It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has there been a Toilet need for Fighter Pilots?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Just wondering has there ever been a toilet need for fighter pilots during a sortie?

They are crammed in the cockpit with not much room to move so if they needed the toilet they would have to eject.

Has this ever happened before in history? Im not messing around but its just somthing i was thinking about for some time

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
For male pilots there is a thing called a "piddle pack" for urination. If a flight is going to be extremely long duration adult diapers are used. I think female pilots use the diapers all of the time.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
They are crammed in the cockpit with not much room to move so if they needed the toilet they would have to eject. ...

No pilot EVERYWHERE on this world would eject without being in immediate danger of dying. No, if a fighter pilot has urinate or worse, he will simply relieve himself into his pants - it has been like that for decades, and modern pilots have a semi-diaper or other "drainage systems" so that it wouldnt become too uncomfortable - also because accidental urinating can happen at high g-forces.

Larger military planes like the B-52 sometimes have a small toilet installed.

Edit: too slow...

[edit on 26/5/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
B-2 has a small toilet, Su-32 has a small toilet.

Those are the only aircraft that I know that have toilets.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Apparently the diapers are used today... I expect that the G-Forces can make holding it in...Interesting.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Most military planes have a pee tube....A small plastic funnel attached to a tube.

When we did inspections (Navy) we would tell new guys they had to smell the tube...LOL

Then we told them what it was...

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The B-1 is capable of having a small toilet installed, most do. The B-52 has one. I wouldn't want to USE them. Picture a phone booth, then make it smaller. That's the size of the toilet we're talking about. Most ferry flights, fighter pilots will use four to five piddle packs by the time they reach their destination. I've heard they're hellaciously uncomfortable to use.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
What are they, like a cross between a ziplock bag and a condom or something?

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
It's a little tube that you fit to yourself when you put the G-suit on, and it leads to a plastic bag, like an IV bag. When you get in the plane you attach the hose to the fitting, and it leads to the bags. You can change out the bags, and store them in the cockpit.

The SR-71 and U-2 pilots have a tube that comes out the leg of their suits, because they have to wear space suits. Theirs is attached when they put the suit on. Fighter pilots, at least in the last few years, have had a tube that attaches when they have to go. You unzip, fit it, go, then zip up again.

[edit on 5/26/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Yeah, that's what I thought.

It should make cool sounds like you're cock-locking a rifle.

Also, you should be able to load it into some dispenser so you can drop it on enemies. Nothing could be more insulting and perplexing than hearing a jet fly by and getting a bag of piss dropped on you.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I was always told that there was a hose that they fitted, but there seem to be a lot of stories going around that there isn't.
According to what I've read online, it's actually, a ziplock bag top, and like an iv bag with a sponge in it. It's strictly point and shoot.

I know for a fact however that the SR and U-2 DO use a hose fitting, because you can't unzip the suit, and I've watched them suit up.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Ugh...What if you're in an SR-71 and you need...

Dun Dun Dun...

NUMBER 2?

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
They wear something similar to a diaper, with an opening for the piddle pack tube in the front. And they just have to sit there and deal with it until they land.

Speaking of number 2, I found this sound file that was played on a radio. I almost woke the house up laughing so hard.

rock103.com...

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
O.K. I think this qualifies as TOO MUCH INFO!

This completely changes the image of a brave fighter pilot returning
from a mission, knowing he might be carrying a load in his diapers.

The only thing worse would be springing a leak in weightless conditions.

Arggggh!

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

O.K. I think this qualifies as TOO MUCH INFO!

This completely changes the image of a brave fighter pilot returning
from a mission, knowing he might be carrying a load in his diapers.

The only thing worse would be springing a leak in weightless conditions.

Arggggh!

If the mission was a success who cares?

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Well I don't know what you are talking about use real language.

If your e talking about a large number of piots needed then it happened in world war 2 where in every country 18-24 year old pilots were needed so they took as much as they could into B-29's b-17's b-24's and p-51's so it was easier to get in.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Errmmmm... Browno wasnt speaking of id there was a need for fighter pilots, he asked whether fighter pilots ever felt the need to go to the toilet while inside their plane, and what would happen then

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
In 23 years (1981 - 2004) of flying fighters (F-15, F-16, F-5, MiG-29), I never flew with a diaper. Why? There isn't one for males. I've flown the F-16 across both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans twice each and have flown numerous 7+ hour combat sorties. No diapers, no relief tubes, just piddle packs. In training, it's not such a big deal; sorties last only an hour or two. If a fighter pilot can't 'hold it' and makes pee pee or doo doo in his flight suit, then he'll return to the ilk and ire of his crew chief (who's not going to clean up the mess, the offending fighter pilot is) and the jeers and sneers of his fellow fighter pilots.

There is an option that we refer to as a 'force extender' (just a slang term) which is a condom over the pilot's male parts which is connected to a tube that runs down the side of the leg and is attached to a bag. The thought here is that you don't have to whip anything out and risk spraying 'Holy Water' all over the cockpit trying to use the piddle pack. The 'force extender' is a problem in the F-16. When sitting in a semi-reclined position, there's not enough component of gravity holding what's in the bag in the bag. It's easy to get a lot of backflow. That goes in the 'Bad' column.

It's extra challenging when wearing an anti-exposure suit and trying to use the piddle pack. You're wearing several layers of undergarments and the 'jaws of death' crotch zipper on the suit itself will make you cringe. Again, leaning back in the F-16 increases the level of difficulty for the whole process.

Did the lady fighter pilots wear diapers on long missions. Don't know, never asked and never cared.

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fulcrumflyer
The thought here is that you don't have to whip anything out and risk spraying 'Holy Water' all over the cockpit trying to use the piddle pack.

I prefer the term "Stream of Justice"

Nothing would suck more than shorting out an MFD or two because you missed the pack.

[edit on 5/27/2006 by Darkpr0]

posted on May, 27 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fulcrumflyer
In 23 years (1981 - 2004) of flying fighters (F-15, F-16, F-5, MiG-29), no relief tubes

Hmmm I used to be in an EA-6B squadron (VQA132) and those planes had relief tubes, we called em pee tubes. Came up the front of the seat and stowed in a clip on the front of the seat. I wonder why don't they put them in all military planes?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join