It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA hitches a ride to the moon with India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I don't know how I missed this... I vist nasa.gov pretty regularly too. Seems NASA has cut a deal to put some instruments on the Indian Chandrayaan-1 moon mission in late '07 early '08. Which may take some cost out of the return to the moon by manned operations.

You can see NASA "squeezing" every penny out of these joint operations... data is data and the cheaper the better I suppose... just doesn't "feel" right to me. I may be biased by my age and negative opinions I hold toward "Griff and Dale". But I do find this indicative of the financial ruthlessness currently being executed. Anyway here's a link for those with an interest.

Thanx,

Victor K.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
What doesn't feel right about it? Nasa and space agencies from other countries have been working together for years. Nasa has "hitched rides" on many other countries launches over the years and other countries do the same with NASA. I don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever. People complaing aobut the amount of money NASA spends all the time, and if they can do things cheaper by using working with other countries, what's the problem?

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Like I said, I'm biased... what doesn't feel right? Hmmm. Penny-pinching? Yeah, I guess that's it. I'm sorry, I grew up with and am quite accustom to America doin' stuff "large" that's all.

Actually I applaud international joint scientific ventures. I want far more. See some of my other posts to confirm. Maybe it's just the last few administrators at NASA that are bumming me out. Not much vision, and a strangle-hold on cost containment, and now the gutting of the sciences (particularly astrobiolgy not to mention the DSN).

Sign of the times I guess. They want to put humans in orbit on a single SRB... shameful disregard for human life (another issue totally).

I really like NASA, I just want a return to the moon that doesn't get anyone dead because of cost or schedule or organizational shortcominngs or design flaws. A lady I once shook the hand of may just be on one of those launches one day... I'd like to think she wasn't doomed to be part of an SRB out of spec burn, a part, or hang fire... or explosion. Remember there's only one motor and once lit it is non-throttleable - ever seen a fireworks cork-screw out of control? Most dangerous design I can think of.

Thanx,

Victor K.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Victor,
I don't find anything wrong in cooperation between countries whether in space exploration or energy. Take for example the International Thermonuclear Experimental Fusion Reactor. The partners in the project - the ITER Parties - are the European Union (represented by EURATOM), Japan, the People´s Republic of China, India, the Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation and the USA. This project will cost billions of dollars, and expertise that is not available with any one country.

It makes sense to pool expertise and costs with other countries. It is therefore imperative that we must now think in terms of the world as one entity for the advancement of mankind as a whole, be it for the exploration of the universe or progress of mankind on Earth.

Mike

[edit on 28-5-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Hi Mike forgive me, but you addressed me so I fell obliged to defend myself against what feels like slight and innuendo, correct me if I'm wrong please. I don't want to leave anyone at ATS with the impression that I was against international co-operation or joint ventures in any way shape or form of any kind at any time ever. You got that mikesingh? Am I clear?

Please read my post from above and if you still have doubts in my sincerity then please read my other posts as I asked above. There is a button somewhere that allows that I think. I'm tired of being slagged for actually supporting NASA and international joint ventiures since the early 1960's.

Have a nice day,

Victor K.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
What doesn't feel right about it? Nasa and space agencies from other countries have been working together for years. Nasa has "hitched rides" on many other countries launches over the years and other countries do the same with NASA. I don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever. People complaing aobut the amount of money NASA spends all the time, and if they can do things cheaper by using working with other countries, what's the problem?

I dont really see anything wrong with it either and hopefully another country going to the moon will put the moon landing conspiracy to rest.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Good for you Xphiles... your entitled to an opinion too! I still think it is an indicator of penny pinching and budget crunches at NASA. Penny-wise pound foolish goes the axiom. NASA wasn't in on this Indian mission from the beginnig eh... read the link I posted to start this thread. Like I said it doesn't "feel" right. So jump all over me eh. Go ahead. I won't pursue it. LOL.

Have fun, I do,

Victor K.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
Hi Mike forgive me, but you addressed me so I fell obliged to defend myself against what feels like slight and innuendo, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Hey no, Victor, you got me all wrong! There's absolutely no question of slight or innuendo. I was simply putting forward my views about the necessity of cooperation between countries if we want to progress.

So have a beer on me....Cheers!!

rgds,
Mike

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Thank you. Let it be known from here on and forever forward that I in no way shape or form would ever do anything to discourage international co-operation on any issue especially spaceflight. I'm Canadian, I like international joint ventures.

Thank you for correcting the record. Please do not attribute views to me that name me specifically without cause and specific references. I don't drink, smoke, or do any sort of drugs. But thanx, for the offer, I'll have a nice cran-blueberry drink.

Thanx again mike,

Victor K.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

new topics

top topics

join