It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best RPG ever?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Oh sooo many to choose from, lets see

Deus Ex, Chrono Chross/Trigger, Final Fantasy 9 (I'll limit it to one FF), Jade Cacoon, KOTR, Breath of Fire 2, Dragon Quest 8, Suikoden 4, Neverwinter Nights.

There is probally more, oh well.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I'm gonna have to agree with the OP and say FFVIII. I have finished that game probably 25 or 30 times in my life and will NEVER stop playing it. When all the kids are playing Playstation 10's I'll still have my Ps1 playing FFVIII.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Yea final fantasy's are pretty cool, american FF II and FF III are the best ones in that line of games. Morrowind was amazing, and Oblivion so far is even more amazing , simply because it is Morrowind with hyped up graphics and better gameplay, and a better fighting system... plus all the characters have voice overs instead of having to read text!

Secret of mana, secret of evermore, chrono trigger, earthbound, breath of fire series, lufia, Dragon Warrior.. .all great games..

if you really think about it... the super nintendo is THE dominant system for amazing rpgs. look at all the titles that were on it RPG wise.. amazing. You don't get near that many quality RPG games now adays..

by the way to the person who mentioned Dungeon Seige II.. I don't consider those games RPG's because they are more action adventure type games. Like Diablo/ Diablo II, Sacred, etc. When I think RPG I think when you are selecting commands to fight and such, and the damage systems are based on old school roll of the dice D&D style. The games where you actually get to control the swinging of your sword... ( see Legend Of Zelda series and Fable) are a hybrid blend of action adventure and rpg... which is real cool, but they are true pure bred rpg's in that sense if you see what im saying.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
My favorite have to be Legend of Dragoon. By when it come to what it mean to be a really good game it FF7 everything is soooooo well done great story line very remember able and so was the character's game play was really well done. But no matter what Metal Gear Solid series is the best game out there only if they a better only mode.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I gotta throw my hat in for Oblivion. It's the first truly immersive world I've ever seen in a game. The only problem is that there are no bathrooms (I'm not kidding that's the main piece of realism missing). I spent probably 30 hours just screwing around in the game and leveling up then went, OH YEAH There's a main quest too. You don't even have to do the main quest to make it fun, but the main quest is pretty damn good anyway. It's so fricking cool and well put together, now it just needs a patch for little stupid problems.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
im gunna have to say my favorites are WoW, dragonquest 8, jak and daxter series, zeldas, and of course props to the FF series, another i played for ps1 was a game called aldora awsome game,
all of them fun and entertaining games ive plaed them all and gotten some of the best things in them oh and another i really liked were the kingdom hearts series especially kingdom hearts 2

-the king

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
fallout 1 and fallout 2. followed by FF7

Definitely! Count me in!

[edit on 2006-8-5 by zer69]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Final Fantasy X, definitely! Also, MetalGear Solid
ll and KOTOR l & ll. I am also surprised no one mentioned EverQuest, hello?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
My top 10 or whatever, but in no order:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics (this game is incredible, and has an amazing story)
2. FF7 (solid, but not the best in the series)
3. FF6 (the best in the series in my view, best RPG for the SNES too)
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Secret of Mana
6. Tales of Symphonia
7. Suikoden
8. Suikoden 2
9. Destiny of an Emperor (old school NES RPG from the makes of Dynasty Warriors)
10. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Honorable mentions:
Zenosaga
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Castlevania Symphony of the Night (best side scrolling adventure EVER)
Star Tropics
Final Fantasy X (sets a new standard for visuals in an RPG)
Chrono Cross
Golden Sun: The Lost Age

-O

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
1) FFX - The ending alone should make it top!
(I keep FFX-2 repressed thanks to psychological treatment)
2) FFVII - Aeris death scene.....

3) Fable: The Lost Chapters - A great overall game with humour and magic and everything else.

Personally I think that RPG games don't include games like Morrowind or Oblivion. They are more a sandbox game, with a role to assume if you want to. For me RPG's give you a story throw you in and when its done give you a compelling, emotional sense of satisfaction in completing it, but sadness at having finished it.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to go with the Elder Scrolls series...you just cant beat Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, or Oblivion. Also, Deus Ex was great, Zelda games, and Fable wasnt too bad....BUT:

half life series still rules all!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, it had a great story and the monster merging system was pretty sweet.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Oblivion beats final fantasy. I hate ff7.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinstopshere

i definately agree...while i dont technically hate ff7 ( oh boy here come the fan boys) oblivion is waaaay better...Elderscrolls series< FF series

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllinTheMind89

i definately agree...while i dont technically hate ff7 ( oh boy here come the fan boys) oblivion is waaaay better...Elderscrolls series< FF series

Bah, Grand Theft Renaissance looks pretty, but I don't think it's anything exceptional. Now, if I could slash my sword with a Wiimote, that'd be a different story.

-O

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Big O

Bah, Grand Theft Renaissance looks pretty, but I don't think it's anything exceptional. Now, if I could slash my sword with a Wiimote, that'd be a different story.

-O

agree with you on that point...The new zelda for the Wii will be awesome with the wiimote...imagine...hacking and slashing skull soldiers, litteraly!

[edit on 9-8-2006 by AllinTheMind89]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   

...imagine...hacking and slashing skull soldiers, litteraly!

[edit on 9-8-2006 by AllinTheMind89]

I myself am imagining the "Smack that Ass" game. But that's me.

-O

JbT

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
IMO

1) Zelda - Ocarina of Time
2) FF7
3) Jade Empire
4) FF8-10
5) Morrowind (was out first, therefore I played it longer than Oblivion)
6) Oblivion
7) and on.... Mostly older system games like original zeldas and such.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Awww.... what's with all the new games and toaster... err console games? Does anyone remember Betrayal at Krondor?! My favorite game of all time for any genre - not just RPG - and it's now free to download (to promote Betrayal in Antara which came out many years later.) IMO, B@K followed by Baldur's Gate 2 (+expansion) are the greatest RPGs!

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
Awww.... what's with all the new games and toaster... err console games? Does anyone remember Betrayal at Krondor?! My favorite game of all time for any genre - not just RPG - and it's now free to download (to promote Betrayal in Antara which came out many years later.) IMO, B@K followed by Baldur's Gate 2 (+expansion) are the greatest RPGs!

My goodness Alpha! Betrayal at Krondor... that was an awesome game!! (I had forgotten about that one!!) Well, since Ive been gaming since the Atari 2600, like to put my "all time greatest" in five year intervals. (since they seemed to get more awesome and increadible every 5 years.

1985-1990
--Pools of Radiance-- (gold box)

1990-1995
--Ultima VII-- The Black Gate

1995-2000
--Baldurs Gate II--

2000-2005
--Elder Scrolls Oblivion--

Of course there are sooooo many other good ones in between, but these are the ones that made me loose sleep, and deny the existence of the rest of the world while playing them.
And that is just the list for RPG's!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join