPG is because you as the player take on the roll of a crime overlord. I thought they really conveyed that well and help make it more immersive.

I really wish somebody would do an update of that game.

Spiderj

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
i think the best moment in rpg history is the moment you realize your the evil sith lord in kotor . i forget the name for its been a while,malak maybe, but i was so taken by that and it gave me goose bumps and its easily one of the best moments for me in my video game history. i was sad that i could never go back and relive the suprise i felt. what a story kotor has. did anyone else get goose bumps and just competely fall in love with kotor at that moment? peace

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
/\
/\
l
l
l

Hey, you may not want to do that without a spoiler warning in case some of have not played it...Beacause, that is a great ending to the game...and actually his name was Revan (BTW)...anyway, I would just put up a spoiler warning...

[edit on 14-8-2006 by AllinTheMind89]

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Hehe)

I totally agree with you on that one. The ending to KOTOR was just amazing. Once I found out that all of the dreams and things were from your past, I was just in shock. It really was one of the best twists to a video game that I 've ever experienced. One of the better SW games I've played, if not the best. ROTS wasn't too good though...way too short.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Great, now I know I'm gonna be a Sith Lord... Good thing I don't know what the heck a Sith Lord is! However, I know what a light saber is (saw that tubby kid in that amazingly hilarious video passed around the web!), and figure a blaster is some kind of laser pistol or gun...

Sadly, I never considered FF or other console games to be real RPGs because they didn't seem open-ended enough - as enjoyable as they were. (Don't flame me into Oblivion! pun intended
) I remember a few (well, probably more than a few) years back Forgotten Realms (is that right?) or somebody released a "The Lost Archives" which was full of old D&D (or is it AD&D? I never played the pen and paper versions) which was lots of fun - how the heck did I miss "Hillsfar" when it first came out?! Gosh, I love that game! Although be warned, if you never played those kind of games growing up you most likely will not be able get past the hurdle of dealing with 1980's graphics in 2006.

Gosh, all this nostalgic talk makes me want to go back and try to find my copy of Daggerfall (ES: II) and see if they've patched it up enough so that it doesn't crash when I open every other door... Oh yes, for the record, add "Lunar: The Silver Star" to the chatty list! It was a console RPG, but for Sega CD - if anyone even remembers that little "niche" system!

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by karby
i hate to have to tell you guys this but you're all wrong!

the greatest RPG ever would definitely have to be...
Earthbound!!
though it's pretty old...

lol I remember that.

Quite a bizarre game.

I remember the final-boss' music being particularly captivating for some reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join